• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Neil speaks. Marte, Alvarez, Taillon, Cole, Hanrahan trade, more

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This from a Red Sox fan who decided to take up the Pirates for a season.
soxdetox

After the “Going to Bat for Vermont Farmers” program was over, I had the opportunity to ask Neal Huntington some questions. Here are some notables..

When asked if Hanrahan might be traded given the ridiculous Papelbon contract, Huntington replied with the standard ‘I’ve been told to consider everything’ statement. He clarified a bit by saying that if the market holds, if Madson signs a contract a little less than Papelbon’s, a Hanrahan trade might be more do-able/attractive.
The Rod Barajas signing was as much for veteran presence as on-field performance. Huntington spoke to the fragmentation of the team down the stretch last year. With all the injuries, the AAA players seemed to be focused more on not getting sent back down than winning games. Huntington described this as a normal response to being called up, but when so much of your team is in this place it’s a recipe for disaster. The Pirates need a couple solid players that have been around the block.
That said, he’s looking for more leadership from Neil Walker.
Huntington noted that he doesn’t want to place too much on any one player, but the key to next year’s success lies squarely on Pedro Alvarez- his performance specifically, or the quality of the contingency plan should he underperform again.
Starling Marte’s skills deviate from Andrew McCutchens is a couple important ways. McCutchen had more power at the same age. Marte’s defense is better than McCutchen’s- right now. Marte struggles with plate discipline which could slow things as he moves through the system. Marte’s ETA is 2013 but that could be reasonably delayed by some anticipated struggles with AAA pitching. Huntington described the 34-year old pitcher with the 81 mph slider on the edge as a tough next step for Marte. When asked about McCutchen moving to a corner to accommodate Marte’s call-up, Huntington laughed and suggested that “you tell him that.”
In a follow-up to the question about Marte’s ETA, Huntington said that Gerrit Cole is “another story”, implying that he may come up earlier. Earlier than 2013 is 2012. Hmm… He said Cole was trying to throw “147***8243; at the Rising Stars game.
In terms of pitcher development, Huntington said they look to prepare guys for “Major League success not, single-A success.” The example he gave was Jameson Taillon. He doesn’t want Taillon striking out a bunch of kids on breaking stuff. He’d rather Taillon work on fastball control rather than making unpolished hitters look bad.
There are four guys in the system that hit 100 mph on the gun.
When asked if the Pirates were in play for Yoenis Cespedes, Huntington simply replied with, “no.”

Overall, Huntington exuded confidence in the farm system and uncertainty about the 2012 season. He clearly has a specific plan that centers on amateur talent and player development. That may sound obvious, but the money invested and the recent results add some encouraging weight to the case that the team is moving in the right direction.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For what it's worth - if Hanrahan could land a real Shortstop, Catcher, or power hitter I would trade him. I'm confident that Meek's return will help and I think most of the 'starters' in AAA last year are actually bullpen candidates anyways.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth - if Hanrahan could land a real Shortstop, Catcher, or power hitter I would trade him. I'm confident that Meek's return will help and I think most of the 'starters' in AAA last year are actually bullpen candidates anyways.

I agree with that. I would hate to see the Hammer go, but if a team overpays for him with a piece we need right now, it's worth a shot. Bullpens are easy to build (relatively speaking) through free agency and failed starting pitching prospects who could have success as relievers. Quality short stops, catchers, and power hitters are hard to come by on tiny budgets, though.

On another note, it would be pretty wild if Cole debuted next year. If he debuts and performs, it would be a big shot in the arm for this team.

Also, interesting comment on the way the call-ups played. They certainly didn't look good, but I just assumed it was because they weren't very good... :L

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was looking through the Boston system.

Jose Iglesias is supposed to be a superstar SS defensively but he's got a very weak bat. If you want to improve the performance of our starting pitching this would be one way to go about it. If we moved now then maybe Boston could be talked into how much better off they'd be with Rollins or Reyes? (meaning - they sign one of those two and trade Iglesias to us)

Add a guy like Josh Reddick (major-league ready corner OF with some upside) and see if they bite.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rod Barajas signing was as much for veteran presence as on-field performance. Huntington spoke to the fragmentation of the team down the stretch last year. With all the injuries, the AAA players seemed to be focused more on not getting sent back down than winning games. Huntington described this as a normal response to being called up, but when so much of your team is in this place it’s a recipe for disaster. The Pirates need a couple solid players that have been around the block.

By far the most interesting thing I took away from that article, which was very good, btw.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely agree as well, if they could get two youngish guys with decent upside (MLB regular or higher), I'd be willing to make the deal.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would very much be in favor of moving Hammer for the Right Return to help the Bucs as well. However, I'm wondering if Meek's drop in velocity when he came back to the team from his injury, is a concern to anyone? In regards, to Meek's ability to take over as the primary closer, if we trade the Hammer.

Burgh.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would very much be in favor of moving Hammer for the Right Return to help the Bucs as well. However, I'm wondering if Meek's drop in velocity when he came back to the team from his injury, is a concern to anyone? In regards, to Meek's ability to take over as the primary closer, if we trade the Hammer.

Burgh.

I'm in the "I don't see why closers are so much more valuable than any other relief pitcher camp." So my opinion would probably be biased, but I don't see why Chris Resop can't close if Meek is hurt and Hanny is traded. Mike Williams was a closer for years, so that leaves pretty much any decent bullpen pitcher up to the task, IMO.

Or maybe we could go to the dreaded "closer by committee."

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks much for sharing that stuff, Illinest.

I agree with the notion of trading Hanrahan for a position player or two..... IF we can get someone who can be an above average major leaguer. It's easier to find relief pitchers (even closers) than it is to find above average major league shortstops or corner infielders. Hanrahan is the only other player (other than Cutch) who gives NH a good chance to trade for real help.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll keep throwing this out there till it happens, but Jed Lowrie and B- prospect would be a good starting point of discussion, IMO.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hanrahan pitched very well for 70 innings, but he was only about average in 2010. Combine the two years and you still don't have as many innings as Karstens managed by himself in 2011.

I like Hanrahan a lot but I think we need to be aware of the small sample size we have. He isn't a proven closer yet. He hasn't done anything to disprove it - and that's where his trade value lies - but I think he has more value to a competing team than he does here. He could help us win a few extra games if we keep him but if that takes us from 65 wins to 70 it's still a losing season. On the other hand there's a better than average chance that he'll underperform and reduce his trade value.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone has read the other posts on this guy's page soxdetox, but they are very fascinating. While I like his humor and revelations about the greed of the Red Sox, he seems a tad ignorant of the Pittsburgh Pirates... by which I mean the suffering we have experienced rooting for this baseball club.

He seems to think that the Pirates aren't about turning a profit:L. If only I could take him back about 15 years, or so:rofl:

I encourage you to read this guy and his blog entries. They're worth the minutes

thx for posting this, Illinest:yo:

Last edited by a moderator: