• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Owen

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit.

Next week marks the 21 year anniversary of his death.

His death can drink next week. That is fucked up. It seems like it was just a couple years ago.

Damn, I am old...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit.

His death can drink next week. That is fucked up. It seems like it was just a couple years ago.

Damn, I am old...
I guess that's why they're doing the Dark Side of the Ring episode on that incident next week then.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's why they're doing the Dark Side of the Ring episode on that incident next week then.
Are they? I haven’t watched wrestling in probably 18 years. I honestly just realized the timing because I was thinking how Austin’s career was cut short and how it was ironic that a Hart of all people muffed a move that essentially ended a dude’s career.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they? I haven’t watched wrestling in probably 18 years. I honestly just realized the timing because I was thinking how Austin’s career was cut short and how it was ironic that a Hart of all people muffed a move that essentially ended a dude’s career.
Yeah, it's the season 2 finale I believe. It'll be on VICE at 10pm eastern. I'm sure you'll probably get a bunch of thoughts from Cornette and Russo throughout the episode.
Owen was probably one of the last people I ever would've ever thought would've botched that move as well. Ahmed Johnson, sure, that guy was extremely sloppy but not Owen.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can never see that name without thinking of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Context; I started watching wrestling in 2000, I had never heard of Owen Hart until I saw stuff on the internet about how fans want him in the Hall of Fame.

I listened to Chris Jericho's podcast with Martha Hart. I didn't care for all the "how we met" "we fell in love"...etc stuff but there were some good parts. Of course..they aren't going to go deep into everything that is meant for the "dark side of the ring" episode.

The fact that WWE sued Martha for "Owens breach of contract for...DYING..." is sick in so many ways.

Owens family could have in many ways supported Martha without themselves going against WWE. They betrayed her.

Honestly, I didn't come away from hearing that podcast feeling like Owen Hart was special in any kind of way. Just some random wrestler who died that's famous because of his last name.

In the end, fans need to realize that their "feelings" do not matter. Martha has every right to not want her husband used for publicity/money by the very man who caused his death.

I 100% believe that when Vince dies...in the 2-3 years afterward, Martha will "suddenly" have a change of heart.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night's Dark Side of the Ring, WWE looks bad in the aftermath in relation to the following:

1) Keeping the PPV going when there should've been an immediate investigation
2) Vince's press conference arguing/mocking reporters
3) Trying to get the lawsuit moved to CT to avoid punitive damages
4) Suing Martha

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night's Dark Side of the Ring, WWE looks bad in the aftermath in relation to the following:

1) Keeping the PPV going when there should've been an immediate investigation
2) Vince's press conference arguing/mocking reporters
3) Trying to get the lawsuit moved to CT to avoid punitive damages
4) Suing Martha

2 and 3 look made them look bad.

4 kinda but I can see why they did it.

1 i completely disagree with because it's a catch 22.

If you cancel the show. You piss off your audience because ALL OF THE "MAINSTREAM MATCHES" THAT YOU ADVERTISED ARE NOT TAKING PLACE.

You'll lose money because people will be begging for refunds, Jeff Hardy Incident in 2011 is good point, and/or lose some of your audience possibly forever because they are paying about $40 to see these "Mainstream" matches.

So the question then becomes:

Do you want to risk losing money and pissing off your base

Or

On with the show and pissing off people that why.

Thus the catch 22

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Martha hart is this.

She is looking at everything in the wrong light.

It's NOT the WWE who wants to celebrate Owens career .

Instead its fans, like yours truly, who thinks it is a huge HUGE slap in the face for Owen not to be there.

I will go on record and say that Owen is the 2nd best wrestler to EVER COME FROM CANADA.

Not Edge.

Not Jericho

Not Kevin or Sami

He is someone who, and this hurts me to type, never get his just do.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cancel the show. You piss off your audience because ALL OF THE "MAINSTREAM MATCHES" THAT YOU ADVERTISED ARE NOT TAKING PLACE.

You'll lose money because people will be begging for refunds, Jeff Hardy Incident in 2011 is good point, and/or lose some of your audience possibly forever because they are paying about $40 to see these "Mainstream" matches.

They've given refunds for shows, so let's not act like it's something never been done. Here's one example of them giving refunds to fans after Cena was unable to compete after being advertised:
WWE News: WWE Provides Refunds for John Cena Fans

This isn't Wrestlemania they'd be cancelling....it's a second rate PPV. And I'd think many/most of the fans would be understanding if someone died while performing.

Last edited:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've given refunds for shows, so let's not act like it's something never been done. Here's one example of them giving refunds to fans after Cena was unable to compete after being advertised:
WWE News: WWE Provides Refunds for John Cena Fans

This isn't Wrestlemania they'd be cancelling....it's a second rate PPV. And I'd think many/most of the fans would be understanding if someone died while performing.

That's a good point but still.

There are dicks and assholes who might want there money back.

I ain't no WWE fan boy but to place it all on them, which I think VICE and Martha are doing, is a mistake.

Remember what Shawn, Gronk and Liv Morgan, in a way, have said:

"Vince would let anything dangerous happen if he didn't do it first"

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t watched wrestling since I was a kid in the 90’s/early 2000’s, but as for them not stopping the show after his death, I fully support them there.

It’s probably because NASCAR was my first sports love, and it had one of the highest fatality rates in sports up until the early 2000’s, but the race always went on.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point but still.

There are dicks and assholes who might want there money back.

I ain't no WWE fan boy but to place it all on them, which I think VICE and Martha are doing, is a mistake.

Remember what Shawn, Gronk and Liv Morgan, in a way, have said:

"Vince would let anything dangerous happen if he didn't do it first
"

Well the supposed story is that the initial stunt was fine/safe, but for this event they changed the rigging hook (to a hook that wasn't meant for this type of stunt) to allow for a quicker release after landing. It's probable that Vince tried the original stunt with the original hook, but it's a good bet he didn't try it with the hook used in Owen's fall since that appeared to be something changed the day of the event.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amazing show. I haven't watched wrestling in 20 years but this show does it for me.

Also regarding Owen Hart, it's amazing I did not care for Bret at all but Owen was such a great heel. I think all of the charisma went to him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was OK with them continuing the show. It is a circus, AKA “show business”, after all, and the main rule in show business is, “The Show Must Go On”. It wasn’t a slap in the face to Owen to continue. It was an honor to Owen to continue.

heck, the VERY next night, Bret and Jericho (??) did a 1-hour match in tribute. How hard was that for Bret?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing show. I haven't watched wrestling in 20 years but this show does it for me.

Also regarding Owen Hart, it's amazing I did not care for Bret at all but Owen was such a great heel. I think all of the charisma went to him.
Owen definitely had more charisma. Bret I think was the better technical wrestler while Owen was a much superior high flyer.
I was OK with them continuing the show. It is a circus, AKA “show business”, after all, and the main rule in show business is, “The Show Must Go On”. It wasn’t a slap in the face to Owen to continue. It was an honor to Owen to continue.

heck, the VERY next night, Bret and Jericho (??) did a 1-hour match in tribute. How hard was that for Bret?
Nah, I believe Bret was en route to Los Angeles at the time to do a Tonight Show appearance and when he heard the news, he went back to Canada. He did have a long match with Benoit the next time WCW went to that arena though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit.

Damn, I am old...
feels like 21 yrs ago to me...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owen definitely had more charisma. Bret I think was the better technical wrestler while Owen was a much superior high flyer.

Nah, I believe Bret was en route to Los Angeles at the time to do a Tonight Show appearance and when he heard the news, he went back to Canada. He did have a long match with Benoit the next time WCW went to that arena though.
I remember both shows paid honor to the mishap the next night. The Raw episode was an amazing dropping of kayfabe and most of the wrestlers gave video tributes/vignettes throughout the night. I remember Schiavone making a pretty big deal about it at the open, and I thought for sure there was a huge Bret/Jericho (maybe it was Benoit) match in the last hour to pay honor.

But that was 21 years ago, so I can’t say for certain my memory is accurate...

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t watched wrestling since I was a kid in the 90’s/early 2000’s, but as for them not stopping the show after his death, I fully support them there.

It’s probably because NASCAR was my first sports love, and it had one of the highest fatality rates in sports up until the early 2000’s, but the race always went on.

NASCAR drivers know the risk that's involved. During the race, were the other drivers aware that had a fatality taken place? Owen's peers knew about his death and were sent out to compete regardless. Owen's death was completely avoidable.

Continuing the show was a stupid decision, but it's hardly surprising. Vince is a psychopath.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember both shows paid honor to the mishap the next night. The Raw episode was an amazing dropping of kayfabe and most of the wrestlers gave video tributes/vignettes throughout the night. I remember Schiavone making a pretty big deal about it at the open, and I thought for sure there was a huge Bret/Jericho (maybe it was Benoit) match in the last hour to pay honor.

But that was 21 years ago, so I can’t say for certain my memory is accurate...

The Bret/Benoit match didn't take place until October when WCW hosted Nitro at the Kemper Arena.

Bret didn't wrestle for four months after Owen's death. He didn't even appear on Nitro again until July.