• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No playoff according to coaches

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week? Jed...seriously, if they expand it, it will cost at least 2 weeks. They will milk the media coverage and advertisements just like the NFL does by stretching the playoffs and the super bowl...I am still waiting for good reasons to switch to a playoff :)

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week? Jed...seriously, if they expand it, it will cost at least 2 weeks. They will milk the media coverage and advertisements just like the NFL does by stretching the playoffs and the super bowl...I am still waiting for good reasons to switch to a playoff :)

I was talking about the basketball tournament teams missing a full week of school.

I am still trying to find the reasons why it would be a bad idea. :D

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, because it would take away from the importance of the reuglar season! If a playoff actually came into play, big conference teams would only schedule soft OOC games, why take the risk of getting a loss? Your goal is no longer to play your best EVERY weak against tough competition, but to keep your record clean long enough to make it into the top 4-8, then hopefully you play better than the other teams for a few games and win a title. Where the current system requires you to play better than every one for the entire season :)

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol, because it would take away from the importance of the reuglar season! If a playoff actually came into play, big conference teams would only schedule soft OOC games, why take the risk of getting a loss? Your goal is no longer to play your best EVERY weak against tough competition, but to keep your record clean long enough to make it into the top 4-8, then hopefully you play better than the other teams for a few games and win a title. Where the current system requires you to play better than every one for the entire season :)

if you are a good team- one loss won't end your season. there are plenty of teams now that have "weak" ooc schedules (i.e mizzou, ku, texas tech, michigan). there's no playoff right now and it could be argued that nu has a "weak" ooc schedule for the next few years.

teams are still going to want to be a top team (1-3) to have the better seeds so to play the perceived "weaker" teams. who knows. if 1-a goes to a playoff system the first round games may be at the homefield of the higher seed. talk about an advantage!

anyhow- the "regular season meaningless" argument is a media creation and a fave of the 4 letter network. they think a playoff would diminish the lesser bowls (which would probably stay in place).

the only thing stopping a playoff is the networks who think the playoffs won't offset any advertising losses for the lesser bowls. there is too much controversy with the bs....errrrrrr......bcs. time to crown the champion ON THE FIELD.

what are you negative naysayers afraid of? that one year a boise type might face a tcu type for the title? the 4 letter network's daddy wouldn't like that!!! bad for disney. great for football fans!!!!!!!!

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The post above me's argument is retarded, Esp.n is the main calling horn for a playoff, all the fuckers on there want one, they didn't invent anything about the regular season being meaningless... a playoff is an utterly ridiculous idea.

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The post above me's argument is retarded, Esp.n is the main calling horn for a playoff, all the fuckers on there want one, they didn't invent anything about the regular season being meaningless... a playoff is an utterly ridiculous idea.

not surprised you are against progress shades.

to everyone else- why do we go out of our way to watch the conference championship games, the d-1aa playoff and even the d-2 and d-3 playoffs? why did some of us watch the nfl europe championship? because the games mean something. one team can claim a true championship.
it must be fear thats keeping some of you from wanting a playoff. i.e. you are in fear that in '97 the wolverines might have upset the huskers (i say upset because i belong to that population group that believes the huskers were the better team). you enjoy the controversy.
and let's make something else crystal clear- if the ncaa and 4 letter network and it's daddy thought for a minute they could make more money off a playoff- it would be happening.
money talks and....you know the rest.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not surprised you are against progress shades.

to everyone else- why do we go out of our way to watch the conference championship games, the d-1aa playoff and even the d-2 and d-3 playoffs? why did some of us watch the nfl europe championship? because the games mean something. one team can claim a true championship.
it must be fear thats keeping some of you from wanting a playoff. i.e. you are in fear that in '97 the wolverines might have upset the huskers (i say upset because i belong to that population group that believes the huskers were the better team). you enjoy the controversy.
and let's make something else crystal clear- if the ncaa and 4 letter network and it's daddy thought for a minute they could make more money off a playoff- it would be happening.
money talks and....you know the rest.

You have proved the majority's point here.........no playoff leads up to a conference championship game, the season is the playoff.....and that game decides the true conference champion.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at the out of conference schedules across the country now. How good are they? Florida has not played a non conference game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. Nebraska's schedule is horrendous. Texas' best opponent next year is UCLA. Ohio St's best opponent is Miami. That stuff you complain about is already here. If you play in a real conference like the Big 12 and SEC then the regular season importance does not change!!!!!!!!!

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are actually quite a few 4 letter people that do not want the playoff.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no, that problem is not here. When Nebraska doesn't schedule a single div 1 school, then its here. When Florida no longer schedules Miami or Florida State, then it's here. When you see people not making any effort to put a team that might compete on the OOC schedule, then it's here. And that is what everyone will end up doing.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida will play Florida St every year no matter what. Georgia will play Georgia Tech every year no matter what. Iowa will play Iowa St every year no matter what. Notre Dame will play USC every year no matter what. Texas will play some piece of crap fellow Texas school every year no matter what. All of those in state or cross state rivalries will not go away.

There will not be one school in the country that will not schedule 1 D-1A team. First of all there are eligibility rules against it plus the fans will stop going, even at Nebraska, and the money would not come in like the schools need them to.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I break down el situation.....

If there is a playoff saving teams at the end of the season, suddenly not every single Saturday is as important as it was before. Say what you want, but the way it is now, most of the excitement in college football comes from the fact that you have to be damn near perfect every Saturday.

When I watch NFL games I know that the players know that they get freebies out there....it's just a plain and simple fact. It's the reason I like college football and don't like NFL near as much. Because on any given Saturday you might see kids crying in college football after a loss, because it means that much to them. We might laugh at them, but in reality they aren't just being babies.....it actually means that much to them.

Now we want to give them the benefit of being able to lose a game in November and still be right in the hunt? Talk about taking the fun out of it.....college football is the most intense sport ever because every weekend your team must be perfect.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1984 undefeated WAC team BYU beats (6-5) Michigan in the Holiday Bowl and wins the National Championship.
1992- Formation of the 'Bowl Coalition". Now allowing conference teams to be released from their normal bowl tie-ins and force a National Title game. Intended to prevent the 1984 fiasco and match up #1 vs #2. The PAC 10 and Big 10 coupled with their relationship with the Rose Bowl refused to join. The coalition made several unsuccessful attempts to get the Rose Bowl, Big Ten and Pac Ten to join.
In 1994 undefeated #2 Penn St (Big 10) played Oregon in the Rose Bowl while undefeated #1 Nebraska played Miami in the Orange Bowl.
Had the Rose Bowl, Big Ten, and Pac 10 joined the "Bowl Coalition" in 1992..Undefeated Penn St would have played undefeated Nebraska for the National Championship.
1995- The "Bowl Coalition" was changed to the "Bowl Alliance" however the Rose Bowl, Pac 10, and Big Ten still refused to join.
1997- Undefeated #1 Michigan played Washington St in the Rose Bowl while undefeated #2 Nebraska played Tennessee in the Orange Bowl.
Had the Rose Bowl, Big Ten, and Pac 10 joined the "Bowl Coalition" in 1994, undefeated #1 Penn St would have played #2 Nebraska for the National Title.
1998- Formation of the Bowl Championship Series now including the Rose Bowl, Pac 10 and Big 10.

As is clearly shown above, every scenario since 1992 was intended to match up #1 vs #2 so only a completely uninformed fucking hack would be using #1 Michigan and #2 Nebraska in the 1997 season as a legitimate reason for a play-off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep the current system and add a +1 (if necessary) and it would solve the Auburn, USC, Boise St type issues.

And to be clear espm has been lobbying louder than anyone for a play-off since the years Auburn and USC were left out.
However, I doubt they will be as vocal anymore as they now have exclusive rights to the current BCS system for the next few years.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As is clearly shown above, every scenario since 1992 was intended to match up #1 vs #2 so only a completely uninformed fucking hack would be using #1 Michigan and #2 Nebraska in the 1997 season as a legitimate reason for a play-off.

Intended is the key word there. The intent can't really be there if everyone is not involved in the intent.

A playoff in 1997 would have forced the Big 10 and Pac 10 to comply and could have ultimately matched up Nebraska and Michigan.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep the current system and add a +1 (if necessary) and it would solve the Auburn, USC, Boise St type issues.

And to be clear espm has been lobbying louder than anyone for a play-off since the years Auburn and USC were left out.
However, I doubt they will be as vocal anymore as they now have exclusive rights to the current BCS system for the next few years.

Oh thank you so much for "clearing it up". Except for the fact that not everyone at the 4 letter wants a playoff and I have heard pundits from all over the place, not just the 4 letter, shouting about needing a playoff.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I break down el situation.....

If there is a playoff saving teams at the end of the season, suddenly not every single Saturday is as important as it was before. Say what you want, but the way it is now, most of the excitement in college football comes from the fact that you have to be damn near perfect every Saturday.

When I watch NFL games I know that the players know that they get freebies out there....it's just a plain and simple fact. It's the reason I like college football and don't like NFL near as much. Because on any given Saturday you might see kids crying in college football after a loss, because it means that much to them. We might laugh at them, but in reality they aren't just being babies.....it actually means that much to them.

Now we want to give them the benefit of being able to lose a game in November and still be right in the hunt? Talk about taking the fun out of it.....college football is the most intense sport ever because every weekend your team must be perfect.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2w207qt.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intended is the key word there. The intent can't really be there if everyone is not involved in the intent.

A playoff in 1997 would have forced the Big 10 and Pac 10 to comply and could have ultimately matched up Nebraska and Michigan.

Did I not point out that the Rose Bowl, Pac 10 and Big 10 were not on board (involved) in 1997? I think I did at least twice.

Under the current BCS system #1 Michigan would have played #2 Nebraska in 1997. Fact!

Using 1997 as justification for a play-off is par with a chick saying put the toilet seat down so she doesn't fall in. So stop using 1997 as an example where you can use USC or Auburn to make a much better point.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh thank you so much for "clearing it up". Except for the fact that not everyone at the 4 letter wants a playoff and I have heard pundits from all over the place, not just the 4 letter, shouting about needing a playoff.

No, not anymore they don't. Because they now have exclusive rights to air the BCS games. I don't think you'll be hearing near as much play-off talk coming from them anymore.