• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One Game Playoff: Who is Pitching?

DaRev

Hoopla Cash
$ 983.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cubs are going to make the playoffs this year, it will not be by winning the division. Therefore, in order to make a run they would most likely have to get past either Bumgarner, Syndergaard, Harvey, or Cole.

Who do the Cubs start? No one can argue with Arrieta's Cy Young-caliber stuff, but Lester has the experience. With a young team, it might be nice for the team to have someone who has been there before. That being said, I'd put Arrieta because I think his performance alone is too good to pass up.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arrieta, but IMO the Dodgers will be the other Play-In team.

DaRev

Hoopla Cash
$ 983.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be Arrieta due to the fact that he can hold runners on first base. Lester is too much of a risk by letting runners take second base at will.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing these threads started around and wonder why people do not think this will be a week long battle with every game a must win to stay in the play in game mix. Games 160-162 are all gonna be critical to win, there is no holding out a pitcher to throw game 163. Throwing Lester or Arrieta in this game means you start the next series with Hammel or Haren if you win.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ Let us dream, bro.

DaRev

Hoopla Cash
$ 983.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing these threads started around and wonder why people do not think this will be a week long battle with every game a must win to stay in the play in game mix. Games 160-162 are all gonna be critical to win, there is no holding out a pitcher to throw game 163. Throwing Lester or Arrieta in this game means you start the next series with Hammel or Haren if you win.
I agree that they will all be crucial games but you can't look past the playoff game. The Cubs can't worry about the next series because there will be no next series if you don't win that game. Therefore, it is important to start the ace of the rotation regardless of the repercussions

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lester. They will go with the experience of a 2.57 playoff ERA over 12 starts. It also lines up to be Lester's spot in the rotation. They will not be throwing Arrieta out there on short rest. If the Dodgers make the wild card game the Cubs miss it. The NL West loser will not be catching the Pirates.

If something happens to throw off the rotation, i.e. rained out games and make up dates, it will be the next pitcher up not named Dan Haren.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt has lots of tough games yet to play. I predict a downfall. #bookmarket

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are the ones with a tough stretch. They could be out of it after we play them again later this month. They have 18 of their next 22 games against teams that would be in the playoffs if the season ended today and the other four are against a good Nationals team.

It would take a massive collapse from the Pirates at this point. I don't see it. Even if Burnett is out for the season.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things are going, the Cubs could definitely lock up the top wildcard spot with more than a few games left.

In that case, it really would be up to Maddon's choice who to start.

I'm still sticking with Arrieta

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's 3rd inning: 4 steals against, throwing error checking runner at first, and failed to cover 1st on a chopper to Rizzo.

I'm not starting Lester in a "must win" game.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more! Saw the meltdown in the 3rd.

Arrieta all the way!!!

DaRev

Hoopla Cash
$ 983.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things are going, the Cubs could definitely lock up the top wildcard spot with more than a few games left.

In that case, it really would be up to Maddon's choice who to start.

I'm still sticking with Arrieta
You almost have to go with Arrieta the way things are going. He is lights out!

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other consideration in Arrieta's favor - Miguel Montero's bat will be in the lineup instead of David Ross'.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care what Lester has done in previous playoff appearances. It's baseball, what have you done for me lately?

I'm going Arrieta

The Green Bastard

rat #442 from the SS KFFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's 3rd inning: 4 steals against, throwing error checking runner at first, and failed to cover 1st on a chopper to Rizzo.

I'm not starting Lester in a "must win" game.

^^ This ^^

Lester can flat-out pitch, but until he gets over the yips, there's no way I could trust him as the ace.

Granted, Ross does a heck of a job throwing behind batters over to first, but it's not the same. Lester is just a base-stealer's dream. And I love the guy, but having Ross in the lineup is a liability. When's the last time he even sniffed the Mendoza line?

I'd have to go with Arrieta. Although, if he was 100%, I might've chosen Hammel

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, here's a rogue thought:
Put one of the H-pitchers in the Play-In game so that in case we move on, we have Arrieta and Lester pitching 4 of the 5 games it will probably take to beat the Cards in the NLDS... and just hope for the best in the Play-In game.
Maybe that's just my anger talkin'

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my thinking- many of the analysts and experts are talking about this dream pitching matching up in game 163- Arrietta/ Lester vs Bumgarner. or Cole for the Pirates. I think it will definitely be Cole for the Pirates and they have a big enough lead to be able to manage their staff and get their guy in that game. The way Shwarber , Russell, Cogs- hits lefties though I wouldn't be surprised to see a lefty either. As far as The Cuns or Giants though- I agree with the poster that said games 159- 162 may matter. You have to get to 163.

Now my feeling on the playoffs- as a Cub fan of 30 plus years- I would take anything we can get. With that being said, I think there are better teams - Pirates, Cards, Royals, Blue Jays, maybe 1 or two others. This recent 4 game losing streak kind of brings me back to that point. I was beginning to think maybe we were better. In 2003 and then Lou's teams - I thought we were the best or definitely a contender. This team reminds me more of Woods rookie yr. don't get me wrong here, sure we can get hot. I just want to be that team that is looked at as the team to beat all year. If we win it all this year, yes it would be awesome, but to me it would be much sweeter and deserving if we were a 95- 100 win team and won it. I think right now we all hold our breath when one of the Hs pitch. Just my thoughts. Our young guys are getting lots of experience right now. Add another starter with these guys next year and I think we are there.