• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

P5 scheduling breakdown

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as OOC goes when has Iowa not had a cupcake schedule? I went back as far as 2012 and haven’t seen 1 power 5 team. Plenty of northern Iowa and NIU though

Did you skip 2017?

They play Iowa St. every year but nobody is stopping Iowa from adding a 2nd P5 OOC opponent.

Nobody would let them into CFP with 1 loss either.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely agree with you on a standardized schedule for P5’s. I also wouldn’t be against the 8-2 model you would like to see.

But you are only looking at the schedule one way. Sure there will be years a team like MSU would miss Rutgers and play a Washington or Clemson. The other side to that is that there are other years they miss Ohio State and play Kansas or Duke. That’s not really finding the best teams in the country when the latter happens.

Considering now Michigan State will play Wisconsin once every 4 years, I’d rather play them every other year.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering now Michigan State will play Wisconsin once every 4 years, I’d rather play them every other year.
Do away with that dumb ass cross division rival and the rotation will go a lot quicker.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I absolutely agree, problem is it wouldn’t always be a Wisconsin every other year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely agree, problem is it wouldn’t always be a Wisconsin every other year.
Yes it would be Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin we would playing more than once every four years.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it would be Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin we would playing more than once every four years.

I’m sorry you have me confused. Are we still talking about replacing a conference game with another P5 ooc?

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is not a P5 team. Stop already. If it makes your schedule look good, what ever
But your all foolish.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sorry you have me confused. Are we still talking about replacing a conference game with another P5 ooc?
I’m saying each team gets 3 permanent rivals. And two pools of 5 that rotate every year.

For example:

Michigan State plays Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin every year.

Odd years Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, and Illinois
Even years Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Purdue, and Minnesota

OOC must play two P5 opponents (cutting out all the bullshit teams that the Big10 allow like Cinci and Air Force), and minimize the games against FCS to when someone bails last second.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying each team gets 3 permanent rivals. And two pools of 5 that rotate every year.

For example:

Michigan State plays Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin every year.

Odd years Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, and Illinois
Even years Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Purdue, and Minnesota

OOC must play two P5 opponents (cutting out all the bullshit teams that the Big10 allow like Cinci and Air Force), and minimize the games against FCS to when someone bails last second.

Ahh I gotcha. That’d be pretty cool getting rid of divisions and just have the top 2 finishers in the whole conference play for the conference championship.

My main point on this was more often than not teams would be trading one mediocre team in conference for one mediocre team out of conference adding that extra P5. Is it really going to show which teams are the best in the country?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh I gotcha. That’d be pretty cool getting rid of divisions and just have the top 2 finishers in the whole conference play for the conference championship.

My main point on this was more often than not teams would be trading one mediocre team in conference for one mediocre team out of conference adding that extra P5. Is it really going to show which teams are the best in the country?
It would be better than minimizing games between conferences that we are seeing now where most teams are only playing one P5 opponent OOC and more times than not we are not getting a top team against trash. More points of data are better than less.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better than minimizing games between conferences that we are seeing now where most teams are only playing one P5 opponent OOC and more times than not we are not getting a top team against trash. More points of data are better than less.

Absolutely, I’m all for more data points. But seeing MSU play WVU is not always going to determine who’s better between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Especially if MSU/OSU or WVU/OU miss each other that year.

Truthfully I’m somewhere in the middle on all this. I do think there should be a standardized schedule for all P5’s though.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, I’m all for more data points. But seeing MSU play WVU is not always going to determine who’s better between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Especially if MSU/OSU or WVU/OU miss each other that year.

Truthfully I’m somewhere in the middle on all this. I do think there should be a standardized schedule for all P5’s though.
Yes but you also have 12 other data points to use. Yes the transitive property isn’t accurate but if your only data point to compare USC and Ohio State is a game against Oregon State, you pretty much have nothing.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but you also have 12 other data points to use. Yes the transitive property isn’t accurate but if your only data point to compare USC and Ohio State is a game against Oregon State, you pretty much have nothing.

Very true, it does give more data to use.

I’m somewhere in the middle but believe a uniform P5 schedule is key.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, it does give more data to use.

I’m somewhere in the middle but believe a uniform P5 schedule is key.
The Big12 is the issue. They have the best setup with the round robin which really can’t/shouldn’t be done with any other conference as it is currently structured.

I also think the casual fan would rather watch P5 non-conference over in conference games. Ohio State playing a Texas that finishes 7-6 is better for college football than playing a Purdue that goes 7-6.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big12 is the issue. They have the best setup with the round robin which really can’t/shouldn’t be done with any other conference as it is currently structured.

I also think the casual fan would rather watch P5 non-conference over in conference games. Ohio State playing a Texas that finishes 7-6 is better for college football than playing a Purdue that goes 7-6.

Problem is the B12 is not just going to add teams to add teams. Having this amount of teams allow everyone to play. Now if they would fold or some how we got to the point of 4 16 team conferences then it could work (8-2 P5 scheduling). But I would bet if every other P5 conference went to the 8-2 format the B12 would follow.

I think it depends on the matchups for the casual fan honestly. Plus it’s rivalry games some conferences have that most fans know and like. But yes, obviously the big names will be better draws if they are playing each other.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is the B12 is not just going to add teams to add teams. Having this amount of teams allow everyone to play. Now if they would fold or some how we got to the point of 4 16 team conferences then it could work (8-2 P5 scheduling). But I would bet if every other P5 conference went to the 8-2 format the B12 would follow.

I think it depends on the matchups for the casual fan honestly. Plus it’s rivalry games some conferences have that most fans know and like. But yes, obviously the big names will be better draws if they are playing each other.
I don’t expect the Big12 to just add anyone and honestly other than going after some minor Florida school, for recruiting purposes alone, there isn’t any teams out there to be had that are worth going after for all the sports.

You can keep rivalry games with my set up or you can just keep it the way it is. But every conference in college football has lopsided divisions and this would minimize that.