• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers Looking to Trade Steve Smith

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina Panthers gauge trade interest in Steve Smith - ESPN

This is just one but it is being reported by multiple sources that Carolina will either trade or release Steve Smith. :gaah:

I HATE this move but in a way it makes sense. It would free up some cap space and maybe help make the room to bring in a T or young #1 WR FA. I doubt we would get any more than a 6th round pick or maybe get an older vet who cost less. Gettleman and Rivera are thinking about the long term future of the team and Smitty does not appear to be in that picture. :bawling: The only other thing I see is the reports all mention Smith's Jersey had been removed from the team store. The Panthers have stated this was done because Steve Smith wants his name to be Smith Sr. because he is going to name his son Steve Smith Jr. So maybe there is some hope left.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't get anything in a trade. He survived the first day, now I think he's eligible for the June 1 cut. It would suck if it went down like this, but business is business. Right now, though, with Munnerlyn possibly walking, Gross gone, and our positions of need getting needier, maybe Gettleman holds on to him.

I think if he's cut, we're definitely going to be drafting a wideout first.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't get anything in a trade. He survived the first day, now I think he's eligible for the June 1 cut. It would suck if it went down like this, but business is business. Right now, though, with Munnerlyn possibly walking, Gross gone, and our positions of need getting needier, maybe Gettleman holds on to him.

I think if he's cut, we're definitely going to be drafting a wideout first.

i dont get why they are trying to drop him anyway.s not like they have anything waiting in the wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND I REALLY DONT LIKE HOW THEY ARE HANDLING THE SITUATION

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont get why they are trying to drop him anyway.s not like they have anything waiting in the wings
Well, we don't know that. My guess is, if it happens, Gettleman sees someone he really likes in the draft. There's been some talk about Hakeem Nicks, but I'm not impressed with that.
AND I REALLY DONT LIKE HOW THEY ARE HANDLING THE SITUATION
Agree with this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we don't know that. My guess is, if it happens, Gettleman sees someone he really likes in the draft. There's been some talk about Hakeem Nicks, but I'm not impressed with that.

Agree with this.

yea but cutting him leaves only Mcnutt and King, oh and Pilaries on the roster at WR... none of them are ready for big roles and im worried Hicks has lost a step or two due to his injuries over the years and is not the same qb any more. with Smith gone i see us draft 2 maybe 3 wrs this year easy. even if we sign Hicks.

but you know Hicks wants a long term contract cause if he is damaged a one year contract will exploit that and he will not get another payday chance

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Panthers will be able to get anything for Smith

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea but cutting him leaves only Mcnutt and King, oh and Pilaries on the roster at WR... none of them are ready for big roles and im worried Hicks has lost a step or two due to his injuries over the years and is not the same qb any more. with Smith gone i see us draft 2 maybe 3 wrs this year easy. even if we sign Hicks.

but you know Hicks wants a long term contract cause if he is damaged a one year contract will exploit that and he will not get another payday chance

We don't have enough right now, personnel-wise, to justify this move. We're going to have to draft 1-2 WR's, and/or grab one in the FA market.

Smitty signs with the Ravers:

Steve Smith signs with Baltimore Ravens | Audibles - SI.com

It's always darkest just before the dawn. I hope that's true.