• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday Night Football: Panthers @ Skins NOW ON ESPN

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are players out there who have fun and celebrate when they're losing? That was such a stupid comment. Is he supposed to have a smile on his face after losses?

Point was its been a shit season for those guys and he still enjoying the game
lol....I'm happy you're so happy for Cam.

opinions vary on which comment here was stupid. :scratch:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is reptec the asshat that was claiming the Redskins have such great depth? I can't keep track of all the stupid ass comments various Redskins fans have made this past year.

Dean

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and to be honest that was almost a clean hit, Cam was sliding and there really wasn't anyway the defense could get out of the way, he had already started to "launch." I get why they called it a penalty however, it's a QB
If you're talking about the play near the sidelines early in the game, the penalty was on Cam for taunting. Defender wasn't penalized, though it looked pretty iffy as to whether Cam had begun his slide before the contact...looked worse in slow-mo than real time. The helmet contact is a non-issue there as well because Cam was not a defenseless player (unless in his slide) and the defender didn't lead with the crown.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're talking about the play near the sidelines early in the game, the penalty was on Cam for taunting. Defender wasn't penalized, though it looked pretty iffy as to whether Cam had begun his slide before the contact...looked worse in slow-mo than real time. The helmet contact is a non-issue there as well because Cam was not a defenseless player (unless in his slide) and the defender didn't lead with the crown.

I know Cam was called for taunting and rightfully so. I just thought there was a flag for the hit to his head.. I didn't actually get to see the "play" live

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Cam was called for taunting and rightfully so. I just thought there was a flag for the hit to his head.. I didn't actually get to see the "play" live
No, the only flag on that play was for Cam's taunting. It's been a big topic of discussion today on the various sports networks though. Cam had no special protections on that play because he left the pocket and became a ballcarrier, but you cannot hit a player (anywhere) who has given themselves up. I guess it was the judgment of the officials that Cam hadn't yet started the slide, thus no flag for the contact. But when Cam gets up, he throws the ball at or in the vicinity of the defender, and that's what drew the taunting.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh he was sliding and the defender did lead with his helmet. Take a look.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the only flag on that play was for Cam's taunting. It's been a big topic of discussion today on the various sports networks though. Cam had no special protections on that play because he left the pocket and became a ballcarrier, but you cannot hit a player (anywhere) who has given themselves up. I guess it was the judgment of the officials that Cam hadn't yet started the slide, thus no flag for the contact. But when Cam gets up, he throws the ball at or in the vicinity of the defender, and that's what drew the taunting.

Totally got the taunting call because he clearly throws the ball at the defender. The replay did appear he was somewhat hit in the head.. However it appears the defender was already mid air when Cam started to slid... Pretty hard to call a penalty that time, though it's been called

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh he was sliding and the defender did lead with his helmet. Take a look.

I saw the play live and many replays. Again, the only issue here is whether the ref thought he started the slide before contact. The "lead with the head" thing is irrelevant unless it was the crown of the helmet in the open field (defined as outside the tackle box and > 5 yards from LOS). Many fans are confused on the "helmet to helmet" rules; there is no actual rule called "helmet to helmet."

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally got the taunting call because he clearly throws the ball at the defender. The replay did appear he was somewhat hit in the head.. However it appears the defender was already mid air when Cam started to slid... Pretty hard to call a penalty that time, though it's been called
Hitting a player in the head is not a penalty unless that player is considered defenseless, or unless the person hitting the player is leading with the crown of the helmet in the open field. Players get hit in the helmet on virtually every play.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the play live and many replays. Again, the only issue here is whether the ref thought he started the slide before contact. The "lead with the head" thing is irrelevant unless it was the crown of the helmet in the open field (defined as outside the tackle box and > 5 yards from LOS). Many fans are confused on the "helmet to helmet" rules; there is no actual rule called "helmet to helmet."

I was addressing your post saying the defender didn't lead with his helmet. Pretty sure that is any other QB he gets the call. Cam is just so disliked for his punk attitude and IMO that's why he doesn't get the same treatment other QBs do.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting a player in the head is not a penalty unless that player is considered defenseless, or unless the person hitting the player is leading with the crown of the helmet in the open field. Players get hit in the helmet on virtually every play.

Yes I know that... I was just saying I've seen plenty of QBs get the call that Cam didn't get.. Though it's within the rules and he wasn't getting the call.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was addressing your post saying the defender didn't lead with his helmet. Pretty sure that is any other QB he gets the call. Cam is just so disliked for his punk attitude and IMO that's why he doesn't get the same treatment other QBs do.
I didn't say the defender didn't lead with the helmet. I said he didn't lead with the CROWN of the helmet. The rules specifically identify that as a difference in the penalty.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say the defender didn't lead with the helmet. I said he didn't lead with the CROWN of the helmet. The rules specifically identify that as a difference in the penalty.
But he did.... in fact I'd say it's impossible to lead with the helmet without it being the crown of the helmet.

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

Page 51 article 8

Screenshot%20-%2012_20_2016%20%205_58_39%20PM.png

Screenshot%20-%2012_20_2016%20%206_03_28%20PM.png

Right there, head down top of the helmet aimed for the blow.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he did.... in fact I'd say it's impossible to lead with the helmet without it being the crown of the helmet.

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

Page 51 article 8

Screenshot%20-%2012_20_2016%20%205_58_39%20PM.png

Screenshot%20-%2012_20_2016%20%206_03_28%20PM.png

All right, at least we have the actual rules in the cross-hairs now. (And I said 5 yds but it's 3.) The rule is very specific that it must be the crown of the helmet. That's not an accident. If they didn't specifically require the blow to be delivered by that particular part of the helmet, there would be no reason to parse the language so. They would just say helmet. "Forcible contact" is not included by accident either.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can CLEARLY see on the slow-mo part of that replay that the blow was not initiated by the crown but instead a glancing blow with the side of the defender's helmet.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can CLEARLY see on the slow-mo part of that replay that the blow was not initiated by the crown but instead a glancing blow with the side of the defender's helmet.

His intent was to land a blow with the crown of the helmet, lucky for Cam he mostly missed. That gets called if it some other QB. I've seen many many times it was called for less, just slapping the helmet with the hand for example.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His intent was to land a blow with the crown of the helmet, lucky for Cam he mostly missed. That gets called if it some other QB. I've seen many many times it was called for less, just slapping the helmet with the hand for example.
You're talking apples and rutabagas. When QBs leave the pocket to become runners, they leave behind the protections they get as passers as well. How many times have you ever seen a ballcarrier draw a flag for getting "slapped in the helmet?" And you should read that rule carefully; intent is not an included element so i'm not even sure why you're mentioning that. It's about the rules that actually exist, not the ones you're coming up with on your own.