• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New England Beer

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off to Boston next week. I've been told that the locals don't drink Sam Adams.

What should I drink? And any Boston pubs to recommend?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston? You have my sympathy! :suds:

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
These recommendations aren't specific to Boston, but as someone living in the north east...

If you're into Belgium style beer I'd recommend Allagash White.

Maine Beer Company is highly recommended if you don't mind the price.

PA has some good beer. Troegs makes a great Pale Ale and IPA. Their Nugget Nectar is a personal favorite but it's limited to a winter release. In a few years I think Victory will be the next craft beer that blows up nationally. Their Pale Ale and Prima Pils are beers I buy regularly.

-

HUBSTER

I don't re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Boston Beer Works right across the street from Fenway Park.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's from Maine, not Boston, but I'm partial to the Geary's line. Also Harpoon is local, but you might have already had that out west.

And don't be scared off from ordering a Sam Adams if that's the most appealing thing on the menu. Drink what ya like.

My favorite new england beer was this brewer from Vermont called Catamount, but they went belly-up a while ago. Harpoon bought their name, but they didn't exactly bring back their brews. I think they just wanted the trademark and their equipment. Their Porter was the absolute best one I have ever had...excuse me, I need a moment...

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's from Maine, not Boston, but I'm partial to the Geary's line. Also Harpoon is local, but you might have already had that out west.

And don't be scared off from ordering a Sam Adams if that's the most appealing thing on the menu. Drink what ya like.

My favorite new england beer was this brewer from Vermont called Catamount, but they went belly-up a while ago. Harpoon bought their name, but they didn't exactly bring back their brews. I think they just wanted the trademark and their equipment. Their Porter was the absolute best one I have ever had...excuse me, I need a moment...

hey hu did your change your credit card #. my therapist in ktown says it's declined...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off to Boston next week. I've been told that the locals don't drink Sam Adams.

What should I drink? And any Boston pubs to recommend?

Well, the locals drink Sam Adams because it is good.... If you are looking for a more local creaft beer, then there are a ton of options... Like many big college towns, there are a ton of pubs with numerous taps..... A quick google search led me to this list. I've been to a few of theses and they do serve good libations:

1. The Publick House
http://0.tqn.com/d/boston/1/0/P/0/-/-/publick.jpg
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create...-/-/publick.jpg&description=The Publick House
Photo by Eric Wilbur
They pay attention to detail at this Brookline pub, always sure to serve your beer in the proper glass, at the proper temperature. It’s this sort of service that has made The Publick House a frequent destination for Boston beer lovers. The staff will even suggest the perfect pairing for their lobster macaroni and cheese dinner.
Address: 1648 Beacon St., Brookline
Phone: 617-277-2880

2. Sunset Grill
The 112 beers on tap don’t even begin to complete the drink menu at this Allston hotspot. Hundreds more options are available via bottle, making this a beer snob heaven. To put the selection into some perspective, you could frequent the Sunset Grill every day, and have a different beer each day for almost two years.
Address: 130 Brighton Ave., Allston
Phone: 617-254-1331

3. Deep Ellum
Not even three years old yet, this Allston bar has quickly become a popular destination on the Boston bar scene. Located just blocks from the Sunset Grill, the beer selection isn’t as extensive, but it is as varied. Yet Deep Ellum goes one step further with a drink menu on compare with some of the city’s cocktail kings. It’s not all about the beer here, and that’s OK.
Address: 477 Cambridge St., Allston
Phone: 617-787-2337

4. Boston Beer Works
http://0.tqn.com/d/boston/1/0/Y/0/-/-/beerworks.jpg
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create...-/beerworks.jpg&description=Boston Beer Works
Photo by Eric Wilbur
Whether it’s the Celtics, Bruins, or Red Sox, this Boston favorite - with two locations, one directly across the street from Fenway Park, the other just steps from the TD Garden - is a pre-game destination for sports fans. The Bunker Hill Blueberry Ale (including real blueberries) is always a popular favorite, but my personal favorites are the Back Bay IPA and the Buckeye Oatmeal Stout. You really can’t go wrong.
Address: 61 Brookline Ave.
Phone: 617-536-2337
Address: 110 Canal St.
Phone: 617-896-2337

5. Cambridge Common
At the Cambridge Common, you’ll find 30 taps, a good number featuring New England microbrews. The comfortable Cambridge tavern also features a menu that Improper Bostonian Magazine dubbed as the best bar food in Boston. In fact a quarter-pound burger will run you all of $4.95. That leaves plenty in your wallet for the fried pickles appetizer.
Address: 1667 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge
Phone: 617-547-1228

6. Bukowski’s
Named after famous writer Charles Bukowski, this Back Bay establishment (with another location in Cambridge’s Inman Square) is tucked off of Boylston St., almost anonymous next door to a parking garage. But Bukowski’s rotating selection of drafts packs beer lovers into its tiny quarters most every weekend. Drafts can get a bit pricey here, but there’s always the option of the Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap. Trust us, it’s ice cold.
Address: 50 Dalton St.
Phone: 617-437-9999

7. Cambridge Brewing Company
The selection of original craft brews here is limited compared to some other local breweries, but what the CBC lacks in selection, they make up for in quality. The food is good too, but don’t expect a cozy atmosphere. Perhaps the only complaint here is that you’ll feel like you’re hanging out in a hotel lobby instead of one of the area’s best beer bars.
Address: 1 Kendall Sq # 100, Cambridge
Phone: 617-494-1994

8. Lower Depths
http://0.tqn.com/d/boston/1/0/U/-/-/-/depths.jpg
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create...F/U/-/-/-/depths.jpg&description=Lower Depths
Photo by Eric Wilbur
It’s a true beer bar when the number of selections on tap is almost as many as the number of seats in the building. This Kenmore Square bar features a fine selection of draft beers from across America, including some you’re not apt to find at many other craft brew establishments. A great pre or post-game stop when heading to Fenway Park.
Address: 476 Commonwealth Ave. # 1
Phone: 617-266-6662

9. Redbone’s
Folks will get red in the face arguing whether or not the barbecue at this Davis Square restaurant is overrated. You won’t get any such arguments about the beer selection, which can get so daunting that Redbone’s features a wheel to help sort it all out. Can’t decide? Let the bartender give it a spin. What it lands on, you’ll be drinking in mere moments.
Address: 55 Chester St., Somerville
Phone: 617-628-2200

10. John Harvard’s Brew House
All the beer at this Harvard Square establishment (another located in Framingham) is brewed in-house. About a half-dozen selections will be available at any given time, but the favorites here are the Nut Brown Ale and the Old Willy Pale Ale, a beer bursting with extra hops.
Address: 33 Dunster St, Cambridge
Phone: 617-868-3585

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey hu did your change your credit card #. my therapist in ktown says it's declined...

It's overdrawn, jackass!

Yeah, and you knew it was, too...I've already gotten the statement. Did you REALLY need to stream that much ghey pron?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fell in love with Harpoon IPA in Boston. Drank nothing else. Trying to find it in Northern California.

Thankfully, I have a lot of great west coast IPAs to choose from…but man, that beer was delicious and smooth.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fell in love with Harpoon IPA in Boston. Drank nothing else. Trying to find it in Northern California.

Thankfully, I have a lot of great west coast IPAs to choose from…but man, that beer was delicious and smooth.

Good choice. Very popular.

Their stout is not bad either...

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you found a beer that you like. Think I would have been more adventuresome and tried ... oh... 10-15 different local beers while in a city with breweries, call me odd.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you found a beer that you like. Think I would have been more adventuresome and tried ... oh... 10-15 different local beers while in a city with breweries, call me odd.

Good to be odd.

Unfortunately, I was there for such a short time. Every pub I found myself in, Harpoon was the best choice.