• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OK, I'm starting to worry

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have more faith in some of the college coaches he has plucked than the NFL retreads he has brought in. Look at the line coaches for example, both seem very good.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with him bringing in players or coaches he's comfortable with. I'm not sure why this bothers people, It's pretty natural.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day has some very good reviews. A star in the making. Either way, he will do what Chip needs him to do. Musgrave was a disaster, IMO. That's why Foles regressed, I believe. Foles missed Lazor.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First year on the job, Kelly made a point of hiring some guys with NFL experience. Now that he has that himself, I think he is more interested in hiring the best guys that he has a knowledge or history with...and those are college guys.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First year on the job, Kelly made a point of hiring some guys with NFL experience. Now that he has that himself, I think he is more interested in hiring the best guys that he has a knowledge or history with...and those are college guys.

:agree:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the first step towards Mariota, God help us.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't going to find a guy in the NFL with experience in his offense. Why not bring in a guy who played in the offense and spent the last few years teaching it?

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with this hire. A coaching staff has to have harmony so its natural that Kelly is going to hire guys he knows.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day has some very good reviews. A star in the making. Either way, he will do what Chip needs him to do. Musgrave was a disaster, IMO. That's why Foles regressed, I believe. Foles missed Lazor.

I was just saying the same thing on another thread - was not happy w/ Musgrave at all, I distinctly remember during the game vs. Arizona the broadcast was repeatedly saying they couldn't understand how poor Foles' mechanics and footwork were throughout the game... I thought that was what QB coaches were supposed to be for!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't be so paranoid E-Nut. Keep the faith! :)

I would have said that about almost any QB coach. Especially any guy that didn't come with a history of developing real passers. I don't actually have a problem with this hire. It could be a good one.

I think Chip is smart enough to not do something so stupid, but I'm not certain.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have said that about almost any QB coach. Especially any guy that didn't come with a history of developing real passers. I don't actually have a problem with this hire. It could be a good one.

I think Chip is smart enough to not do something so stupid, but I'm not certain.

Careful! That was almost positive.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you are not aware the BC offense is a running offense with around 3000 total rush yards vs under 2000 pass yards and only 13 pass TD's. QB Murphy had 11 rush TD's. Their total offense rated in the 130's overall (I think). In short the BC offense is similar to Oregon in style in that it is a running O. The QB play was nothing special IMO.
I'm thinking Kelly may really be targeting Mariota and I'm not sold. No question his stats are superior but how does his game transfer to the NFL? Hmmmmm....

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Chip using players/coaches that he knows. I simply have 2 concerns with Chip right now:

1) Does he overlook 'better' talent over what he already knows, because he can't evaluate that well?

2) AS a college coach used to players only starting for him for 2 years, does he understand the need for longterm consistency in building chemistry in a team over years - or will he have a 'constant turnover' mentality that will keep us losing talent at the same rate we can develop it and never truly build a nucleus to get better with?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am intrigued by this shift in power. I am a big numbers guy, but at the end of the day, I think its healthy for the Coach to have final say on personnel matters. We now have a football guy making the decisions. I am hoping that Chip will take all the input from everyone, but at the the end of the process ask the very simple questions like is this guy a great football player and does he love the game enough to put in the work needed to become the best.

My impression is last year, they didn't trade up for the Safety they really needed because the numbers were a little unfavorable. And then they drafted a guy in Smith with huge potential because the supply/demand numbers on pass rushers is always tough (ignoring the fact that he wasn't NFL ready). Its not that these decisions were horrible (Smith may still turn out great), its just the player you end up with is more important than always being on the right side of the math, and more importantly, the coach should want that player.