• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plug FA holes at S, TE, DT. Need at least 2 starters here.

Draft RT, DT, CB. Possibly WR.

Trenches trenches trenches. This team has to get more physical. Let Tee walk if you have to. I’d rather have a badass DL and better protection than overpay a bunch of WRs.
Hill and Battle are your safeties. I think they cut Scott, so they'll want a veteran backup.

DT - will they re-sign Reader? I think they will, but they need another true 3-tech in those run downs. Hill is better suited for playing the 1-tech as a pass-rusher on pure passing downs, IMO, where Hubbard should be sliding inside and Murphy (2nd best win rate on the team) should be opposite of Hendrickson.

TE - likely another F/A. Got a couple hitting the market that could be worth kicking the tires on, but I don't see this team investing in a TE as long as they have both Chase/Higgins.

Need a RT. Need CB depth. Likely need 1 more WR just because you know Higgins is walking after this year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else, they need help at DT and RT. Preferably they need to address this in some form during free agency. Those aren't positions that you can typically go cheap and get away with it very long.

After that, I'm looking for best value in FA that can get you more athletic at playmaking positions like tight end, receiver, corner or safety.

For the draft, I'm going best player available particularly if you can find playmakers or pass rushers on D.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else, they need help at DT and RT. Preferably they need to address this in some form during free agency. Those aren't positions that you can typically go cheap and get away with it very long.

After that, I'm looking for best value in FA that can get you more athletic at playmaking positions like tight end, receiver, corner or safety.

For the draft, I'm going best player available particularly if you can find playmakers or pass rushers on D.
A quick look at the potential RT market....meh.

At pick #18 I think they can land either the kid from 'Bama or Georgia. Both would be solid, IMO. I do think that's the route they should target, IMO.

DT - I'd prefer to have Reader back, but again - need a 3-tech, and likely would need someone (draft maybe) that can backup the NT position for Reader.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick look at the potential RT market....meh.

At pick #18 I think they can land either the kid from 'Bama or Georgia. Both would be solid, IMO. I do think that's the route they should target, IMO.

DT - I'd prefer to have Reader back, but again - need a 3-tech, and likely would need someone (draft maybe) that can backup the NT position for Reader.
I would prefer Murphy or Sweat with our first round pick. However, if Lathem or Sims are there, I wouldn't complain.

Ideally, we would have two first round picks around this range and we would get Sweat and Lathem.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer Murphy or Sweat with our first round pick. However, if Lathem or Sims are there, I wouldn't complain.

Ideally, we would have two first round picks around this range and we would get Sweat and Lathem.
RT is a much bigger need. There's also still the potential to get Reader back. I'm good with adding a DL/DT - but RT has been a part of the OL problem for years. It's time to stop with the Band-Aids and get a long-term solution. Mims or Latham would likely do that.

Also, not trading Higgins - I don't see a tag and trade happening. If he's tagged, he's playing and that allows the Bengals to get another year of Iosivas and Jones to see if either of them can produce - or allow them to focus on that need in the 2025 draft/Free Agency.

And if they did tag and trade and got a 1st rounder - you can bet it's going towards a WR at that point.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Callahan to Titans. Good for him. Let's hope he takes his dad with him as OL coach. Would be a major blow to Cleveland. There are many within that organization who are really fearful of him leaving to go work with his son.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to Callahan leaving, Pitcher is highly regarded. It is in the best interest of the Bengals to get a deal done NOW - and not let him take some of those interviews for OC. One, the Raiders, would be very intriguing for him as Marvin Lewis is rumored to be on his way there - and Pitcher/Lewis have a very close relationship from Lewis giving Pitcher his shot at coaching.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to Callahan leaving, Pitcher is highly regarded. It is in the best interest of the Bengals to get a deal done NOW - and not let him take some of those interviews for OC. One, the Raiders, would be very intriguing for him as Marvin Lewis is rumored to be on his way there - and Pitcher/Lewis have a very close relationship from Lewis giving Pitcher his shot at coaching.
Why is there even a delay. Can't we just offer him the OC job now? What's the delay?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RT is a much bigger need. There's also still the potential to get Reader back. I'm good with adding a DL/DT - but RT has been a part of the OL problem for years. It's time to stop with the Band-Aids and get a long-term solution. Mims or Latham would likely do that.

Also, not trading Higgins - I don't see a tag and trade happening. If he's tagged, he's playing and that allows the Bengals to get another year of Iosivas and Jones to see if either of them can produce - or allow them to focus on that need in the 2025 draft/Free Agency.

And if they did tag and trade and got a 1st rounder - you can bet it's going towards a WR at that point.
I don't disagree that RT is a position of need, but I wouldn't say it is a more important need necessarily. I think they are pretty equal. We saw what happened to the run defense once Reader went down. We saw that Hendrickson would get doubled more and Hubbard became an almost replacement level edge once Reader went down. We saw how ineffective the LB'ers became once Reader went down. We saw the young secondary look less experienced once Reader went down because they had to cover longer and watch for the run more.

The trenches are where we need to start building this team. I honestly don't know which is more important at this point. Reader who effects how well the entire defense plays, or a RT that protects the franchise. Which is easier to find on the open market? What would be the better player in the draft at 18?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there even a delay. Can't we just offer him the OC job now? What's the delay?
Nothing is preventing them from offering the job now.

Was more about the fact that Pitcher had OC's interviews lined up.

That's why I said - get it done, and keep him from taking them.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that RT is a position of need, but I wouldn't say it is a more important need necessarily. I think they are pretty equal. We saw what happened to the run defense once Reader went down. We saw that Hendrickson would get doubled more and Hubbard became an almost replacement level edge once Reader went down. We saw how ineffective the LB'ers became once Reader went down. We saw the young secondary look less experienced once Reader went down because they had to cover longer and watch for the run more.

The trenches are where we need to start building this team. I honestly don't know which is more important at this point. Reader who effects how well the entire defense plays, or a RT that protects the franchise. Which is easier to find on the open market? What would be the better player in the draft at 18?
I'd rather take a run at re-signing Reader than Williams.

If both leave - then I think you take best available and go from there.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is preventing them from offering the job now.

Was more about the fact that Pitcher had OC's interviews lined up.

That's why I said - get it done, and keep him from taking them.
Not exactly true. I believe the Rooney rule now stipulates that there has to be external candidates and one minority candidate for a coordinator position. I don't think they have to announce who the candidates are in a public way, but I think they need to do due diligence.

The reality of the situation is that unless the money is wildly different, Pitcher isn't going anywhere. Any of the places where there are positions available have some major question marks at QB or other structural issues on offense. In Cincinnati, Pitcher would get Burrow and a system that just needs minor adjustments rather than a major overhaul. If the Bengals unlock some of their potential that they haven't yet realized, he'll get a lot of credit and be a head coach before long.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather take a run at re-signing Reader than Williams.

If both leave - then I think you take best available and go from there.
I don't think the Bengals can stomach the market for Jonah Williams. He's a guy that played every snap last year at RT. He has three years experience at LT. He's under 30. Jawwan Taylor signed a 4 year deal for 80 million last year for the Chiefs. Taylor might have been seen as a better tackle than Williams, but not by much.... He's certainly not a home-run signing and he had some mixed results this year. But, the market is the market. If you want a young guy, without massive injury concerns that can play both tackle positions, you are going to pay a premium.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly true. I believe the Rooney rule now stipulates that there has to be external candidates and one minority candidate for a coordinator position. I don't think they have to announce who the candidates are in a public way, but I think they need to do due diligence.

The reality of the situation is that unless the money is wildly different, Pitcher isn't going anywhere. Any of the places where there are positions available have some major question marks at QB or other structural issues on offense. In Cincinnati, Pitcher would get Burrow and a system that just needs minor adjustments rather than a major overhaul. If the Bengals unlock some of their potential that they haven't yet realized, he'll get a lot of credit and be a head coach before long.
Well, I mean - yeah. But we all know that rule is a farce.

Get the deal done.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Bengals can stomach the market for Jonah Williams. He's a guy that played every snap last year at RT. He has three years experience at LT. He's under 30. Jawwan Taylor signed a 4 year deal for 80 million last year for the Chiefs. Taylor might have been seen as a better tackle than Williams, but not by much.... He's certainly not a home-run signing and he had some mixed results this year. But, the market is the market. If you want a young guy, without massive injury concerns that can play both tackle positions, you are going to pay a premium.
Agreed. He's going to be the youngest RT on the market - and I think one of the youngest at LT if that's how a team views him.

Bengals are not going to pay him. Reader, however, is a different story - and I think they can get something done there while also beefing up the middle of that DL in the early part of the draft (rounds 2-3).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading good things about Pitcher since 2020.... when he was promoted to QB coach after Van Pelt left for Cleveland. I hope he's worth the hype. I also hope Zac lets him put his own stamp on the offense. There's another level to this offense that we've never fully achieved. The talent is in the building. Given the questions on D, this is the year for it to emerge.