• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upcoming Free Agents

Players to Keep
Reggie Nelson (expensive) 4 years / 26 million
Vincent Rey (moderate) 3 years / 10 million
Mohamed Sanu (affordable) 3 years / 10 million
George Iloka (pretty expensive) 5 years / 25 million
Marvin Jones (moderate) 4 years / 17 million
Brandon Thompson (affordable) 2 years / 3 million
T.J Johnson (cheap) Veteran minimum

Players to Let Go
Andre Smith (because of price and we have replacement)
Adam Jones (mostly because of Dennard riding the pine. but upcoming price as well)
Leon Hall (price only)
Emmanuel Lamur (not important)
Wallace Gilberry (we have enough rotational players such as Hunt and Clarke)
Eric Winston (totally not necessary anymore)
Pat Sims (not needed and production was low anyways)
Brandon Tate (has needed to be cut for 3 years)

Draft needs I would focus on per round....
Round 1: CB/LB (CB Eli Apple / CB Kendall Fuller / LB Jaylon Smith / LB Darren Lee / LB Leonard Floyd)
Round 2: LB/CB
Round 3: WR
Round 4: DT
Round 5: OG

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iloka will cost more than Nelson.
I think Vinny Rey will be cheap.
I think Marvin Jones will be very expensive.

I'd try to sign Sims to the minimum - He's a good rotational guy and a good run stuffer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather keep Jones over Nelson.

Yes, we have Dennard, but Kirkpatrick sucks. Williams has shown he can play safety at a good level this year.

He also may take less having stated rather emphatically, that he wants to remain in Cincinnati.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can live without Marvin Jones.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can live without Marvin Jones.

I'm not looking forward to the Tate/Burkhead/Rookie/GregLittle competition for the number 2 receiver.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article about the Steelers prospects for the future. The short story is that they have amazing young talent at several key positions, but they also have very little chance to add depth around these players.

Barnwell: Steelers will need young stars to emerge

Playing against Burfict twice a year doesn't help. :)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article about the Steelers prospects for the future. The short story is that they have amazing young talent at several key positions, but they also have very little chance to add depth around these players.

Barnwell: Steelers will need young stars to emerge

Playing against Burfict twice a year doesn't help. :)

Eventually, the team is going to implode without a major re-tooling. They are simply kicking the can down the road. You always want your team to be "all in" on winning now, but you also have to be smart about how you go about it. The Steelers USED to do this. Over the past 5-6 years (give or take) it seems they drastically changed course on how they approach their team building. They are one major injury away from Ben to being in some real trouble. I know you can say that for any QB and team, but just from a cap perspective...

And so, the Steelers will have to dip back into the piggy bank and create more space. They can save $4 million by cutting Heath Miller, $1.8 million by releasing Shaun Suisham and $4.4 million by designating Cortez Allen as a post-June 1 release. That also leaves them without starters at three positions. The Steelers are perpetually pushing their cap problems into the future while doing whatever it takes to make rent today. As envious as teams should be about their young talent, and as impressive as they've been in 2014 and 2015, that lack of depth and inability to fill out the roster with competent contributors may be what costs the Steelers their chance at winning a Super Bowl with this core of players.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upcoming Free Agents

Players to Keep
Reggie Nelson (expensive) 4 years / 26 million
Vincent Rey (moderate) 3 years / 10 million
Mohamed Sanu (affordable) 3 years / 10 million
George Iloka (pretty expensive) 5 years / 25 million
Marvin Jones (moderate) 4 years / 17 million
Brandon Thompson (affordable) 2 years / 3 million
T.J Johnson (cheap) Veteran minimum

Players to Let Go
Andre Smith (because of price and we have replacement)
Adam Jones (mostly because of Dennard riding the pine. but upcoming price as well)
Leon Hall (price only)
Emmanuel Lamur (not important)
Wallace Gilberry (we have enough rotational players such as Hunt and Clarke)
Eric Winston (totally not necessary anymore)
Pat Sims (not needed and production was low anyways)
Brandon Tate (has needed to be cut for 3 years)

Draft needs I would focus on per round....
Round 1: CB/LB (CB Eli Apple / CB Kendall Fuller / LB Jaylon Smith / LB Darren Lee / LB Leonard Floyd)
Round 2: LB/CB
Round 3: WR
Round 4: DT
Round 5: OG

I don't think we need to keep Nelson at that price. Williams seems ready. Jones and Iloka are the top 2 priorities to keep. I'm fine with letting Sanu go unless he is cheap. I'd rather draft Braxton Miller anyways. I'd def resign Gilberry too. Dude is fantastic in his role. Jones is another we need to bring back. He was our best CB by far. I'm not ready for Josh Shaw to be our number 3 CB. Draft LB/WR/DT in the first 3 rounds. I'd take another WR mid rounds too. There is a lot of talent at WR in this draft. Take a CB and S later.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we need to keep Nelson at that price. Williams seems ready. Jones and Iloka are the top 2 priorities to keep. I'm fine with letting Sanu go unless he is cheap. I'd rather draft Braxton Miller anyways. I'd def resign Gilberry too. Dude is fantastic in his role. Jones is another we need to bring back. He was our best CB by far. I'm not ready for Josh Shaw to be our number 3 CB. Draft LB/WR/DT in the first 3 rounds. I'd take another WR mid rounds too. There is a lot of talent at WR in this draft. Take a CB and S later.
The biggest argument for bringing Jones back at CB is not that you don't want Shaw as the #3, but this team cannot afford to put Kirkpatrick at #1 CB. Dude is awful.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Tate is a probable candidate to be our #2 receiver in game 1 of the season.

Teflon Tate.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just edit out "players to keep" and put "players the Bengals will let go"
then edit out "players to let go" and put "players the bengals will keep"

there you have it. your NEW Cincinnati Bengals.

drink that freaking kool aid.

choke on it.

drown in it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more money for our defensive depth. Tate's the man at #2, he's a beast.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe we can sticky this one.

that way crash can edit is OP as we go along.
status of Marvin Jones: not likely returning

everyone else is still up for grabs.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't anyones top priority be money, especially when he hasn't really made much money yet. I don't blame him at all.

I agree to an extent..... I don't think that Marvin Jones should give the Bengals a hometown discount. Not if that discount means that he takes a contract that is significantly below market value.

But, I question some of the deals these guys sign that have a big number that is ultimately fake.... Meaning, the guaranteed money is less and the total figure is dependent upon that guy playing out the contract with no restructuring.... Or with a lot of the money being tied to incentives. If you sign with a failing team (with a bad offense), you'll end up with one big payday, but then you might get cut. And that stink of your failing season could live on. Look at Anthony Collins. Yes he pocketed some big money.... But the dude couldn't even get a small contract last season after teams had film of him sucking with a very flawed Tampa offense (year before Winston and the year they lost their coordinator right before the season).

To their credit (or discredit depending on how you look at it), the Bengals cut fair deals that generally expect the player to play the deal out. They've even paid guys more than their worth late in a deal rather than cutting them... Look at Leon Hall this season. We paid that guy like 9 million dollars to be an average slot corner.

So, I don't expect him to give us a discount..... But I think he'd be making a big mistake to go to a shitty team, with a shitty quarterback, a shaky front office and a 'flash-but-no-substance' contract.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers tight end Heath Miller retires

Heath Miller is finished.

He was probably going to have to move on anyway given his cap number, but this makes it official. This is good financially for Pittsburgh, but he was a dependable dude so he'll be missed.