• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O.T. State the last movie you watched and rate it

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 players. Thanks!
Got a handful of boom or bust players though....Granderson, Grichuk, Yoenis, Pence....Better hope that Murphy's year wasn't a fluke...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a handful of boom or bust players though....Granderson, Grichuk, Yoenis, Pence....Better hope that Murphy's year wasn't a fluke...
I already traded Pence. I have Longoria on my team as well now. And, as a Phillies fan, I hope it was a fluke, but I don't think it will be. We will see

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rope: 4/5 stars. I have yet to see a performance from James Stewart that I dislike, even if he himself did not feel he was appropriate for the film given his age. However, the real star of the film was John Dall as the smooth-talking Brandon, who is obsessed with committing the perfect crime and getting away with it. The ending was a minor let-down, but the first hour was riveting. I would definitely recommend.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Great Debaters: 4/5 stars. Unlike, say, "Glory," this movie was not evenly enjoyable throughout. There were parts that dragged quite a bit, particularly the drama between Nate Parker's character and his girlfriend. But there were also parts that were fucking awesome. As good as Denzel Washington was, I think he was outshone by Forest Whitaker. The scene where Denzel and Whitaker go back and forth on Denzel's political beliefs was awesome, as was the part where Whitaker gets Denzel out of jail. The final debate against Harvard was fucking epic as well.

Overall, rating Denzel's turn as a director, I am most pleased that he did not fall into cliches nor play it safe. My biggest complaint with "Remember The Titans" (3/5 stars) is how cliched the movie was. They immediately face adversity, then overcome it, then a problem presents itself (the white guy getting into the car accident), and then they win the championship anyway (I think they won). Though "The Great Debaters" did have a similar ending, it was not riddled with showing the growing pains of the debate team. In avoiding this, and other cliches, Denzel Washington was able to deliver the goods- racial strife and inequality included.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm X: 2/5 stars. Certainly does not succeed as an autobiography of the man- too slow-moving, just bouncing from speech to speech. It's unrealized ideology could have revolved around Malcolm's tiredness of the Nation of Islam, or religion in general after Elijah Muhammed was outed as basically a hypocrite. That would have been more interesting, but I don't know that it would have been faithful to history. The only reason I think that is because at the very end, when Malcolm is about to get shot, it appears that he could have ducked, but he almost half-smiles and accepts getting shot and killed. That was pretty cool- like he was tired of living a lie in the name of religion and prejudice.

Note that I'm one of the more left-leaning guys on these boards, and I can say without doubt that Malcolm X was a racist. I'm not saying his history and legacy should be ignored, but it should be recognized for what it was rooted in- prejudice and hatred of whites. (Though, if the movie was historically accurate, he was not the violent person I've been told he was).

#TeamMLK

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. 5/5

The guy who played Freddie Mercury was Freddie Mercury and the other guys in Queen looked exactly like the original band.

Primarily is was the story of Freddie but iutwas really well done and the music was tremendous.

I saw it in a newly renovated theatre with a brand new sound system.

If your a Queen fan, you'll love it. Just don't go to an old theatre because it won't do the movie any justice at all. I've decided to go see it again but I'll get a better seat.....dead center.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. 5/5

The guy who played Freddie Mercury was Freddie Mercury and the other guys in Queen looked exactly like the original band.

Primarily is was the story of Freddie but iutwas really well done and the music was tremendous.

I saw it in a newly renovated theatre with a brand new sound system.

If your a Queen fan, you'll love it. Just don't go to an old theatre because it won't do the movie any justice at all. I've decided to go see it again but I'll get a better seat.....dead center.
Saw it last week. Agree great movie. It will be up for many awards.