• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Despite "other teams are interested in Howell" think only a couple teams who were bargain shopping were in the market for a backup QB still like the Steelers.

Really wasn't a roster spot left for Howell, so anyone buying had the leverage, heck he might of been available off waivers if the Seahawks had waited.

Yup.
Problem with waiting is chance on losing him with multiple teams wanting him. Bringing in Howell now solves the QB room and now JS can focus more on the holes that need filling whether he takes someone at 16 or trades back for more picks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with waiting is chance on losing him with multiple teams wanting him. Bringing in Howell now solves the QB room and now JS can focus more on the holes that need filling whether he takes someone at 16 or trades back for more picks.

Very true. And aside from just the nice contract.. I can't imagine Schneider was like, "WE NEED A CHEAP BACKUP! TRADE" He has to like Howell (which reports say he does) and like flyer and I have been saying - there is a CHANCE (albeit slim) he can put it together and improve. From various sources and teams Howell has a good work ethic and wants to learn. That only takes you so far, granted - but there's a chance there. 1 year being thrown to the wolves is not 'proven' at all. 3 years *COUGH FIELDS* despite 'talent' is making me think "and we're done here...."

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks signed Johnathan Hankins. Love this signing. Exactly the sort of player that Pete refused to bring in.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. And aside from just the nice contract.. I can't imagine Schneider was like, "WE NEED A CHEAP BACKUP! TRADE" He has to like Howell (which reports say he does) and like flyer and I have been saying - there is a CHANCE (albeit slim) he can put it together and improve. From various sources and teams Howell has a good work ethic and wants to learn. That only takes you so far, granted - but there's a chance there. 1 year being thrown to the wolves is not 'proven' at all. 3 years *COUGH FIELDS* despite 'talent' is making me think "and we're done here...."
I like taking the chance on Howell. He's coming over from a dumpster fire organization with marginal talent he had to work with. Over here he has talented WR's, good RBs and Fant who's a fine TE. A coaching staff with a winning pedigree and Leslie Frazier with his input as a mentor. Can he put it together? Maybe? But he's in a better spot today to succeed than he was a month ago in DC.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks signed Johnathan Hankins. Love this signing. Exactly the sort of player that Pete refused to bring in.
its mind boggling how neglected the DL was the last several years, hopefully thats behind us now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprising because I thought they were tap out on cap space. Nice addition to the DL.

Well they are, but there's ways to clear out. They have to cut people anyway, releasing RFA on Jackson/Rhattigan means $7M back there alone... then you still gotta cut another 10 guys which is probably $8-9M... maybe Lockett extends, Jones and/or Metcalf restructure... dunno.

I love the Hankins signing though. Exactly what we needed.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the issue is that Howell is LOADED with flaws, falls off when throwing, not accurate when on the move, arm strength is only adequate, slow release, bad ball pat habit before he throws, takes to many sacks, lacks pocket awareness ( cant see rushers ) and vision, throws wounded ducks when he tries to put some muscle on the ball, Tends to throw high often, Plays smaller than his all ready short 6 foot and 1/2 inch frame, below average hand size.

Can he improve? yes he sure can but will he? I will say that the kid is fearless and has some swagger to him. Those are good traits.

I think he is good enough to push Geno a little ( not much ) but even if he improves Geno should easily beat him out. He is just a back-up while the Hawks look for their QB of the future.

JS has a plan to get his QB and all we can do is speculate what that might be. Time will tell and it could spell the end of his time as the GM or cement him as the GM for years to come.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Williams together... I like it...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the type of player a lot of us were yearning for last offseason and Pete was completely unwilling to go get.
It's so nice to have a fresh perspective and vision moving forward...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so nice to have a fresh perspective and vision moving forward...

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Honestly, this was why I wanted to move on from Pete 3 years ago. Really from the moment we botched the Clowney move and knee jerked in the Jamal Adams trade, I lost faith in Pete. Incredible coach and I am so thankful that he was our coach. But at some point, coaches become too entrenched in the past.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the type of player a lot of us were yearning for last offseason and Pete was completely unwilling to go get.

Even if Pete would've gotten him, Hankins probably would've been dropping into zone coverage :pound:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean with Wallace and Hankins coming over, I'd say our only real hole is guard and ILB. I just don't feel confident with Rhattigan as the only backup.

That DOES allow us to make moves at 16 though that are not a guard/ILB. If a rare talent drops or a QB falls that they just HAVE TO HAVE, then fine... you can pull the trigger and grab a guardx2/ILB in the 3rd/4th (or use some capital next year to move up the early 4th back into the 3rd).

We know John thinks guards are over-drafted so I'm not so sure he'll grab someone at 16... likely a trade down or like I said a rare talent or QB (most important position in sports) he likes falls and he takes them.. And that STILL means Howell was not a waste if we draft a QB. That means we have a backup next year for cheap if we let Geno go that has now been a year in the system.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean with Wallace and Hankins coming over, I'd say our only real hole is guard and ILB. I just don't feel confident with Rhattigan as the only backup.

I imagine they will be drafting the backup ILB.

That DOES allow us to make moves at 16 though that are not a guard/ILB. If a rare talent drops or a QB falls that they just HAVE TO HAVE, then fine... you can pull the trigger and grab a guardx2/ILB in the 3rd/4th (or use some capital next year to move up the early 4th back into the 3rd).

I would imagine that is the plan. Not having immediate needs give JS a lot more flexibility.

We know John thinks guards are over-drafted so I'm not so sure he'll grab someone at 16... likely a trade down or like I said a rare talent or QB (most important position in sports) he likes falls and he takes them.. And that STILL means Howell was not a waste if we draft a QB. That means we have a backup next year for cheap if we let Geno go that has now been a year in the system.

Even if we draft a QB, getting Howell was a smart move. Even if that means we have one year with 3 QBs.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the issue is that Howell is LOADED with flaws, falls off when throwing, not accurate when on the move, arm strength is only adequate, slow release, bad ball pat habit before he throws, takes to many sacks, lacks pocket awareness ( cant see rushers ) and vision, throws wounded ducks when he tries to put some muscle on the ball, Tends to throw high often, Plays smaller than his all ready short 6 foot and 1/2 inch frame, below average hand size.

Can he improve? yes he sure can but will he? I will say that the kid is fearless and has some swagger to him. Those are good traits.

I think he is good enough to push Geno a little ( not much ) but even if he improves Geno should easily beat him out. He is just a back-up while the Hawks look for their QB of the future.

JS has a plan to get his QB and all we can do is speculate what that might be. Time will tell and it could spell the end of his time as the GM or cement him as the GM for years to come.
These are good points but I'm a firm believer if you have the right coaching staff in place, these mechanical issues can be fixed. Howell is coming from a dumpster fire org with lame duck coaches riding out the ride and maybe with fresh eyes over here he can improve in those areas you mentioned. I'm not saying Howell is the QBoF but he could turn into a descent stop gap while building up the roster than move onto QB.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are good points but I'm a firm believer if you have the right coaching staff in place, these mechanical issues can be fixed. Howell is coming from a dumpster fire org with lame duck coaches riding out the ride and maybe with fresh eyes over here he can improve in those areas you mentioned. I'm not saying Howell is the QBoF but he could turn into a descent stop gap while building up the roster than move onto QB.

It's rare to have a coaching staff that can turn a below average QB into a good one, if it wasn't there would be more than just a handful of Good QB's in the NFL. thinking this unit can do it is like saying you're going to win the lottery. Wishful thinking at best.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's rare to have a coaching staff that can turn a below average QB into a good one, if it wasn't there would be more than just a handful of Good QB's in the NFL. thinking this unit can do it is like saying you're going to win the lottery. Wishful thinking at best.

This is true. And most likely Howell won't ever be anything more than a league average QB. But there is a chance he will be something more.

It would be extremely risky to go into the draft without having some sort of backup though. And he cost very little.