• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hoping he wins the mvp over prescott,and san fran puts dallas in their place again.
As this pace it looks like whichever team finishes higher, propels their QB to MVP? As it stands now, Purdy should be the leader but there's too much season left.

As far as the remaining season goes, it comes down to injuries.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People will continue to find every reason to nit-pick what he's doing - even when the facts don't demonstrate the story they're trying to tell.
Yep, for different reasons, some fans across the nation will never give Purdy his due. Just because he makes it look easy doesn't mean its all about his teammates. To me, Purdy makes his teammates excel more than the other way around. He throws on time and with good accuracy, allowing them to continue running in stride.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, for different reasons, some fans across the nation will never give Purdy his due. Just because he makes it look easy doesn't mean its all about his teammates. To me, Purdy makes his teammates excel more than the other way around. He throws on time and with good accuracy, allowing them to continue running in stride.
It's the players around him and where he was drafted. I agree... he makes those playmakers look even better by getting the ball out on-time and on-target.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, he has enough arm strength to make this offense go, bottom line. :-)

After watching Youtube breakdowns by JT, Chase Daniels, and two more i can't remember now, Purdy's vision, timing, and accuracy is VERY good. His 'touch' throws to Kittle, Aiyuk, and Deebo were amazing but he made it look easy. So its not just arm strength, his overall QB performance is already proven on the field.

BTW - Are there any more remaining critics of Brock Purdy....seriously?! I don't watch a lot of different sports shows, but can't imagine people are STILL doubting him? I can see some are still saying he isn't elite, fine, but he has already proven he can play at a highly efficient level. IMO he's been playing ELITE and that's all I need to see.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - Are there any more remaining critics of Brock Purdy....seriously?! I don't watch a lot of different sports shows, but can't imagine people are STILL doubting him? I can see some are still saying he isn't elite, fine, but he has already proven he can play at a highly efficient level. IMO he's been playing ELITE and that's all I need to see.
Yes. There are plenty. More than one poster on this forum has called Purdy nothing more than Trent Dilfer. But even setting aside those imbeciles...

Nick Wright. A rather well-known talking head. He's on many of the NFL talk shows. From the get-go, He's been a consistent critic of Purdy. At this point, he has finally admitted that Purdy is better than he thought he was, but that Qbs fall into 3 categories--can't play well, plays well in the right situation, somebody everyone wants. Firmly believes that Purdy is in the 2nd category (along with Jimmy btw). Just for some context, Nick said he'd take Will Levis over Tua b/c unlike Tua, Levis has "the chance" to be one of "those guys that everyone wants" and Tua is, like Purdy and Jimmy, a product of those around him.

I think that argument is ridiculous. Just about all high level Qbs have/had weapons around them (Peyton, Montana, etc.). Look at Hurts's 2nd place MVP finish last season. A 1,500yd WR, a 1,200yd WR, a 1,200yd RB, an above average TE and the best Oline in the league. Nick wasn't calling him a product of the system. Hell, look at HOF QB Troy Aikman. He had arguably the best RB of all time, a HOF WR, a pro bowl TE, and the best Oline of the era. I guess, he was also a 2nd tier QB on Nick's scale?

Whether Purdy wins MVP or not, he should be in everyone's MVP conversation unless that someone doesn't know what they're talking about or they have an axe to grind.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. There are plenty. More than one poster on this forum has called Purdy nothing more than Trent Dilfer. But even setting aside those imbeciles...

Nick Wright. A rather well-known talking head. He's on many of the NFL talk shows. From the get-go, He's been a consistent critic of Purdy. At this point, he has finally admitted that Purdy is better than he thought he was, but that Qbs fall into 3 categories--can't play well, plays well in the right situation, somebody everyone wants. Firmly believes that Purdy is in the 2nd category (along with Jimmy btw). Just for some context, Nick said he'd take Will Levis over Tua b/c unlike Tua, Levis has "the chance" to be one of "those guys that everyone wants" and Tua is, like Purdy and Jimmy, a product of those around him.

I think that argument is ridiculous. Just about all high level Qbs have/had weapons around them (Peyton, Montana, etc.). Look at Hurts's 2nd place MVP finish last season. A 1,500yd WR, a 1,200yd WR, a 1,200yd RB, an above average TE and the best Oline in the league. Nick wasn't calling him a product of the system. Hell, look at HOF QB Troy Aikman. He had arguably the best RB of all time, a HOF WR, a pro bowl TE, and the best Oline of the era. I guess, he was also a 2nd tier QB on Nick's scale?

Whether Purdy wins MVP or not, he should be in everyone's MVP conversation unless that someone doesn't know what they're talking about or they have an axe to grind.
Oh ok, so there's at least one and clearly he's saying stupid things for 'clicks'. Sooner or later you lose your reputation because your credibility goes zero. To me he's already at zero credibility based on these thoughts for several NFL QB's, not just Purdy.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Generally, I think Nick has pretty good takes. I enjoy First Things First and find it to be one of the better "debate" shows. But he digs in from time to time and just won't relent. I think he's maintaining his critiques of Purdy just to garner clicks and attention. He's clearly being obtuse here to protect his previous positions on Mahomes and Dak. Not sure if you saw this week's "mahomes mountain" piece, but he put Browning and Caleb Williams above Purdy - which is downright laughable and can only be described as bitter comedy at this point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After watching more Youtube adding Kyle Posey and more Johnny Del, its clear Purdy is more than a system QB. As these guys are showing on film, Purdy makes his receivers look better than the other way around. Yes, there are some short throws that Deebo does Deebo things, but overall the throws have timing and accuracy. In these film breakdowns, they use "anticipation" and not "timing", but same thing.

They also show multiple plays from multiple games, which were 'off script' but Purdy still makes plays. It reminds me of the younger Russell Wilson who always kept his eyes downfield, and made plays out of broken plays.

Also, while watching all these breakdowns, what goes unnoticed is the pass blocking by the O-line, TE, and FB. Outstanding protection even when blitzing is involved. Purdy has made downfield throws because he had time to throw it. Prior to the season we had so much anx about McKivitz and to some extend Burford, but our pass protect has been good for the most part.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WTF happened to Purdy tonight? 4 INT's? Was he playing injured the whole game?
Yes, a bad game for Purdy and thus the offense wasn't good. Can't blame it on injury because the first one happened prior. Purdy's first pick was very uncharacteristic, the next 3 was sort of "hard luck" plus good defensive plays.

No time for tears, short week, east coast travel, and early start. I expect a lackluster game from the 49ers against the Commanders, but doesn't matter as long as they win.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has thrown for the most yards (4,280) in a single season of any Niner QB in history. That’s amazing. Particularly considering that we’re a run-heavy offense and that we throw the ball so infrequently. Purdy broke the record, previously held by Garcia, while throwing 117 fewer passes than Garcia did in 2000 (444 compared to 561). Purdy's record-breaking performance is even more impressive considering that his 9.6 yards per attempt leads all NFL quarterbacks.

Purdy's efficiency has resulted in a record-breaking 2023 campaign for the 49ers offense. This season's unit made NFL history as the first team to have a running back (Christian McCaffrey at 2,023), two wide receivers (Brandon Aiyuk at 1,317 and Deebo Samuel at 1,085), and a tight end (George Kittle at 1,022) each amass 1,000 or more scrimmage yards in a single season.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked off tonight but so did most of the team so hard to single him out. When the game was on the line, he showed up.

Let's see what he can do next week.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He looked off tonight but so did most of the team so hard to single him out. When the game was on the line, he showed up.

Let's see what he can do next week.
We have to hope for dry weather on Sunday.

The 49ers still have the advantages from being the #1 seed, no excuses.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these talking heads today, right after Purdy's 2nd 4th quarter come back drive of the playoffs:

" We know what Purdy is."--Really? He's started all of like 20 games. Half of which came against playoff teams. And you already know how good he can be? Bullsh!t.

"Brock Purdy landed in the perfect spot."--yea? So did Lance, Jimmy G, Mullens, Beathard, Darnold, etc. How many Pro bowls did they make? LOL

"Purdy was terrible in the first half."--really? Mahomes was terrible in the second half. Remember Montana's 3 picks against Dallas in the 81 NFCCG? No else does either.

"Over the last 2 games, we've see 3-4 good quarters out of Brock Purdy"--how many good quarters did you see out of Jackson and Mahomes?

"Shanny made Jimmy look like a pro bowl QB."--Dead wrong. Jimmy's best year he never sniffed a PB. And Purdy is clearly a far superior player (mobility, anticipation, work outside the pocket, off schedule plays, throws outside the numbers, etc.).

"Purdy just has so many weapons and a great defense, so of course he looks good."--Jackson has great weapons (Flowers, Andrews, OBJ, Likely, great running game) and the #1 defense. No one brings that up, instead, it's all Jackson.

"Purdy struggles in the weather b/c he has such small hands."--according to the combine measurements, his hands are the same size as Mahomes's hands.

Last edited: