• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Mat Latos

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of retard parents spells Matt with only 1 T? Stupid hippies...

Oh yeah...good trade for the Reds. They're going all in.

An OF of Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey....dear lord...500+ K's.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still need a leadoff hitter, and who's going to close??

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still need a leadoff hitter, and who's going to close??

Closer - Re-sign Cordero with the little money they have left.

Leadoff? Stubbs, obviously!

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordero will get a contract from someone.....can Stubbs steal first base? Latos was a great trade....gives them two studs at the top of the rotation, and that is before we see what Chapman can do.....

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordero will get a contract from someone.....can Stubbs steal first base? Latos was a great trade....gives them two studs at the top of the rotation, and that is before we see what Chapman can do.....

I'd say there's a good chance that Chapman could end up as closer too. Supposedly, Homer takes too long to warm up to pitch in relief...he's useless.

Coco Crisp may be a candidate for LF/leadoff if they can get him cheap.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips will lead off. He said he wants to do that, and he did pretty well with it last year.

Walt says they are still trying to target a LF as well as closer.

I think right now, if the season started today, Bill Bray would end up as our closer.

The signing of Latos was a good trade. He's under contract for 4 more years, and with Votto only here for 2 more years, they are going to go all in. If he leaves after his contract is up, and the Reds don't feel they can compete, Latos will be an attractive trade piece having 2 more years reamaining on his deal/arbitration.

Gotta give up talent to get talent.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I cant stand Cordero. I think closer is one of the more over valued commodities in all of sports unless you have a guy like Eckersly or Mariano Rivera. I'd say just go closer by committee. Bray and Massett (or whoever is pitching well and rolling). Why is there a rule that X guy has to close? Also, move Chapman into the starting rotation and quit this bullpen foolishness.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am not mistaken, Masset is gone.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Bowden was originally offered Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada for David Wells, but chose to take Roberto Kelly in return instead.

The man was a fucking genius.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rivera came here we would have ruined him....that's just how we roll.....

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I liked John Franco...and the nasty boys were awesome (Norm Charlton was my fave).

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I am not mistaken, Masset is gone.

That, I did not know. He's a frustrating pitcher but I like him. If he could get his head straightened out he could be really good.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masset has the best stuff I've ever seen of a guy who struggles to get people out....96-98 mph four seam fastball, 93-95 mph two seam sinker, wicked overhand curve that the bottom falls out of, nasty slider at 90-92 mph, and a great splitter.....five plus pitches, and at times can't get anyone out.....gotta be in his head......

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masset has the best stuff I've ever seen of a guy who struggles to get people out....96-98 mph four seam fastball, 93-95 mph two seam sinker, wicked overhand curve that the bottom falls out of, nasty slider at 90-92 mph, and a great splitter.....five plus pitches, and at times can't get anyone out.....gotta be in his head......

Just a guess, but I think he falls in-love with that splitter. I don't know how many times I've heard him say something like "Yeah, I threw a splitter and it just didn't drop. Stayed level out over the plate and he got a hold of it."

He's got a nasty breaking pitch, and throws hard. That's it. Most great relievers, especially one inning guys, don't need 3 or 4 pitches. That's how they get into trouble. Take your two best pitches and get through the inning.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think closer is a waste of money. I mean honestly, you have to get 3 outs and you typically enter the inning with no one on base. I think most people on that staff could've done about as well as Cordero. To his credit he'll put together a stretch of games where he does really well. But most the time it seems like he makes it really, really interesting. I get the same feeling with him that I got with Danny Graves. That they're not a dominant pitcher. They're very hittable. They've just been assigned the role of closer for whatever reason. if they get a save most the time it feels like more luck than skill (wow, Cordero got out of the 9th with the bases loaded again..dodged a bullet with that one).

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a guess, but I think he falls in-love with that splitter. I don't know how many times I've heard him say something like "Yeah, I threw a splitter and it just didn't drop. Stayed level out over the plate and he got a hold of it."

He's got a nasty breaking pitch, and throws hard. That's it. Most great relievers, especially one inning guys, don't need 3 or 4 pitches. That's how they get into trouble. Take your two best pitches and get through the inning.

You could be onto something there.....his fastball alone is overpowering, and that slider is wicked....what else does he really need to pitch one inning? Maybe the two seamer to get double plays, that should be it.....