• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its annoying and disgusting that the NFL has to make a spectacle out of everything for ad revenue. just release the schedule online like they used to for fucks sake.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its annoying and disgusting that the NFL has to make a spectacle out of everything for ad revenue. just release the schedule online like they used to for fucks sake.

They are trying to make the NFL a year round event.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have TWO thursday games what the ever living fuck?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos w
Patriots w
Miami push
Detroit Push
Giants W
49ers push
Atlanta W
Buffalo Push
Rams W
49ers PusH
Arizona W
Jets W
Arizona W
Green Bay Push
Minnesota W
Chicago W
Rams Push

Every "push" you have, I have as a loss and the 1 win you have against the Rams I also have as a loss. 9-8 would be a successful Season this year, and something I would be happy to see. If the Hawks finished 9-8 and miss the playoffs I am 100% more than fine with that for the first year of this rebuild. Yes we are rebuilding.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not uncommon. Especially when we only have 1 MNF game.
I hate thursday night, especially the home games ill be selling those tickets.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing against 4 of the 6 rookies (Williams, Maye, Nix, and McCarthy should start) and possibly 5 if Cousins is out... wow.

Mac should have no problem scheming against those guys. End at least we don't have a dumbass London game.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have TWO thursday games what the ever living fuck?
Just luck of the draw. Now that they have the unbalanced schedule with the 17th game, a certain number of teams will have to play on Thursday twice. The good thing about the second one though is that we get the mini bye before we finish the season in LA.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see a 10-11 win season and a WC at best with that schedule. I'm not going to go overboard with my hopes but just want to see steady improvement. I figure if we somehow pulled 9 wins out of our ass last year with that defense and shitty schedule, we should be able to improve on that. Nice to finally get the bye week right in the middle. I believe 2014 was the last time we had that. With an improvement on defense (hopefully), the home crowd should be able to become a factor once again. The past couple of years has been pretty meh at home at times.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos WIN
Patriots WIN
Miami LOSS
Detroit LOSS
Giants WIN
49ers LOSS
Atlanta WIN
Buffalo LOSS
Rams LOSS
49ers LOSS
Arizona WIN
Jets TIE / LOSS
Arizona WIN
Green Bay WIN
Minnesota WIN
Chicago LOSS ( YEP )
Rams LOSS

I see 9-8 or 8-9 depending on a few factors. Then again i could see us take a loss from the cards once ( almost did last year ) and Green bay. The two road games to end the season could be the death nail but at least when know it will be nice in LA ... not so much in Chicago. This very well could end up being a 6 win season but no higher than 9 wins. That's my feeling and I am fine with it. New staff, new system and a new start, things are always a little bumpy through these major changes. Never seen it not be, going to be some growing and learning by EVERYONE this season.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is close to impossible to predict how we will do next season because...

A) We don't know much of an impact, either direction, we will have from losing Pete as our HC.
B) We don't know if Macdonald will be a good coach or not.

It could be that Pete was holding up a weak team with good coaching and Macdonald is not ready to be an HC and we wind up 4-13. It's possible that Pete was holding the team back heavily and Macdonald is a coaching savant and we go 13-4.

Obviously somewhere in the middle is the likely outcome. But who the hell really knows?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is close to impossible to predict how we will do next season because...

A) We don't know much of an impact, either direction, we will have from losing Pete as our HC.

It could be that Pete was holding up a weak team with good coaching and Macdonald is not ready to be an HC and we wind up 4-13. It's possible that Pete was holding the team back heavily and Macdonald is a coaching savant and we go 13-4.

Obviously somewhere in the middle is the likely outcome. But who the hell really knows?

I think Pete DID have years where his coaching made them better than they should have been with out a doubt. I also believe his style of coaching had the team lose games in seasons where they shouldn't have lost but he never had a good team play badly for a season. He did have a bad team play good more than a few seasons.

I also believe Pete would have got these guys to 9-8 this year or better but i don't feel like they will reach that goal this season just with how much is changing on this team ( Scheme, design, style, ton of coaches ) Even if the Hawks go 0-17 I wouldn't write off Macdonald off after one season even if it falls apart. Need time to get this thing going in the right direction.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not impossible to make a prediction of course whether or not they work out is another matter. It's mostly a exercise for entertainment purposes any how as we can't know the future and even if it turns out right it's luck. At the end of last season I was not hopeful the Seahawks could match last years record since the run defense was so bad and the OL was a work in progress and needed more pieces, better pieces to improve.
Now I find myself getting hopeful almost against my will, since I was so sure this was going to be a tough season. Love the new coaching staff but this is the honeymoon stage so I try to keep that in mind. The off season free agency seemed hold some upside. The draft....well the first two picks seem awesome, guess I'll wait and see how the balance of the draft works but I have some doubts there. Looking at the schedule I could see a winning season (more wins then losses) happening. However hate to get my hopes up since there has been so many changes and logic would say some won't go as hoped. With the 49ers and Rams in the division it is going to be a uphill battle but I'll say this, I'm very excited for the season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impossible to make a prediction of course whether or not they work out is another matter. It's mostly a exercise for entertainment purposes any how as we can't know the future and even if it turns out right it's luck. At the end of last season I was not hopeful the Seahawks could match last years record since the run defense was so bad and the OL was a work in progress and needed more pieces, better pieces to improve.
Now I find myself getting hopeful almost against my will, since I was so sure this was going to be a tough season. Love the new coaching staff but this is the honeymoon stage so I try to keep that in mind. The off season free agency seemed hold some upside. The draft....well the first two picks seem awesome, guess I'll wait and see how the balance of the draft works but I have some doubts there. Looking at the schedule I could see a winning season (more wins then losses) happening. However hate to get my hopes up since there has been so many changes and logic would say some won't go as hoped. With the 49ers and Rams in the division it is going to be a uphill battle but I'll say this, I'm very excited for the season.

Of course we can make a prediction. My point was that any prediction is even more of a complete guess this year than in year's past. The closest comparison was 2022 when we had no idea how the team would perform without Russ and the team exceeded most people's expectations.

I like what the team has done in the off season. Guard still seems to be a big question mark and I would like another experienced player at LB and/or Safety.

But I think that so much will depend on whether Macdonald can turn around the defense and whether Ryan Grubb can be an NFL OC. No way to know until the season starts. IMO, I think they were both risks worth taking but there is no question that the team could look foolish if Macdonald seems overmatched as a HC. But better that then take a retread and hope he's NOW going to turn it all around.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we can make a prediction. My point was that any prediction is even more of a complete guess this year than in year's past. The closest comparison was 2022 when we had no idea how the team would perform without Russ and the team exceeded most people's expectations.

I like what the team has done in the off season. Guard still seems to be a big question mark and I would like another experienced player at LB and/or Safety.

But I think that so much will depend on whether Macdonald can turn around the defense and whether Ryan Grubb can be an NFL OC. No way to know until the season starts. IMO, I think they were both risks worth taking but there is no question that the team could look foolish if Macdonald seems overmatched as a HC. But better that then take a retread and hope he's NOW going to turn it all around.
I think the closes comparison would be 1999 or 2010, more so 1999. 1999 the team wasn't bad they just didn't have a QB and still needed some pieces, the 1998 Seahawks were a borderline playoff team ( Helmet TD knocked them out of a playoff spot ). 1999 was Also Holmgren's first year as the HC so that matches up. . 2010 Was Petes first year and there was a lot of work to be done. Full staff change and a lot of work to be done on the roster. There isn't as much work needed to be done on this roster but there is still quite a bit. Oline is a mess and it's wishful thinking that this year it's fixed. Run Defense was trash and the backend ( safeties ), Linebackers are completely made up of backup players. The DT/DE room is pretty deep but we need some guys to take the next step and the new guys to really push everyone to the next level. Looking ahead to the 2025 Draft the Hawks need Safeties/Linebackers TIED ( HIGHEST NEED ), Oline and TE.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the closes comparison would be 1999 or 2010, more so 1999. 1999 the team wasn't bad they just didn't have a QB and still needed some pieces, the 1998 Seahawks were a borderline playoff team ( Helmet TD knocked them out of a playoff spot ). 1999 was Also Holmgren's first year as the HC so that matches up. . 2010 Was Petes first year and there was a lot of work to be done. Full staff change and a lot of work to be done on the roster. There isn't as much work needed to be done on this roster but there is still quite a bit. Oline is a mess and it's wishful thinking that this year it's fixed. Run Defense was trash and the backend ( safeties ), Linebackers are completely made up of backup players. The DT/DE room is pretty deep but we need some guys to take the next step and the new guys to really push everyone to the next level. Looking ahead to the 2025 Draft the Hawks need Safeties/Linebackers TIED ( HIGHEST NEED ), Oline and TE.

Holmgren came to Seattle as a Super Bowl winning coach. I think most of us were pretty thrilled and confident he could turn it around. The only reach question was whether he could handle the personnel side. 2010 we again hired a proven commodity, albeit more so at the college level. But Pete had coached 2 other NFL teams. I wasn't thrilled with the Pete hired, which I was gloriously wrong about. As you say, Mike had a better roster to work with but needed a QB. Pete more or less cleaned house and leveraged his knowledge of college players to really turn the team around with a series of incredible drafts.

This is the first time the team has hired a first time head coach since Jack Patera. As you point out, the team has some clear gaps.

The good news is that Macdonald had no personal loyalty to any of the players. So it was easy for him to let Bobby and Brooks walk. Now the big question will be whether he was able to find real value in the guys he brought in or will they keep being average to above average players? Who knows.

IMO, I really love what he did on the DL. IMO, this is the best DL the team has had since the Super Bowl teams. If they produce in the way we hope, that will significantly improve the defensive backfield.

On offense, it all comes down to the middle of the OL. Seems like they are putting a lot of faith in guys like Olu and Bradford. To me, that is the biggest gamble.

The variance on this season is super high because of all of this. As I said, a 4 win team is a possibility, which I haven't said since before Pete showed up. But a 13 win team is a possibility as well IF Macdonald and Grubb are legit and they are able to cobble together a workable solution in the middle of the OL.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All eyes will be on the defense. It for sure wasn't the single problem in 2023, but Macdonald cut his teeth on that side as young coach in the NFL and his rep as a defensive whiz is why he's now our HC. The amount of one year deals on defensive players this off-season is fascinating to me because next off-season they'll either have another period of very high roster turnover or have to open up the checkbook to keep a few of them around. I suppose a 3rd option is the D will feature tons of 1st contract players in 2025.

The O needs to be better in 2024 than last year though. It wasn't just all defensive issues that we had. In the middle of the season, the offense was downright feeble in way too many games. 3rd down conversion rate was poor, and we only scored more than 21 points 2 times in the final 8 games. Scored 16 points or fewer in 6 games on the season. Very difficult to win with scoring outputs that low in today's NFL.