• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No more balloons?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw on the news that students will be voting on whether or not to continue the tradition of releasing balloons during football games.

Cuz litter en sech.

Other peoples kids.....

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even drug mules are switching to huffing reusable bags up they ass smh...
@HuskerPower52

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latex balloons are also a choking hazard.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm kinda indifferent on the balloons. it's a neat tradition, but don't care that much about it.

as far as environmental concerns. eh, i understand where people are coming from, but you also aren't talking about blanketing the area with balloons. it's what like 10-20 thousand balloons for like 8-9 home games. Spread that with wind and such, it's maybe like 1 per square mile or something? it's a little concerning when an animal eats one and that kills the animal, but the reports of that get overblown, when 1 animal dies out of millions, it's really not that big of a deal. i don't hear people going ballistic over the drugs they take that have the same chance of death. also, according to reports, it can take one of these balloons anywhere from 6 months to 4 years to breakdown, the high end of 4 years isn't great, but the 6 month timeline isn't all that different from leaves which take 6-12 months. i don't hear people complaining about leaves.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm kinda indifferent on the balloons. it's a neat tradition, but don't care that much about it.

as far as environmental concerns. eh, i understand where people are coming from, but you also aren't talking about blanketing the area with balloons. it's what like 10-20 thousand balloons for like 8-9 home games. Spread that with wind and such, it's maybe like 1 per square mile or something? it's a little concerning when an animal eats one and that kills the animal, but the reports of that get overblown, when 1 animal dies out of millions, it's really not that big of a deal. i don't hear people going ballistic over the drugs they take that have the same chance of death. also, according to reports, it can take one of these balloons anywhere from 6 months to 4 years to breakdown, the high end of 4 years isn't great, but the 6 month timeline isn't all that different from leaves which take 6-12 months. i don't hear people complaining about leaves.

I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over balloons either. Balloons don't win games.

"6 months to 4 years to breakdown" is a BIG window. One would think with the amount of money dumped into environmental science they could come up with a narrower window than that. If it is 4 years then I could get on-board, but if it's only 8 months then not so much. My understanding was they changed to a more bio-degradable balloon a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

I can agree with getting rid of balloon releases in states that are on the ocean due to sea life (especially turtles) mistaking them for jellyfish which is a food source. However, what animal across the Plains is going to mistake a balloon for food?
Can an environmentalist cite an example (story or photos) of an animal across the Plains choking on a balloon?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time Nebraska scored there wasn't enough helium in the balloons to go into the air so they just fell onto the ground. It's out of respect for those who have to clean up the mess.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not gonna get my panties in a wad over balloons either. Balloons don't win games.

"6 months to 4 years to breakdown" is a BIG window. One would think with the amount of money dumped into environmental science they could come up with a narrower window than that. If it is 4 years then I could get on-board, but if it's only 8 months then not so much. My understanding was they changed to a more bio-degradable balloon a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

I can agree with getting rid of balloon releases in states that are on the ocean due to sea life (especially turtles) mistaking them for jellyfish which is a food source. However, what animal across the Plains is going to mistake a balloon for food?
Can an environmentalist cite an example (story or photos) of an animal across the Plains choking on a balloon?
the switched to the all natural latex which are bio-degradable and that's where i made sure i got the numbers correct on the 6 months to 4 years as i thought it was a pretty big window too. it just depends on where and how they land as different conditions impact the decomposition.

yea, the bird impact does seem to mostly be sea birds and as you said not a lot around. most animals near us don't mistake them for food. I did a quick search and it did say that someone had found a nebraska balloon as far as the Atlantic ocean, but i'm guessing that is a very rare occurrence.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living on the ocean we don't see as many as the fish mistake them for squid.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time Nebraska scored there wasn't enough helium in the balloons to go into the air so they just fell onto the ground. It's out of respect for those who have to clean up the mess.
Yeah um Nebraska #25 ranked offense last year
Oregon #41
Thanks for walking us through that tho

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a shit if they keep the balloons or not. Win and nobody will care.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh hi

Trophy_Case.jpg