• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newbies escaping from CBS post

Duffy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone feel like reviving SOTG over here?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOTG might not work without everyone who wants to participate but doesn't know about it. All the same, I'd be willing to participate.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think SOTG would go big among Reds fans...I just don't have time to keep score. Where's TLakes when you need him ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and as chronic Dusty basher, I'll just say this...by now, everyone including his boss should know what to expect from him, so it's not Dusty's fault anymore-it's the Reds. If you know a manhole is there, you have to find a route around it, or not blame anyone but yourself for falling in it.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only I ever read from Hal that I agreed with is when he said "The reds could go 162-0, and fans would say they did it in spite of Dusty".

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds walk (and should walk) a "Company Line" on protecting the image of their own. It's treason otherwise... I wish I could say the same about Hal McCoy- who I'll never forgive for his treason of fanning the Brandon Phillips Cardinals, supposedly off-the-record statement "fart" into a "forest fire" that resulted in the Reds-Cards fight, risking injury or worse on everyone but McCoy himself, just to get a headline...

People outside the Reds employ are naturally politically cautious, but aren't opposed to speaking the truth about Dusty frequently fumbling at fundamentals, and I'm referring to baseball people, not naïve chaps in a chat room. I don't think it's treason for FANS to want the best possible team, however. Dusty is an easygoing, likable guy, probably more dependent on people recognizing THAT to stay employed, than a less affable manager usually at the top of his managerial game.

Aren't there great baseball tacticians that can win while still keeping good chemistry ? Maybe they are all retired or currently employed. We could (and have) done worse than Dusty Baker...but one day, I hope we can do better, too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my lifetime, the Reds have had dozens of managers and the two I most admire were Fred Hutchinson and, naturally, Sparky. Hutch got more mileage out of a good baseball team than a lot of great managers ever got out of great baseball teams.

But looking at the current Reds, this is the best team they've fielded since 1995, under one of the most underrated managers -- Davey Johnson.

As current MLB managers go, all of them look good when they make a move that turns into gold. The guy who will live on the edge for awhile is Mike Redmond, who got lucky enough to have a piss-poor, pissed-off, pissed-on Miami team.

Gotta wonder how long Sciocia keeps his job in Anaheimales.

redlegs@hokies

Trout Fishing Aficionado
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to have a slew of new reds fans over here. Welcome! :yo:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know, everyone that has ever played or coached or managed above a rec league thinks they know the answers...I fit that description too.

You gotta have talent. No manager can win without it. It's what they do WITH talent that separates them. Not all managers can be flexible enough to win with different TYPES of talent. The best managers can and will beat you in any one of several ways. Any fool can win if his team hits 4 HR every game.

I never played on any team resembling the Big Red Machine, but in HS, college, and low minors, there were a few common denominators in all good top dogs I saw- they set a very high standard, and demanded players work hard every day to be as technically proficient in their job, as they were in theirs...and they were all TIRELESS fundamentals perfectionists...they were PREPARED thinkers and forced players to be also. Although they pushed everyone, they also acknowledged improvement, and NEVER suggested anyone but themselves (manager) was EVER responsible for a loss. They don't let players get too high, or too low. They rip players azz either as a team, or behind closed doors for a private one on one. They captured the confidence of the players FIRST, then made them confident in themselves because the tough son of a bitch finally had confidence in them. They all take little credit, but all the blame.

I want the Reds to have one of those.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a CBS castaway as well. A few usernames look familiar. Good to see some of you again. CBS nuking the message board was a bit inconvenient but whatever.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS obviously has other plans for its sports website. Message boards weren't making them any money. I don't know how many other fan bases have bolted and to where. I'd assume some of them show up here on SH.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever taken a look at all the posts on the old CBS site ? There were tens of thousands-maybe more. There have to be a LOT of ticked off people...many I'd say, were paying customers of some kind through the CBS venue. I played premium CBS fantasy leagues there for 10-12 years- and every "improvement" they made, gave less to the customer while costing them more. I probably won't go back next year. It's not that uncommon business practice now to hose the customer, with products they think they have solid market share on, but it never helps to aid your competition by running customers to them. They may learn something from this, although they may crash before they do. Some things can't be repaired good as new.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Online connections is about as cheap is it gets for overhead.
Well, there are lots of corporations that got run into the ground by a CEO and his "management" team that focused on the grunt instead of the pork chop.

Duffy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't post much in CBS the last few years (been there since 2008 though) but I had been lurking very consistently. I can only hope more of the consistent posters make it over.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many will find us here. Maybe the trolls will get lost...if so, it was worth it.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys looks like I found some of the escaped CBS posters here, good to see I found you guys, I thought I'd never talk to you again.

As far as the SOTG goes, I don't have the exact standings even wrote down or anything, but I think it would kind of be cool to get it going again if we can explain it to the guys that were already here. If we did it we could just blow it up and start from scratch again.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see you found a floatie and made it to shore after the CBS shipwreck. I put an APB on the remnants of the old Reds "discussion" board for you. I think it's a great SOTG idea I'm sure will go over here.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see you found a floatie and made it to shore after the CBS shipwreck. I put an APB on the remnants of the old Reds "discussion" board for you. I think it's a great SOTG idea I'm sure will go over here.

Maybe I'm dumb but what does APB mean? If you guys want we can post a thread and explain it to everyone and start it up tomorrow. Like I said I don't have the standings but we can just start fresh if that's ok with you guys and the users that were here already.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably as well to start over from the top of the 1st. Nobody had more than 2 points anyway.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
APB ... cop talk for all points bulletin. (or should I say, old time cop talk)