• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Calipari, not Bo Ryan, elected to Hall of Fame, according to ESPN

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible that ESPN is wrong ever?

John Calipari, not Bo Ryan, elected to Hall of Fame, according to ESPN - SBNation.com

Looks like they took more games into account than just last night's

isconsin beat Kentucky in the Final Four on Saturday night, ending the Wildcats' pursuit of a perfect season and catapulting the Badgers to the national championship after avenging last year's Final Four loss. However, on Easter morning, it was John Calipari who gained the recognition of his fellow coaches, not Bo Ryan.

One head-to-head matchup does not determine whether this voting was legitimate, and Calipari has had some great teams in his career at UMass, Memphis and Kentucky. Moreover, finishing a season with a 38-1 record is an incredible accomplishment.

Still, this is kind of funny.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Follow

John Calipari will be elected into the Hall of Fame, sources told ESPN. Bo Ryan did not receive enough votes this year. Need 18/24 votes.

9:26 AM - 5 Apr 2015

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a numbers game. Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, and Billy Donovan will all get in soon(within next 5-6 years). Calipari has coached longer on the Division I level than any of those. I'm by no means a fan of John, but taking 3 different programs to the Final Four is very hard to do. He deserves to be in the HOF. I see Tom Izzo getting in next year. 6 Final Fours , 18 straight tournament appearances, and 1 title. That warrants election in 2016.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a numbers game. Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, and Billy Donovan will all get in soon(within next 5-6 years). Calipari has coached longer on the Division I level than any of those. I'm by no means a fan of John, but taking 3 different programs to the Final Four is very hard to do. He deserves to be in the HOF. I see Tom Izzo getting in next year. 6 Final Fours , 18 straight tournament appearances, and 1 title. That warrants election in 2016.

And he was stripped for two of those teams because he was playing with ineligible players. Memphis ended up being 0-40. Him getting elected to anything is a joke. He's a mediocre x's and o's guy who happened to figure out a gimmick to get the top talent.

Reactions: BUD

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They typically require 25 years as a Head Coach to be eligible. Izzo is only on 20, and Donovan is only at 21. I assume both will get in the year they get to 25.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising. Coach Cal is much, much more accomplished on the division 1 level than Bo is. Its really not close either.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't they be retired before they get in?

With that said, yes he should be in

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading the CBS Sports article on this and thought can we please stop citing how many times a player was an all-star when making their case to be in the HOF? We all know that the NBA all-star game is a joke and the balloting is a complete joke. For just one example - Kobe Bryant was not only an all-star this season, but the balloting made him a starter - nuff said!

"Long time veteran Tom Heinsen"? - he won 8 NBA titles (only Bill Russell and Sam Jones won more) as a player, and head coached the Celtics to two more. He was NBA rookie of the year, beating out Bill Russell for the honor. He was a 4 time all-NBA 2nd team, which by far trumps his 6-time all-star (tho it meant more then). To list Heinson so flippantly, while headlining Mutumbo, who never even led his team to an NBA finals appearance, shows that this writing doesn't do a very good job of doing his homework.

My beef here isn't with the Hall of Fame, as they are properly honoring both players, who are both very deserving - but rather with the writer, who frankly probably didn't even know Heinson had ever been anything other than a Celtics broadcaster. BTW, I'm a Blazer fan not a Celtic fan, tho I was a Celtic fan as a little kid during the Dave Cowens era, before shifting my loyalties to my local Sonics teams (Clay Bennett can burn in hell) in the mid-seventies (go Spencer Haywood, Freddy Brown and Slick Watts). It was my top-seeded Sonics team that the finger-wagging Mutumbo's eight seeded Nuggets knocked out in the first round of the 1994 playoffs - so I'm acutely aware of his abilities.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another thing, George Raveling. Made 6 NCAA Tournaments in 22 seasons, never advancing past the second round. .536 career winning percentage including a losing record at USC where he proceeded to run off Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. How exactly is this worthy of the Hall of Fame?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know Bo Ryan has been apart of zero ncaa investigations, while Calipari may have more wins, but also has Marcus Camby attached to his legacy, Memphis and now probably 50% of the kentucky players he's recruited over his time there.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he was stripped for two of those teams because he was playing with ineligible players. Memphis ended up being 0-40. Him getting elected to anything is a joke. He's a mediocre x's and o's guy who happened to figure out a gimmick to get the top talent.

Exactly!!! This is what does't make sense. How can they ignore this guy's super shady past.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find coach Cal amazing that he can go into Blue Chip African American homes and convince an African American blue chip kid to come and play in Rupp arena named after a coach who was an avowed racist who did not want any African American players during his time. Too bad John Chaney did not get to kick Coach Cal's butt when he had the chance.