• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do the Saints have more cap space than us? I Swore they were in Cap hell just last month!

They pushed their cap out a year. Cameron Jordan will now cost them over $23 million next year in a voided contract. Michael Thomas reduced his contract this year to all but guarantee he'll be there next year - and costing over $9 million the following year in a voided contract. Andrus Peat renegotiated to drop his cap number, but will now cost over $13 million next year in a voided contract.

This year they were $50 million over the cap before the 2022 season started - next year they are already $75 million over the cap. They better hope the contract shenanigans start to translate into a turnaround, as their wins have dropped each of the last 3 years since they started doing this.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the release of Big Al, the near total demolition of the DL is about complete. I guess we will see if maybe they bring Shelby Harris back, but it looks like there will be only 1 or 2 guys (DL) from last year's roster who start camp. While not unwarranted, that is a massive amount of turnover at 1 position/unit.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the release of Big Al, the near total demolition of the DL is about complete. I guess we will see if maybe they bring Shelby Harris back, but it looks like there will be only 1 or 2 guys (DL) from last year's roster who start camp. While not unwarranted, that is a massive amount of turnover at 1 position/unit.
Very true... Like you mentioned about Harris, I'll be surprised if he's not resigned to play along his old DL peer from Denver... I wouldn't be surprised to see Woods resigned either at a bit cheaper structure...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly is a ton of attention directed at the line but not unwarranted. So often "Positive Pete" fluffs even the worst of situations with a positive spin that it's refreshing to see for once that their actions are speaking for them. The line was horrible, we all saw it, and with all of the moves the team has made it shows that we aren't standing pat in fixing the glaring issue. Still have some work to do but the overhaul has begun and I dig what we've done.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah I heard there was some nagging issue he was having last year - that must've been it (although didn't he break something else)?

At this point I really couldn't care less about Wilson or the Broncos. Not rooting for him or against him... our team really has nothing to do with them now. Last year I was fully rooting against him due to the picks, but now that that's gone, again - whatever.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be more excited about the 2023 Seahawks than Denver fans were about the 2022 Broncos.

:facepalm5:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:tsk:

I think this is the first massive failure of this offseason although it wasn't hard to see it coming with the Love signing. Maybe we don't know something (injury/contract/player's ask) that the FO does.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:tsk:

I think this is the first massive failure of this offseason although it wasn't hard to see it coming with the Love signing. Maybe we don't know something (injury/contract/player's ask) that the FO does.

Well, Neal was the 2nd highest rated safety in the NFL this year by PFF. And while that isn't exactly a slam dunk, players tend to want to be compensated when their names end up on the top of lists like that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Neal was the 2nd highest rated safety in the NFL this year by PFF. And while that isn't exactly a slam dunk, players tend to want to be compensated when their names end up on the top of lists like that.

I know... I was just hoping we'd keep him around for super cheap, cause that'd make our secondary absolutely fuckin' insane if Adams actually learns to health.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFFs power rankings at the moment...

Biggest loss... :pound:

1680709349372.png

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFFs power rankings at the moment...

Biggest loss... :pound:

View attachment 325216

When was this written? I mean, it's not like we had a stellar list of FAs available this year and if this is written before the Neal signing - Barton was the biggest loss for the team.

Here's the list of guys who've signed, not exactly a bunch of A-tier players.
Cody Barton
Travis Homer
Rashaad Penny
LJ Collier
Johnathan Abram
Tony Jones
Ryan Neal
Kyle Fuller
Marquise Goodwin

Outside of Geno, only Poona was in PFF's top 100 FA ranks, and he isn't signed - so isn't a "loss" yet - he could in theory still come back.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was this written? I mean, it's not like we had a stellar list of FAs available this year and if this is written before the Neal signing - Barton was the biggest loss for the team.

Here's the list of guys who've signed, not exactly a bunch of A-tier players.
Cody Barton
Travis Homer
Rashaad Penny
LJ Collier
Johnathan Abram
Tony Jones
Ryan Neal
Kyle Fuller
Marquise Goodwin

2 days ago...

I just found it amusing that they listed Barton as the biggest loss when probably Penny or Neal was EASILY a FAR bigger loss than an absolute dud at ILB....

I mean I get it... most of us on the forum watch the Hawks all the time.. you don't necessarily have a dedicated person on your payroll for each team... but biggest loss: Barton? I was dying of laughter when I read that.

Biggest loss for what they SIGNED for was Neal, Goodwin, Penny (in no order) and Barton a distant PS guy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 days ago...

I just found it amusing that they listed Barton as the biggest loss when probably Penny or Neal was EASILY a FAR bigger loss than an absolute dud at ILB....

I mean I get it... most of us on the forum watch the Hawks all the time.. you don't necessarily have a dedicated person on your payroll for each team... but biggest loss: Barton? I was dying of laughter when I read that.

Biggest loss for what they SIGNED for was Neal, Goodwin, Penny (in no order) and Barton a distant PS guy.
I know Barton has plenty of critics here and Ryan Neal is some sort of cult hero, but we are a lot thinner at LB than DB. Also, I just don't think our list of free agent losses is all that impressive. They are all role players and mostly backups. If I could only bring 1 of them back, it's probably Penny because I think that would keep us from taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, which I fully expect to happen as things sit right now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Barton has plenty of critics here and Ryan Neal is some sort of cult hero, but we are a lot thinner at LB than DB. Also, I just don't think our list of free agent losses is all that impressive. They are all role players and mostly backups. If I could only bring 1 of them back, it's probably Penny because I think that would keep us from taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, which I fully expect to happen as things sit right now.

Well, Neal actually played pretty amazing last year, not sure why you're labeling him as some 'cult hero'. Never heard him described that way, but that's an interesting albeit head scratching label.

Now as for your comment we are thinner at LB than DB, I would 100% agree. It's why over the past weeks I've been mentioning Jack Campbell as a pick, that Bush is not going to solve the problem (and is likely a wash with Barton), why we needed Bobby Wagner, that Brooks is out for probably the 2023 season, etc.

Love is just an upgrade, just is.
Brown is just an upgrade over Blythe and basically everyone else on the interior line, just is.
Bush is a wash.
Reed is just an upgrade over Ford and in the pass rush department (at least with the 3-4).
Jones and Harris are a wash but Jones is younger and has more upside.
Wagner is easily an upgrade over Brooks and Barton despite his age.

So I really don't understand your comment about 'role players' and 'mostly backups'.

Love is a starter, Brown is a starter (at Center if anything), Bush will probably be forced into a starting role because yes we are thin, Jones is a starter, Reed I agree SHOULD be a situational/role player but just due to depth is probably starting...

IMO the actual biggest loss we incurred was Al Woods, who I get is just way too old to keep relying on, but he filled a major role and our D will continue to be swiss cheese against the run unless we draft it (as Mone is probably not back anytime soon and really doesn't necessarily solve the problem anyway). BARTON!? BARTON according to PFF was our greatest loss? Bush/Barton wash out, so that's why I found it funny.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Neal actually played pretty amazing last year, not sure why you're labeling him as some 'cult hero'. Never heard him described that way, but that's an interesting albeit head scratching label.
It was just a light hearted type comment about how nutso some people seem to be in here about Ryan Neal. Wasn't some super serious line in the sand I was making or anything.

So I really don't understand your comment about 'role players' and 'mostly backups'.
I was talking about the free agents we lost, not the ones we have signed.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 days ago...

You got your wish that Barton is gone, but still take consistent pot shots at him. Your hatred of him has been noted, many times over.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 days ago...

The way I looked at it was the fact that we lost a center, too... Same thing could be said that Forsyth was a huge void because we didn't have a center on the roster anymore... Barton leaving left us a void at LB... The way I look at it is it's not a big loss if a guy like Barton us not easily replaceable... But the fact of the matter is, he is/was very easily replaceable on this roster because he shouldn't have warranted a full time starting LB spot on this roster...