• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Regardless of how Purdy is labelled, he has shown a LOT to date being rated the most efficient QB. He has led his team to the SB and all of his teammates believe in him. What else can we fans ask for from Purdy the player? Before you say 'win the SB', a win requires the entire team to be 'mistake free'.

Whether we win the SB or not, Purdy will just go about his business and continue to play well. Not saying he's the next Tom Brady or will remain the most efficient NFL QB, but he'll continue to play well and be one of the best in the NFL. We 49er fans are definitely fortunate because had we been relying on JG or Trey Lance, ugh!

BTW - IMO Trey Lance has talent but no NFL team can devote the 'losses' (ie time) while he gains game reps.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For me if Purdy has a great career, he'd be more like Steve Young than Montana. Not because of the way he plays but because of the status of the 49ers prior to him.

Prior to Montana the 49ers were perennial losers and in the late 70's, we wouldn't only lose but lose BADLY. So when Montana led the 49ers to the SB win, it was HYSTERIA. Steve Young was obviously a very good QB and won't argue he was more talented, but when he took over as starter the 49ers were already a top NFL team.

Similarly, the current 49ers were already a top NFL team so the impact of Purdy isn't quite like Montana. There IS obviously an impact from Purdy's stellar play, but not quite like the 1981 hysteria even with a win on Sunday.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me if Purdy has a great career, he'd be more like Steve Young than Montana. Not because of the way he plays but because of the status of the 49ers prior to him.

Prior to Montana the 49ers were perennial losers and in the late 70's, we wouldn't only lose but lose BADLY. So when Montana led the 49ers to the SB win, it was HYSTERIA. Steve Young was obviously a very good QB and won't argue he was more talented, but when he took over as starter the 49ers were already a top NFL team.

Similarly, the current 49ers were already a top NFL team so the impact of Purdy isn't quite like Montana. There IS obviously an impact from Purdy's stellar play, but not quite like the 1981 hysteria even with a win on Sunday.
Well in his defense John Brody and Ted Kwalick(sp) Tight end should both be in the Hall of the Very Good one step below Hall of Fame. Also if the Plowboys don't recover a on-sides kick the Niners would have been in the SB earlier with JB a QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well in his defense John Brody and Ted Kwalick(sp) Tight end should both be in the Hall of the Very Good one step below Hall of Fame. Also if the Plowboys don't recover a on-sides kick the Niners would have been in the SB earlier with JB a QB.
and i thought I was old. :-)

can't say i know that era well, but did watch those games starting around 1965 or so. That's what got me to become a 49er fan, that specific era of 49ers. John Brodie doesn't have nearly the career stats for the Hall-Of-Fame, but despite that he had a LONG career with the 49ers.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has played great. The 9ers have a great team around him and a stellar defense that keeps the team in any game, which is a huge help as it is not all on his shoulders to win games. The answers regarding Purdy will come next season when every team has tape on him, and the team around him changes.
Like Shaun King, another rookie that was thrust into starting due to injury and played well because the team was solid and the defense was stellar. Then, the team lost some players, teams had game tape on him and he wasn’t able to replicate his early success. Next season will tell the tale regarding Purdy, but the script is going well so far.

Well, the season is over.
Teams had plenty of tape on him.
The team & coaches around him changed some.

I think with a well-deserved Pro Bowl and some playoff comebacks under his belt, it's safe to say that Purdy gave some good answers to all those who questioned him. He was in several positions where his team was down multiple scores (twice in the playoffs). Positions where he had to throw. Situations where he had to escape the pocket. Scenarios where he had to make an off-schedule play when everything around him broke down. Most of the time, He came through.

The Shaun King comparison was ridiculous last season since Purdy's numbers were FAR superior to anything King put up at any point in his initial starts, but with a full season as starter comparison, it fell apart to the point it's sad. Hell, I've seen some idiots on this forum compare him to Trent Dilfer, LOL.

Now, for the first time in his career, he'll get an offseason where he is the starter, the one getting the most reps, the most coaching--rather than being the 3rd QB or rehabbing an injury. It's a miracle his season turned out as well as it did--he was in the MVP race for much for much of the season. Considering the capacity for him to improve this offseason, barring injury, I'll be surprised if Purdy doesn't make the Pro Bowl again in 2024.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when they drafted Gene Washington and Ted Kwalick. Instantly gave them a good passing attack

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will really see what the 49ers think of Purdy when it comes time for the extension after next season. Do they give him the 50 million per or not. That will be interesting.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will really see what the 49ers think of Purdy when it comes time for the extension after next season. Do they give him the 50 million per or not. That will be interesting.
He'll be resigned. There isn't really a question imo. The only issue will be how much it costs.

The team just had Purdy make the PB (in a walk). That's the first Niner QB to do it in 20 years. Hell, in that span, he's the only Niner QB to even come close. On a team that passed that ball the least in the NFL, he set a team record in passing yardage (in 16 games), led the league in passer rating, efficiency, TD %, ypa, etc., and was in the MVP conversation.

Now, does that mean he gets 50M/yr? Will Brock take a bit less than the full market value? I don't know. But I can tell you with "bet the mortgage" certainty, that Purdy will be the Niner QB beyond the 2024 season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'll be resigned. There isn't really a question imo. The only issue will be how much it costs.

The team just had Purdy make the PB (in a walk). That's the first Niner QB to do it in 20 years. Hell, in that span, he's the only Niner QB to even come close. On a team that passed that ball the least in the NFL, he set a team record in passing yardage (in 16 games), led the league in passer rating, efficiency, TD %, ypa, etc., and was in the MVP conversation.

Now, does that mean he gets 50M/yr? Will Brock take a bit less than the full market value? I don't know. But I can tell you with "bet the mortgage" certainty, that Purdy will be the Niner QB beyond the 2024 season.
Yes, Purdy will be signed and for big money, he'll continue prove his worth so we fans will be ok.

That's just another reason why tough decisions had to be made on Arik and Juice. Lynch is already planning how to fit Purdy's (and BA's) contracts Clearly we've started "mortgaging the future" by re-structuring contracts. It'll be cap hell if these draft classes fail/falter.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seems like the kind of dude who would take less to have the team win like brady always did

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
seems like the kind of dude who would take less to have the team win like brady always did
We'll see? Agents know how the NFL works, so will be a big influence on Purdy.

I don't see Purdy demanding and fighting for a huge record breaking contract, but 'youngish' players without a wealthy model wife, can't give away much.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see? Agents know how the NFL works, so will be a big influence on Purdy.

I don't see Purdy demanding and fighting for a huge record breaking contract, but 'youngish' players without a wealthy model wife, can't give away much.
Probably will pick a number which is commensurate with what he believes his value to be and stick with it. I'm more wondering what the 49ers really think of him and their contract offer will tell us.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Probably will pick a number which is commensurate with what he believes his value to be and stick with it. I'm more wondering what the 49ers really think of him and their contract offer will tell us.
They think highly of him and will pay him as such. Lynch is already preparing for it even if his big hit isn't till 2026. IMO even if he plays the same as now, he's worth a top NFL contract.

That will obviously put a ton of stress on the 49er's cap, but every team with a top QB goes thru this. You start with the QB's contract and go from there, you can only hope your draft picks pan out WELL.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They think highly of him and will pay him as such. Lynch is already preparing for it even if his big hit isn't till 2026. IMO even if he plays the same as now, he's worth a top NFL contract.

That will obviously put a ton of stress on the 49er's cap, but every team with a top QB goes thru this. You start with the QB's contract and go from there, you can only hope your draft picks pan out WELL.
I really like him but I don't quite put him up with the elite QBs in the league. I don't know why because his stats and performance are good. Maybe its some bias about where he was drafted.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like him but I don't quite put him up with the elite QBs in the league. I don't know why because his stats and performance are good. Maybe its some bias about where he was drafted.
Yes, his stats prove how efficient he is but a lot of people across American STILL don't give him credit?! I can only guess why - he's not 6'-4" with a cannon arm? He was the Mr. Irrelevant and will never shake that expectation? He plays WELL within the 49er offense, which doesn't "showcase" a passing QB?

IMO that's fine, as long as he keeps playing the way he's played. MAYBE that keeps his contract a little bit lower, but i doubt it'll be a "home team discount".

He does need a better O-line and this draft happens to be deep for all positions. Yay!

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, his stats prove how efficient he is but a lot of people across American STILL don't give him credit?! I can only guess why - he's not 6'-4" with a cannon arm? He was the Mr. Irrelevant and will never shake that expectation? He plays WELL within the 49er offense, which doesn't "showcase" a passing QB?

IMO that's fine, as long as he keeps playing the way he's played. MAYBE that keeps his contract a little bit lower, but i doubt it'll be a "home team discount".

He does need a better O-line and this draft happens to be deep for all positions. Yay!
One of his strengths seems to be anticipation throws. Those worry me though since it is so dependent on the wide receiver being where he is supposed to be. Its working so far