• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: New York Mets @ Oakland Athletics (8/19-20)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST PITCH:
Their anemic hitting already has reached historic levels. And things get no easier for the Mets as they shift coasts to California.

The Mets are due to face All-Stars Scott Kazmir on Tuesday and Jeff Samardzija on Wednesday in Oakland. After a day off, the Amazin’s then draw expected NL Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw to open a weekend series at Dodger Stadium, followed by Dan Haren and Kevin Correia.

“We know going into Oakland and L.A., obviously we’re going to face good pitching,” David Wright said.

The Mets have now failed to exceed four hits in any of their past five games -- a franchise record. The last major league team to have a streak that long was the 2002 Mets.

If that streak continues against Kazmir and the A’s on Tuesday, the Mets will become the first MLB team since 1900 to have a single-season streak of six games producing four hits or fewer in each, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Also on the negative front: Despite splitting a four-game wraparound series with the Chicago Cubs, the Mets produced a total of 16 hits. That’s the fewest hits by a team in a four-game series in MLB since May 2-5, 2008, when the Chicago White Sox also mustered 16 hits against the Toronto Blue Jays.

“There’s no easy answers,” Terry Collins said. “It’s not the workload. These guys are working. As a matter of fact, at this time of year maybe they’re swinging too much.”

Dillon Gee (4-5, 3.69 ERA) opposes Kazmir (13-5, 2.78) at 10:05 p.m. ET.

Collins implied that Daniel Murphy is due for a day off in Oakland. That would seem more likely to occur against the southpaw Kazmir. Murphy is 3-for-6 with a homer in his career against Samardzija, the ex-Cub.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's will be ticked off after being swept by the Braves in Atl. and looking to take out their frustrations on the Metsies.

This short series might get ugly in a hurry for us.
But I'm still going to tomorrow's day game.

Yikes!!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/19 -- Tuesday night lineups for the Mets & A's at 10:05pm eastern -- 7:05pm pacific in Oakland.

i

Juan Lagares, cf
Curtis Granderson, rf
David Wright, 3b
Lucas Duda, 1b
Travis d'Arnaud, dh
Eric Campbell, lf
Wilmer Flores, 2b
Ruben Tejada, ss
Anthony Recker, c

Dillon Gee, rhp

i

Coco Crisp, cf
John Jaso, dh
Josh Donaldson, 3b
Brandon Moss, lf
Stephen Vogt, 1b
Derek Norris, c
Josh Reddick, rf
Alberto Callaspo, 2b
Eric Sogard, ss

Scott Kazmir, lhp

I like that Grandy is not batting lead off, but Wright still hitting in the 3 spot is silly.
Murphy is getting a must needed rest and should be back in the lineup tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to one of these games Yoga?

Yes...I have tix for today's matinee game...and the weather across the bay is going to be a lot nicer than here.
I thought about shining it on, but I really want to see Wheeler pitch, and hopefully they'll get the win...because from here they go to LA, where it won't be any easier. So...LGM!!!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST PITCH: Seven hits! :clap:

The Mets’ string of games producing four hits or fewer ended at five straight on Tuesday -- tied for the longest streak in the majors since 1900. :L

The Amazin’s streak of facing aces will continue.

Zack Wheeler (8-8, 3.49 ERA) opposes former Chicago Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija (5-9, 2.96) in the finale of an abbreviated series in Oakland at 3:35 p.m. ET Wednesday.

* Wheeler is 5-0 with a 2.02 ERA in his past nine starts.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday's lineups:

Kirk Nieuwenhuis (neck) is in the lineup, while Juan Lagares rests.

Mets
Curtis Granderson, dh
Daniel Murphy, 2b
David Wright, 3b
Lucas Duda, 1b
Travis d'Arnaud, c
Matt den Dekker, cf
Wilmer Flores, ss
Nieuwenhuis, rf
Eric Young Jr., lf

Zack Wheeler, rhp

Athletics
Coco Crisp, dh
John Jaso, c
Stephen Vogt, 1b
Brandon Moss, lf
Josh Reddick, rf
Alberto Callaspo, 3b
Sam Fuld, cf
Andy Parrino, ss
Eric Sogard, 2b

Jeff Samardzija, rhp

TC puts Grandy back in the leadoff spot.....and also sits Tejada who is 5 for 9 lifetime against Samardzija.

:lol:

I'm heading to the BART station now....I'll be at the stadium in about 45 min.
Hope Wheeler brings it today, and the offense better show up....or it's gonna be a laughable afternoon.

LGM!!!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was great to see the Mets bats TCOB up close & live today....but the defense of Murphy & Duda had me doing facepalms a few times...that needs to improve. Wheeler looked good but was victimized again by a high pitch count. Thank goodness for Josh Edgin & Vic Black out of the bullpen. A decent sized crowd for a midweek day game, and there were a fair amount of Mets fans scattered throughout the ballpark on this nice warm sunny day in the east bay. Hope they can somehow keep it going this weekend down in LaLa land.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=340820111