• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has more upside than fields. Fields had multiple years to prove himself and never developed as a passer.

I agree completely. I think Fields is the sort of QB that fans get excited about but coaches get frustrated with. Great athlete that can make great throws but has poor field vision and can't get the ball out quickly.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has more upside than fields. Fields had multiple years to prove himself and never developed as a passer.
Howell's intriguing I just hate moving back in the draft since the Seahawks don't have a second.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt they would have taken that pick.
They already signed Mariota for a base salary of 6 million with possibility of earning 10 million, Mac Jones was traded for a 6th and so was Fields. Howell was getting traded and a 6th was market price.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that shark likes to bring up how bad Washingtons Oline was and how they did not help Howell. They were graded higher than the Hawks Oline at the end of the year....... yeah thats a thing. So I ask you would Geno have done better behind a better line? yes he would but would Howell do better behind a worse line? no i don't think so.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that shark likes to bring up how bad Washingtons Oline was and how they did not help Howell. They were graded higher than the Hawks Oline at the end of the year....... yeah thats a thing. So I ask you would Geno have done better behind a better line? yes he would but would Howell do better behind a worse line? no i don't think so.

It's difficult to measure relative quality of OLs. But I think the big issue for Howell was he was a 1st year starter who was asked to carry a huge load for a team with minimal talent, selling off its best players on defense, with a coach who knew he was a dead man walking a quarter way through the season. Having a 1st year starter lead the league in pass attempts is downright incompetence.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fine PFF may have them SLIGHTLY graded higher, but it's not like they're GOOD either lol. I would expect Seattle's line to get BETTER (that's the hope) in which case with some more experience and better weapons than Washington, Howell may too...

Also to flyer's point... if the gameplan was to have him throw 600 times with a guy starting his first season... I mean WTF is that? I get Washington's defense sucked (hell ours did too) but THAT was the coach's gameplan? Hell that sounds about as stupid as running soft zone every single down.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have already posted but Dodson only $4.2M this year (up to $5.5M with incentives). Not bad for Seattle... stinks him and Baker are both only 1 year only... but I think those are very good contracts for the short term.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's difficult to measure relative quality of OLs. But I think the big issue for Howell was he was a 1st year starter who was asked to carry a huge load for a team with minimal talent, selling off its best players on defense, with a coach who knew he was a dead man walking a quarter way through the season. Having a 1st year starter lead the league in pass attempts is downright incompetence.

Agreed but that is the coaches incompetence not the oline. As bad as Washingtons oline was when talking pass blocking and run blocking the Hawks Oline was the next tier down from theirs. Hell the Hawks were 31st in the league in RUSHING ATTEMPTS! Thats stupid when you got KW back there and Charbs. Hawks had 23 more rushing attempts than Washington who only had 61 more passing attempts than the Hawks. The real tell is the pittifull 6.4 yards per attempt by Howell, Washington was using the short passing game as an extension to their running game the Hawks on the other hand were ignoring their running game.

Those 65 sacks behind Washingtons Oline might have been 75 behind ours. Also i don't care what anyone says a young man with 2 years in the NFL isn't "Basically" a rookie. Bast case scenario for a QB is to get a full season as a back up to learn which he did. Just tired of the BS " He was basically a rookie" and " He played behind a awful oline". Yes his coaching staff didn't help him but he also did not help himself taking way to many sacks.

Feels more like people trying to defend their belief that it was the Olines fault when that was not the issue only to make them feel better about the situation. He is 23 and has a chance to improve, thats the good thing.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed but that is the coaches incompetence not the oline. As bad as Washingtons oline was when talking pass blocking and run blocking the Hawks Oline was the next tier down from theirs. Hell the Hawks were 31st in the league in RUSHING ATTEMPTS! Thats stupid when you got KW back there and Charbs. Hawks had 23 more rushing attempts than Washington who only had 61 more passing attempts than the Hawks. The real tell is the pittifull 6.4 yards per attempt by Howell, Washington was using the short passing game as an extension to their running game the Hawks on the other hand were ignoring their running game.

The Hawks OL was mostly pretty terrible last year. Lucas never got back into form after his injury and Cross struggled after coming back from injury. Evan Brown was one of the worst centers in the league and Bradford was going through trial by fire.

Those 65 sacks behind Washingtons Oline might have been 75 behind ours. Also i don't care what anyone says a young man with 2 years in the NFL isn't "Basically" a rookie. Bast case scenario for a QB is to get a full season as a back up to learn which he did. Just tired of the BS " He was basically a rookie" and " He played behind a awful oline". Yes his coaching staff didn't help him but he also did not help himself taking way to many sacks.

Feels more like people trying to defend their belief that it was the Olines fault when that was not the issue only to make them feel better about the situation.

The reality is that Howell will most likely be nothing more than a back-up/mid-tier QB level QB. But I do think there is at least some reason to be hopeful that he could succeed in the right situation. He's mobile and has a strong arm. If Grub can put him into situations to succeed, he could be a huge win.

One interesting stat I heard was that Howell was top 3 in the NFL in deep out throws. Guess what Grub loves? Deep out throws. I guess we will see.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanna see Seattle run successful runningback screens and be able to reasonably stop them over the course of the year... :Cry:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the issue i have is I think Lock could be a mid tier starter ( i have 1st, 2nd mid, 4th and bottom tiers ) with a good shot at that 2nd tier (Geno is mid tier). Howell is in that 4th tier with a shot at mid. Thats how i see it. I just dont see the draft capital they used to get him. Now i understand the lower money and extra years but if you plan to ride Geno for 2 more years then you are surrendering those 2 seasons in my eyes. If you do that then you might as well cut cap which they did 100%. full on rebuild people nothing more. 8 wins next year would be a shock but thats ok, if we have to go backwards for two years to then go forward i am all aboard.

who knows the Hawks might be picking between that 1-5 range in the first round the next 2 years and thats a good thing for rebuilding just hard to swallow as a fan and if Macdonald doesn't work out we might see 6+ years of crap. They will give Macdonald 3 years to turn things around even if they go 0-17 the next year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the issue i have is I think Lock could be a mid tier starter ( i have 1st, 2nd mid, 4th and bottom tiers ) with a good shot at that 2nd tier (Geno is mid tier). Howell is in that 4th tier with a shot at mid. Thats how i see it. I just dont see the draft capital they used to get him. Now i understand the lower money and extra years but if you plan to ride Geno for 2 more years then you are surrendering those 2 seasons in my eyes. If you do that then you might as well cut cap which they did 100%. full on rebuild people nothing more. 8 wins next year would be a shock but thats ok, if we have to go backwards for two years to then go forward i am all aboard.

You are still holding onto to that Lock faith. He's 28 and has never shown that's capable of being even a 2nd tier starter. He simply doesn't have the consistent accuracy.

Howell is 5 years younger than Lock. He may never turn into anything but he has a much better chance of doing so.

who knows the Hawks might be picking between that 1-5 range in the first round the next 2 years and thats a good thing for rebuilding just hard to swallow as a fan and if Macdonald doesn't work out we might see 6+ years of crap. They will give Macdonald 3 years to turn things around even if they go 0-17 the next year.

If we are a 4 or 5 win team for the next 2 years that would be an unmitigated disaster and likely spell the end of the Macdonald era in Seattle. If they go 0-17 next year Macdonald is 100% fired.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already signed Mariota for a base salary of 6 million with possibility of earning 10 million, Mac Jones was traded for a 6th and so was Fields. Howell was getting traded and a 6th was market price.
Mac Jones is a bust, Howell is an unknown and was traded before Fields so there wasn't much evidence the market was a 6th rounder.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones is a bust, Howell is an unknown and was traded before Fields so there wasn't much evidence the market was a 6th rounder.
Howell has a track record though,5th round pick, lead the league in interceptions, lead the league is sacks and Washington made it clear they were moving on from him when they signed Mariota.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howell has a track record though,5th round pick, lead the league in interceptions, lead the league is sacks and Washington made it clear they were moving on from him when they signed Mariota.
What you're forgetting is it's a new regime taking over and Howell wasn't their choice. Mariota will only be the backup to whoever Washington wants to draft. Mariota is there to only provide advise and leadership to the new QB1. They had no choice but to move on from Howell. Wouldn't have mattered if Howell was a third rounder, 5th rounder or walk on that threw for almost 4000yds. That team is hideous and void of talent yet somehow still managed 3900+yds. That coaching staff was lame duck but with Seattle's new coaching staff he has a chance to learn for a year behind Geno and gain more knowledge and experience to be a better QB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of why the Footballskins decided to move Howell, there's a theory out there that makes some sense to me: if they're planning to take Drake Maye at #2, they want to avoid the awkwardness of having Howell backing him up when Maye backed up Howell at UNC. I don't know if that's a good enough reason for a complete QB room upheaval, but I also don't think that's really what they did by trading Howell away.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're forgetting is it's a new regime taking over and Howell wasn't their choice.
Exactly. Despite "other teams are interested in Howell" think only a couple teams who were bargain shopping were in the market for a backup QB still like the Steelers.
Mariota will only be the backup to whoever Washington wants to draft. Mariota is there to only provide advise and leadership to the new QB1.
Really wasn't a roster spot left for Howell, so anyone buying had the leverage, heck he might of been available off waivers if the Seahawks had waited.
They had no choice but to move on from Howell.
Yup.