• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Observations from yesterdays game against Seattle

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for EKA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEZQ5_9HXI
I appologize for poor quality and missing the original play, but the replay clearly shows an infraction.
EKA, you blamed the officials for affecting the outcome of this game.
You cited a specific play to illustrate your point.
It is obvious to anyone that the play you relied upon to show how poor officiated this game was in fact was the correct and accurate call.

Seattle had twice as many calls against them than your team got, 8vs4.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you actually watch the play? Fletcher's head was turned looking for the ball. Your WR ran directly into him not even looking for the ball. If anything, it was a no call or PI on the WR. Apparently, even the TV announcers said it was a bad call.

And after watching the Seattle DB's clutching and grabbing all day with no calls, you may just want to take the win and get out of here.

You are the second Philly fan to tell me to leave just because they don't like what they hear.
You guys are supposed to be thick skinned:noidea:

EKA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for EKA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEZQ5_9HXI
I appologize for poor quality and missing the original play, but the replay clearly shows an infraction.
EKA, you blamed the officials for affecting the outcome of this game.
You cited a specific play to illustrate your point.
It is obvious to anyone that the play you relied upon to show how poor officiated this game was in fact was the correct and accurate call.

Seattle had twice as many calls against them than your team got, 8vs4.

1. Again, I stand by the opinion that is should've been a no call if anything. Both are hand fighting and looking for the ball (which it didn't look like he was doing live, at the game). Fletcher had his head turned and was looking for the ball. He made the play on the ball while the Seattle WR tried to pull him down. We're never going to agree on this. He admitted to running into Fletcher to draw the penalty telling me he wasn't playing the ball because it was a poor placement on the throw.

2. I cited this play as an example after noting many other things. Don't you think I would've led off with this if it was a main point? No, the rest of what I said affected the game more. Slow spotting of the ball, ticky tack calls on the Eagles, missed/ignored calls on the Seahawks.

I know we're both bias, but can you at least admit the Seahawks got the benefit of piss poor officiating. Hell, the Eagles had to punt twice at one point because the ref said another ref was out of position. WTF, that's only their job.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The morning show here in Dallas was talking about the idea of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for receivers getting up and whining about flags on every play they don't catch a pass. I agree with it but man, Dez will be getting a 15 yard penalty every damn pass play.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Again, I stand by the opinion that is should've been a no call if anything. Both are hand fighting and looking for the ball (which it didn't look like he was doing live, at the game). Fletcher had his head turned and was looking for the ball. He made the play on the ball while the Seattle WR tried to pull him down. We're never going to agree on this. He admitted to running into Fletcher to draw the penalty telling me he wasn't playing the ball because it was a poor placement on the throw.

2. I cited this play as an example after noting many other things. Don't you think I would've led off with this if it was a main point? No, the rest of what I said affected the game more. Slow spotting of the ball, ticky tack calls on the Eagles, missed/ignored calls on the Seahawks.

I know we're both bias, but can you at least admit the Seahawks got the benefit of piss poor officiating. Hell, the Eagles had to punt twice at one point because the ref said another ref was out of position. WTF, that's only their job.
Damnit man. Earlier you said the announcers on TV validated a poor call. Notice that Aikman says Flethcher never looks back for the ball.
Our guy ran 15 yards with his head turned to the ball. Your guy turned to look for the ball on his last step.
Fuck, even with hard evidence you are so blind to a fact.
It is my own fault for arguing with a fool...and you think a no call would be best. Of course you would. Any other Eagle fans see this play the way EKA does?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By rule you can make a case for the PI call, but imo the rule needs to be modified and I've thought this way prior to this play. The defender's job "should be" to get in the way of the receiver catching the ball ... hell, that's the point of playing defense. Now, if the defender doesn't look back "and" creates the contact then yeah ... by all means throw the flag on the defender. But if the "receiver" creates the contact then it should be either a no call an offensive PI call regardless if the defender is looking back. The problem is that the league wants to see more offense as Offense drives ratings and Fantasy Football. They have made it near impossible to play Defense ... a DB needs to be a friggin' surgeon ... stay with the defender, but don't breath on him and while you're at it don't look at him when the ball's coming (you should use your spider sense) or else we'll flag you for not looking into the backfield. In my opinion they need to eliminate the part where the defender needs to look for the ball ... if he happens to be in the way then good D! It should simply be that you can't grab or create contact with the defender past 5 yards ... plain and simple. It should be the receivers job to look for the ball and make adjustments if the defender happens to be there.

I'm waiting for the rule to come out where a DB can't be within 3 feet of a receiver ... ever.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Nate Allen sucked and Jenkins had his worst game as an Eagle.
I agree 100%!!!! Nate Allen was pathetic all game...Jenkins got roasted, then had an opportunity to redeem himself and dropped a sure pick 6!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By rule you can make a case for the PI call, but imo the rule needs to be modified and I've thought this way prior to this play. The defender's job "should be" to get in the way of the receiver catching the ball ... hell, that's the point of playing defense. Now, if the defender doesn't look back "and" creates the contact then yeah ... by all means throw the flag on the defender. But if the "receiver" creates the contact then it should be either a no call an offensive PI call regardless if the defender is looking back. The problem is that the league wants to see more offense as Offense drives ratings and Fantasy Football. They have made it near impossible to play Defense ... a DB needs to be a friggin' surgeon ... stay with the defender, but don't breath on him and while you're at it don't look at him when the ball's coming (you should use your spider sense) or else we'll flag you for not looking into the backfield. In my opinion they need to eliminate the part where the defender needs to look for the ball ... if he happens to be in the way then good D! It should simply be that you can't grab or create contact with the defender past 5 yards ... plain and simple. It should be the receivers job to look for the ball and make adjustments if the defender happens to be there.

I'm waiting for the rule to come out where a DB can't be within 3 feet of a receiver ... ever.
I agree with you in that the rules are severely sided towards the offense and are unfair IMO. Yet, the rule clearly defines what PI is in today's NFL and #24 committed the foul.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fletcher did turn around for the ball for sure. So penalties are called for guys being in the way? How ridiculous does that sound? That's called being in position.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fletcher did turn around for the ball for sure. So penalties are called for guys being in the way? How ridiculous does that sound? That's called being in position.

I will repost the rules for offensive and defensive PI.

It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball.

Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

There was lots of contact before #24 turned his head to locate the ball which was at the very last moment before the ball arrived. He made an athletic move just being able to swat the ball away but by rule definition as stated above, he was at fault.

PhillyJoker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get the officials out of the way first since that is what everyone is talking about.

This game should have ended 14-17 Seahawks, either way the Hawks should have won but that said the officiating did affect the game. Their 1st TD was directly influenced by the no call on the OLine down field, that was a third and long IIRC and the penalty would have pushed them even further back. That is the biggest error and while perhaps some smaller ones that also had some impact on the game, to me they were minor enough in comparison with how poorly our vaunted offense played to mention them.

I think the Eagles are in a bit of a conundrum going into next year. Not saying I have given up on this year, if we get hot and adjust some things I could see us making a run at the Superbowl, but I think we'll be a 1 and done in the playoffs. The problem i'm talking about is the two major flaws of this team that will really help illuminate what Chip is trying to do. It seems like we either need a major influx of talent in the secondary, OR a top tier quarterback. It's my firm belief that either of those two things make us a Superbowl contender.

This team with any of Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, or Luck with no other talent would be making a run guaranteed. Granted, the same could probably be said for quite a few other teams.

On the flip side, if we had either a shutdown corner (Sherman) or 2 above average defenders (Sheldon Brown/Lito Sheppard types) I also think we would certainly be making a run as well.

That is what I see being quite a critical decision as we move forward. Basically it boils down to:

- If we go the defensive route and get talent in the backfield is Foles ready to step up and lead the team forward?

- If we go for the top tier quarterback (draft, FA, trade, whatever) can that player overcome the defensive deficiencies?

- Do we have enough capital to try and get both a top tier quarterback, and bolster the defensive secondary while keeping the talent we've accrued in the trenches?

I don't know, but it's going to be an exciting ride!

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get the officials out of the way first since that is what everyone is talking about.

This game should have ended 14-17 Seahawks, either way the Hawks should have won but that said the officiating did affect the game. Their 1st TD was directly influenced by the no call on the OLine down field, that was a third and long IIRC and the penalty would have pushed them even further back. That is the biggest error and while perhaps some smaller ones that also had some impact on the game, to me they were minor enough in comparison with how poorly our vaunted offense played to mention them.

The issue with your point is that apart from the two ref-assisted drives, the Seattle Offense was not too effective either.

And no - despite what UH says - the Bradley PI was NOT a defensive PI. Even by Baldwin's own admission. Apart from the clear inconsistency of the officiating there. Baldwin runs into Fletcher, defensive PI. Celek gets leveled on 3rd down, clearly before the ball gets there, NO CALL.

Yes, Seattle was the better team, but if not for the officiating, they quite possibly would NOT have been able to actually make that count in the score.

As said before, if the Eagles had won the game, it would have been one they stole. The refs played a massive part to make sure they would not be able to do so.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Eagles are in a bit of a conundrum going into next year. Not saying I have given up on this year, if we get hot and adjust some things I could see us making a run at the Superbowl, but I think we'll be a 1 and done in the playoffs. The problem i'm talking about is the two major flaws of this team that will really help illuminate what Chip is trying to do. It seems like we either need a major influx of talent in the secondary, OR a top tier quarterback. It's my firm belief that either of those two things make us a Superbowl contender.

This team with any of Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, or Luck with no other talent would be making a run guaranteed. Granted, the same could probably be said for quite a few other teams.

On the flip side, if we had either a shutdown corner (Sherman) or 2 above average defenders (Sheldon Brown/Lito Sheppard types) I also think we would certainly be making a run as well.

That is what I see being quite a critical decision as we move forward. Basically it boils down to:

- If we go the defensive route and get talent in the backfield is Foles ready to step up and lead the team forward?

- If we go for the top tier quarterback (draft, FA, trade, whatever) can that player overcome the defensive deficiencies?

- Do we have enough capital to try and get both a top tier quarterback, and bolster the defensive secondary while keeping the talent we've accrued in the trenches?

I don't know, but it's going to be an exciting ride!

Pretty good post but the play you refer to was 2nd down with about 1:30 left in the 1st qtr. DVR is a beautiful thang. Even if you were correct and would have been 3rd and long your 17-14 assumed we would not have made the 3rd down. We were 7-16 in 3rd downs. We made a 3rd and 15 and a 3rd and 13. We had 4 possessions of 10 or more plays. The Eagles best series lasted 6 plays. I can just as easily say it should have ended 24-7 because our normally reliable punter dropped the ball giving up an easy TD for you. Certainly the game stats would verify a 24-7 final more than a 17-14 final.
Either way, the game wasn't close.
Additionally, I hear no one mention that the TD to your #86 for your 2nd was aided by a PI called against KJ Wright.
The missed call on our #77 downfield was erased by the non call on your D Lineman for smacking Russell in the head. The announcers were both all over those 2 non calls.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with your point is that apart from the two ref-assisted drives, the Seattle Offense was not too effective either.

And no - despite what UH says - the Bradley PI was NOT a defensive PI. Even by Baldwin's own admission. Apart from the clear inconsistency of the officiating there. Baldwin runs into Fletcher, defensive PI. Celek gets leveled on 3rd down, clearly before the ball gets there, NO CALL.

Yes, Seattle was the better team, but if not for the officiating, they quite possibly would NOT have been able to actually make that count in the score.

As said before, if the Eagles had won the game, it would have been one they stole. The refs played a massive part to make sure they would not be able to do so.

Offensively we held the ball for over 42 minutes.
Seattle gained 448 total yards vs 139.
85 plays vs 45.
28 1st downs vs 9.
188 yards rushing vs 57.
252 passing yards vs 82.
Seattle had 3 sacks against your highly regarded OL, while your league leading sack masters could only manage 2 against our poorly rated, playing with back ups OL. Note that your boys had 42 minutes to sack our guy while we had only 18.
We were called 8 times for penalties. Eagle 4 times. If the refs assisted, it looks like they helped your team more than they helped Seattle.
On the PI call, we can agree to disagree. As much as Chip was crying all game long you can be assured he filed a complaint with the NFL Referee Association. The association will not overturn the call but they will issue a letter of apology and admit an error if the panel agrees that it was a mistaken call. You team media and FO will hear by the Friday if there was an error. Then you can slam that in our faces on our own board if you wish. If Eagle fans hear nothing by Friday, the plays stands as called.
These complaints happen often. We just were on the short end of a call 34 weeks ago...Pete Carroll: NFL admitted missed interference calls - NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ErkTheJerk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensively we held the ball for over 42 minutes.
Seattle gained 448 total yards vs 139.
85 plays vs 45.
28 1st downs vs 9.
188 yards rushing vs 57.
252 passing yards vs 82.

And if Jenkins hadn't dropped that easy pick-6, the Eagles would have been within 3 points with 6 minutes left--with momentum to make a run at a win. Hmmm...

:nod:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if Sherman wouldn't have dropped the pick 6 on the Eagles 1st play of the game at your 14 yard line...
Both sides can do LOTS of IF's. If our punter doesn't make an extremely rare drop, if your 2nd TD was not aided by a marginal PI call...on and on bro.
The tone of the entire game was illustrated in both of our 1st drives. Ours 10 plays 6:35, yours 3 plays :25.
Game over.

ErkTheJerk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sides can do LOTS of IF's.

Absolutely! Often can. Just sayin', with those lopsided stats, you would think it would have been a 40-0 score. Seahawks dominated and Wilson impressed. I haven't had much opportunity to see him play. Dude's excellent. Doesn't have a big arm, but he's a smart, talented QB!

Last edited by a moderator:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like the Eagles offense, my god some games are so boring but not the Eagles. I want to see Chip have a lot of success and get to the Superbowl so the rest of the league will pick up the pace a little bit and not be so boring. They just went up against a Seattle defense that is clicking on all cylinders and on top of their game. Lets hope they can maintain it thru the playoffs.
I fully expect the Eagles to take it out on Dallas and thump them again.