• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about the cap space Spotrac and OTC have the Seahawks with about 33 million left and the draft will cost about 8.4 and contracts are structure to make the first year cap hit light (if they want to add players). There are teams still in the red for cap space and only 7 teams have more cap space then the Seahawks at this point in time. I feel the Seahawks have lots of flexibility to make various moves for signing players or trading for players if they want to make any moves.

They do have that at $33M, and have not included a lot of the cap hits (undisclosed) for Brown, Fantx2, Harris, Jenkins.. So $33M left, sub $8M (to your point) for draft, $25M, maybe another $3M for injuries, $22M, and with 5 players left let's say that's $2M per (which is insane to think) that takes them down to $12M.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did not see that coming
Holy shit!!!!! Are those picks traded away this year? Guess that ends the debate about if the Seahawks are drafting a QB, obviously not. Howell has some potential I guess but never the less I hate this trade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF!? HOLY SHIT...

I mean Howell is a sack machine... well, I guess there goes drafting a QB...
I don't think it definitely means we won't draft a Q!. It was basically just a pick swap.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean Howell almost threw for 4K yards... sacked 63 times... ooof. Schneider did like Howell (from reports anyway, I don't know John personally lol). I mean if the goal is to see if that's the future, okay. He's only like 23 and change...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit!!!!! Are those picks traded away this year? Guess that ends the debate about if the Seahawks are drafting a QB, obviously not. Howell has some potential I guess but never the less I hate this trade.
As I said, I don't think this precludes us from drafting a QB. Basically moved back 25 skis with both picks. No cap hit. Gives them instance of they don't get the QB they want

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, I don't think this precludes us from drafting a QB. Basically moved back 25 skis with both picks. No cap hit. Gives them instance of they don't get the QB they want
We'll have to wait and see but the draft capitol was already less then ideal and is now a little worse. Howell been a interception and sack machine so how did they squeeze this out of JS?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to wait and see but the draft capitol was already less then ideal and is now a little worse. Howell been a interception and sack machine so how did they squeeze this out of JS?
I'm guessing that JS thinks the cap space matters more than the draft slots

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well we had to get a backup, this only costs us $1M (actually $985K), Howell did turnover and take sacks, but it's not like the Skins were that good...

I don't know if this is a plan to make Howell just a backup. Howell is only 23.5 years old... he can certainly develop and become the starter if he can get the right coaching. Seattle's OL is kind of in shambles, but I will say he's got far better weapons in Seattle than he did in Washington, so maybe there's something there?

I've been saying for quite some time... if Schneiders wants to move on a QB - I gotta put my faith in him. He's nailed Rodgers, Wilson, Allen (proposed the trade for him but Carroll shut it down), Mahomes (really liked him), and liked Geno.. so there ya go....

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that JS thinks the cap space matters more than the draft slots

That's relevant. Howell will cost $1M. Lock would've been $5M... but there's also the discussion on draft picks and what we really gave up.

We gave up a mid 3rd but acquired an early 4th... so we do lose a bit, but I see some fans reacting like: "OMG WE GAVE UP A 3rd for HOWELL!?" Well, no... not really. The value at that point is like a late 4th rounder...

If our plan was to draft a QB in the 3rd anyway then there's a few questions: 1) "Is the right person there?" 2) Can Seattle sustain the 3rd round selection for QB in terms of cap, and 3) Is the prospect there going to be better than Howell to begin with? Who nearly threw for 4K yards?

Howell wasn't great last year and I can question the Skins' scheme, but he still almost threw for 4K yards... there's some positives there. It's not Ridder who with a solid OL and tons of weps did F all.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Washington's OL was horrible. They had a decent guard... but a lot of our OL talent is great at pass blocking. Cross, Lucas (if healthy), but even Brown (his backup or starter) all good at pass blocking... Oluwatimi was also a good pass blocker. We have to figure out guard but whatever. Fant and Bobo are also good pass blockers.

Washington's actual skill positions are nowhere NEAR the talent of Seattle... it's not even close. Metcalf, Lockett, JSN, Walker, Charbs, Fant crap all over it. And if you can believe it or not.. Washington's D was the worst in the league, even worse than Seattle... who had the worst TOP. Howell had no choice but to consistently try to chuck the ball downfield to make plays, resulting in a lot of sacks/INTs. If Macdonald can turn this defense into let's say... 20th (which I 100% think he can), the ENTIRE philosophy and gameplan changes for Howell...

I think it's a solid move. Lock is almost 4 years older than Howell. There's nothing left there... Howell at 24 during the season at least has a chance to develop into something. Hell Penix and Nix are already older than him.. Howell was a 2nd-3rd round prospect that fell to the 5th... so we give up in 'draft value' a late 4th/early 5th for not only a backup but a potential starter that is CHEAP (save $4M cap) for this?

IMO it's an A grade for both teams.

Skins have zero need for Howell anymore drafting their next QB of the future.
Seattle needs to think about their future but hopefully cheaper than just spending a 3rd rounder on an unknown, especially when you have a GM that has 'hit' on pretty much every QB (publicly before they played in the NFL) over the last 15 years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let them leave without signing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let them leave without signing.

Just give me one. Now that we don't need a QB, we can focus on trading back in the 1st, grab Nubin and Colson, best OL/DL in the 3rd/4th. Done and done.

And the $4M saved by going Howell over Lock not only gives us an advantage for a QB of the future, but also allows us to spend here and not waste a 3rd on a sub-par QB that John is forced to take.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we are taking a QB round 1, its gonna be a trade down and a LB or S.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodson... DODSON, WE GOT DODSON HERE!!!!!!

pgl9PI.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today I'm LOVING. Howell and Dodson!? OH YEAH. Patience was a virtue on this offseason. What a great signing. We can actually go Nubin or any one of the ton of OL available with our 16th at this point.