• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Bowl-Advantage or not

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just signed two of our best recruits of the year. Meanwhile many coaches are working on bowl preparations while Gibby and Seider are meeting with recruits and parents.

I think we get an advantage in recruiting that we would not get if we were getting ready for the Pinstripe or some other meaningless bowl.

What do you guys think is better. The extra practices for bowl season can help the underclassmen get better, but if we end up getting better players, it is a win situation.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS year, I think its actually a blessing. Normally you want the extra practices for the young guys but our young guys have had about as much experience as you could want already on the field so..
As far as advantages, yes I think it is and I think the extra week at the end of the season after ISU when OSU/OU Texas/Baylor were getting ready to play will help as well.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think winning breeds good recruiting, but good recruiters can overcome a bad season. I think the WVU staff is selling their vision of WVU to these guys and they are buying in. To me that tells me a couple of things, the staff is behind their HC and even though it was a tough season DH has not given to defeat has the passion to make WVU the program we all want. A lot of recruiting is selling yourself and obviously these guys still have the fortitude to do that.

I have said since the Kansas game that no bowl might be good for this team, program , and fans. A little bit of time to step away from the game and get re-energized. Let's face it I would be labeled a homer, but I will take that over anything alot of the media and fans that have bashed our program over the last two years. I was at the OK ST game and minutes after we won I still heard the color of his shirt arguement. We all need to just step back take a deep breath and get behind this team. Love him or hate him you cannot deny the fact his is filling a lot of holes on this roster in just three years of recruiting. Sure it would be nice to be winning NC while we do it, but that just is not a reality.

And he has a responsibly now as well, he needs to coach these guys up....I think he is a better coach than most people think and I think this being the first real offseason where we have guys who are going to play already on campus it is going to show next year...less headset throwing and more touchdown scoring.

LET'S GO!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love him or hate him you cannot deny the fact his is filling a lot of holes on this roster in just three years of recruiting.

LET'S GO!!!!
Great point, looking at last years team two glaring needs on this steam are QB, Safety/DB, and OLine. Literally tons of OLine guys have committed, he got another QB (a playmaker type) in this class when it looked like Crest would be it at the beginning of the year to help sooner rather than later and now Henry to go with our guys that redshirted this year in the DB spots... He is addressing the problem areas as far as recruiting goes.

Wait...did I just sound optimistic there?:yahoo:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let not our optimism breed contempt this past season is giving edge to our darn fine recruiters early entry to talent agree with posts

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can flip a coin IMO and both sides be right when arguing which is more important the right coach or the right recruit. One thing I know for sure after years and years of playing, coaching and watching this game, TALENT makes up for a lot of coaching ills. You must have the right coach to win big I agree 100% but even the bad ones look at least decent when they have talent to work with.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has WVU REALLY fallen this far, this quick, that "fans" are so eat up with Luck that they are saying it's good to NOT go to a bowl??? That it is BETTER for THIS team to NOT have those extra practices???? FUCKING PATHETIC!!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has WVU REALLY fallen this far, this quick, that "fans" are so eat up with Luck that they are saying it's good to NOT go to a bowl??? That it is BETTER for THIS team to NOT have those extra practices???? FUCKING PATHETIC!!!!!

Well, would you want to see last years team play again?:lol:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you hittin the sauce dad

No, Jim, just stating facts. 23 months removed from destroying a top team in the Orange bowl, some of these rocket scientists saying it is good to NOT go to a bowl is ridiculous!!!:wtf2:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you hittin the sauce dad

No way that would mean he has something in common with DH and that hollier than now fan can't have that....:suds::laugh3::laugh3:

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not good to miss a bowl recruiting wise but I dont expect the mountaineers to miss next year. What is in state recruiting like in WV it sucks in Nebraska with only a handful of recruits per year from in state

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can flip a coin IMO and both sides be right when arguing which is more important the right coach or the right recruit. One thing I know for sure after years and years of playing, coaching and watching this game, TALENT makes up for a lot of coaching ills. You must have the right coach to win big I agree 100% but even the bad ones look at least decent when they have talent to work with.

Gold, a good coach can win with marginal talent with good teaching of fundamentals, a good strength program, scheming to your strengths, etc. look at Urban Meyer, he has won everywhere he went no matter the kids on the field, AND from day one. Dantonio went to Cinci and won, before going to MSU and winning. The Old Ball coach, love him or hate him won everywhere, and took USCe, a perennial bottom feeder to new heights, even when losing, you saw progress. Look right here at WVU, Cignetti had talent on the field but could not win, Nehlen took his players to 6-6, 9-3, then went West and shocked the world. Fraud had that one 3-8 record teaching his system, but you could see the team improving each week, then BOOM, 9-3 the next year. Good coaches WIN, they form a team around their personal strengths, they dont just say "Im not the one who missed the tackles" they teach how to tackle and demand excellence. Look at some of these vagabond coaches, the Mike Leaches, the Petrinos, Sabans, ETC, they win wherever they go, with whatever players they have, and even in less than great years you can see improvement!!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Jim, just stating facts. 23 months removed from destroying a top team in the Orange bowl, some of these rocket scientists saying it is good to NOT go to a bowl is ridiculous!!!:wtf2:

well maybe for the redshirt guys the extra practices would help, I agree there, the rest need the time off to heal and start hitting the S&C program harder. We prob caught a break financially because we likely lose money on any bowl game last years team would have been part of. We stand to make some money off of the back of OU and Baylors BCS game now. Is it great? of course not, we demand better but there are a few positives.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not good to miss a bowl recruiting wise but I dont expect the mountaineers to miss next year. What is in state recruiting like in WV it sucks in Nebraska with only a handful of recruits per year from in state
Its worse in WV we would kill for a handful of D1 recruits every year here, in a good year we might get 3

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its worse in WV we would kill for a handful of D1 recruits every year here, in a good year we might get 3

What REALLY hurts is when OSU or sPitt swoop in and get the really good ones!!!!!!! It has happened quite a few times!

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

same here, we lean heavily on Texas and Ohio recruits and have a walk on program to develop in state kids

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We prob caught a break financially because we likely lose money on any bowl game last years team would have been part of. We stand to make some money off of the back of OU and Baylors BCS game now.

THAT is Luck thinking right there!!!!! Hell with rivals, hell with wins, just show me the money.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here, we lean heavily on Texas and Ohio recruits and have a walk on program to develop in state kids

We USED to have a damned fine walk on program, but this coach dismantled it.