• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Venting Thread AKA ACCCG/Sugar/Lockhart Venting Thread

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of y'all in regards to the scheduling. This years OOC was extremely weak and the only reason I was okay with that was because we had an unknown under center and it let him get his feet wet before heading into ACC play. If we want to be big time football, we need to play against big time OOC programs (cause you sure as shit won't find them in the ACC). I hope to NEVER see a schedule with two Div 1AA schools on it, we aren't in the SEC and can't afford to do that if we want respect. I would love to see a schedule like '09 (Bama, Nebraska, Marshall, ECU) year in and year out.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OOC schedule we have coming up in 2012 is decent. In a perfect world our schedule should be a big school that will finish around 10th, a pretty decent school that may finish top 25, a team that may make a bowl game, and then a cupcake. Obviously it is nearly impossible to predict who will finish where 5 years from now, but an OOC schedule like that would surely be respected.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An occasional cupcake schedule is fine, but overall, to grow as a program we need the tougher fights.

This is the key statement. The ACC is not a conference to brag about. If we play a cupcake OOC schedule with ACC league play, our players will not be challenged as much and they will not grow stronger. If you play softies you will be a softie. If Tech keeps scheduling match-ups in the SEC and B1G I think that it will help the team greatly, mentally and physically.

Also for this part I am talking out of my ass, but some people why know more about this than me can comment. Doesn't how a team schedules affect recruiting? If I were a recruit and were choosing between a SEC/B1G team and VT, if VT was playing cupcakes+the ACC for the next three years why would I want to go there and get less recognition? (I know other things go into a decision like coaching, etc.)

I do not think that the 99' season can be used as a comparison because Mike Vick was a true game changer.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, that video linked to this, which I had to open since I know we have like 6 Tool fans over here. it is awesome. i especially like Reason #5.

btw, tickets to the hampton show are about $50 a pop

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got to stop that, it's so dumb. Frank just signs up to play these games but I don't give a shit about anyone else respecting VT. I'd rather play a shit OOC and try to run the table in a shit ACC so we can maybe slip into the MNC and maybe pull off a miracle. Frank will never be anything more than a 10% chance to win against Saban and these games don't help at all. All this continues to show is how bad Frank is at coaching in the big game.

you know Beamer is .500 against Saban, right?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather play good teams and lose, than play cupcakes and win. We've got plenty of cupcakes in conference.

I would have like to have seen a win against Michigan, however, since Va Tech seemed to be the better team there, and Michigan just seemed to get some incredibly lucky breaks on just a few plays, and one seriously questionable overturned play.

I rewatched the Sugar Bowl, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it. In the stadium, it seemed like Va Tech was robbed by the officials a few times, but my second viewing showed most of the officials calls to be accurate. I don't know about the non-calls.

Anyway, my point is that as a fan, I'd rather see Va Tech play with the best teams than the worst, but I'd like to see a surprise "win" on the recruiting front every once in a while, and I'm tired of seeing one surprise "loss" at the end of each recruiting period.

Let's steal a recruit from Miami every once in a while, just to show them we're still here! How is Miami stealing a WR from us? Aren't they going to get closed down at some point?

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
WRT the schedule, if ACC_Hokies were Athletic Director (assuming 4 OOC games)

1 regional cupcake at home (bottom midmajors, and FCS)
2 mid level teams home and away (BCS conference or top midmajors)
1 top level (or at least a peer) program at a neutral site

Ofcourse, this would be the model. We can't always schedule a top team at a mutually beneficial neutral site, and we can't pass up a chance to play a top team home and away. I just think we have a much greater chance of playing most top level teams (like Alabama) in Atlanta, Charlotte or DC, than Blacksburg. It also lets the fanbase grow in these metros, and gets big pub for the school and the football program.

Where we stand now with scheduling is below this model in difficulty. I argue that, besides this season, we are closer than many give credit (again still below). We are improving scheduling IMO, but only improving at a very small pace. At some point, fans are going to stop showing up to see us play clown schools, and the entire program will lose momentum. Continuing to schedule big name schools is the best long term strategy. Diversity and challanges are what will build long term support, even when the team isn't on top.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRT the schedule, if ACC_Hokies were Athletic Director (assuming 4 OOC games)

1 regional cupcake at home (bottom midmajors, and FCS)
2 mid level teams home and away (BCS conference or top midmajors)
1 top level (or at least a peer) program at a neutral site

Ofcourse, this would be the model. We can't always schedule a top team at a mutually beneficial neutral site, and we can't pass up a chance to play a top team home and away. I just think we have a much greater chance of playing most top level teams (like Alabama) in Atlanta, Charlotte or DC, than Blacksburg. It also lets the fanbase grow in these metros, and gets big pub for the school and the football program.

Where we stand now with scheduling is below this model in difficulty. I argue that, besides this season, we are closer than many give credit (again still below). We are improving scheduling IMO, but only improving at a very small pace. At some point, fans are going to stop showing up to see us play clown schools, and the entire program will lose momentum. Continuing to schedule big name schools is the best long term strategy. Diversity and challanges are what will build long term support, even when the team isn't on top.

I will agree that the Home OOC schedule has been pretty weak in the past several years but that is about to change in a couple. The FCS/lower tier teams could certainly be better. The premier OOC game every year will be above average and the next one down is pretty good too. Subject to change as usual.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wonder, for the very few that hate playing big time opponents, where the heck you were when the Hokies played these games? I sure as heck wasn't on my ass complaining: too busy having a great time with thousands of other Hokies!

Losing to USC, Boise, Alabama, LSU, and those BCS games were ALL more enjoyable to me than bulldozing piss-ant Appy State. I can tell you EVERYTHING I did the day we lost to USC at FedEx in 2004 or the day we beat LSU in Blacksburg in 2002, but hell if I remember a single detail about this year's Appy State game or anything else from that day. 5 months ago vs a decade for LSU: Night and day!

Would we fill FedEx Field to play San Jose State? Would we fill half of the Georgia Dome to play Troy? Would we fill most of BOA Stadium to play Central Florida? Heck no to all of those. No one cares about those meaningless games, despite the fact that each hypothetical opponent is relatively close in location of real opponents we have played in those venues. All three real games brought crowds of Tech fans eager to watch our Hokies, and there were significant financial and publicity benefits to Virginia Tech. Even in a technically sold out Lane Stadium (soley because of season ticket sales), the cupcake with no public interest can't bring those benefits.

Even if we can't agree whether the best way to get to a MNC is a weak or strong OOC, we should at the least recognize that demand is higher for the big games. The fans and the program need to maintain that excitement, and the no names don't do so.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder, for the very few that hate playing big time opponents, where the heck you were when the Hokies played these games? I sure as heck wasn't on my ass complaining: too busy having a great time with thousands of other Hokies!

Losing to USC, Boise, Alabama, LSU, and those BCS games were ALL more enjoyable to me than bulldozing piss-ant Appy State. I can tell you EVERYTHING I did the day we lost to USC at FedEx in 2004 or the day we beat LSU in Blacksburg in 2002, but hell if I remember a single detail about this year's Appy State game or anything else from that day. 5 months ago vs a decade for LSU: Night and day!

Would we fill FedEx Field to play San Jose State? Would we fill half of the Georgia Dome to play Troy? Would we fill most of BOA Stadium to play Central Florida? Heck no to all of those. No one cares about those meaningless games, despite the fact that each hypothetical opponent is relatively close in location of real opponents we have played in those venues. All three real games brought crowds of Tech fans eager to watch our Hokies, and there were significant financial and publicity benefits to Virginia Tech. Even in a technically sold out Lane Stadium (soley because of season ticket sales), the cupcake with no public interest can't bring those benefits.

Even if we can't agree whether the best way to get to a MNC is a weak or strong OOC, we should at the least recognize that demand is higher for the big games. The fans and the program need to maintain that excitement, and the no names don't do so.

i agree with the vast majority of your post...unfortunately i cannot tell you everything i did on the days of those big time match ups...on those days, i have tended to get exponentially more shit hammered....i do remember the games, just not much else, lol

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looking forward to the FedEx game next year. USC and Boise were epic tailgate. Ice luge, whole buses of people from the area... the shitfaced to people ratio is usually 1 to 1.

Can't wait.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were a moody bitch for the most recent one... :(

They gave me a pre-cut piece of ice that was useless. How about you drive from Lorton to Bethesda to Landover (realize their mistake) to Bethesda to Landover and come back with a smile.

Total tailgating time missed = 3.5 hours.

I made up for it though. I had to work the next day. I used some low-rent face paint that made my skin react... I also couldn't get the maroon out from around my eyes so I looked like a red-faced, fat, David Bowie all day.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave me a pre-cut piece of ice that was useless. How about you drive from Lorton to Bethesda to Landover (realize their mistake) to Bethesda to Landover and come back with a smile.

Total tailgating time missed = 3.5 hours.

I made up for it though. I had to work the next day. I used some low-rent face paint that made my skin react... I also couldn't get the maroon out from around my eyes so I looked like a red-faced, fat, David Bowie all day.

So you admit that you were a whiney bitch....

I also spent a total of like 30 minutes with you guys because Lum wanted to walk the circumference of FedEx six times. And I got sick.... I want in from the get go this time around.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But can you sing?

Depends on how much I've had to drink. I'm 100% Irish so with enough whiskey, rye or other brown liquors I just start singing the songs of old...

Like "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have another year of mediocrity, and then we face Saban (again) and Urban Meyer (twice). I'm much more concerned with finding an O-line and QB that can beat those teams than I am with scheduling five years in advance.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any responses from the Pac12 about the call?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
any responses from the Pac12 about the call?

Does it matter?

Seriously, Va Tech really needed that call to be a catch. That overturned call was flat out demoralizing.

And Va Tech both needed and deserved that win. It's one thing to lose a close game, but to lose it like that really hurt.