• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's vs A's

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot agree more. Just another loss. We're still in it. Learn from tonight and move on.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a damn shame. I got no problem pinning this one Lloyd.
-Why would you throw your closer in a non save situation when he threw alot of pitches the night before
-Why you would intentionally walk Donaldson when the guy on the mound cant throw strikes.
-Why would you stick with him after he walked 4 guys, was fortunate Reddick lined out on a 2-0 pitch
-AND WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PINCH HIT FOR LOMO WITH HART. That is bar none the stupidest thing I have seen this year.
Lomo is hitting .319 of lefties this year, Hart is hitting .185 of lefties. I will never understand that

I don't understand that either. Sometimes it seems like managers blindly play the right vs lefty or lefty vs righty match up without looking at the numbers.

Wasn't Ackley available to pinch hit? I wouldn't have mind Ackley going up there to get on base.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand that either. Sometimes it seems like managers blindly play the right vs lefty or lefty vs righty match up without looking at the numbers.

Wasn't Ackley available to pinch hit? I wouldn't have mind Ackley going up there to get on base.

Ackley took the day off today...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a damn shame. I got no problem pinning this one Lloyd.
-Why would you throw your closer in a non save situation when he threw alot of pitches the night before
-Why you would intentionally walk Donaldson when the guy on the mound cant throw strikes.
-Why would you stick with him after he walked 4 guys, was fortunate Reddick lined out on a 2-0 pitch
-AND WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PINCH HIT FOR LOMO WITH HART. That is bar none the stupidest thing I have seen this year.
Lomo is hitting .319 of lefties this year, Hart is hitting .185 of lefties. I will never understand that

Good points

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 games to go, a few teams in the hunt for the 2 wildcard spots, you simply cannot lose games like this now to teams like Oakland. If there was ever a time to go on a hot streak its now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one game fellas. Rodney obviously didn't have it today. Almost gritted it out, but it just wasn't our night to win it.

Oakland despite all their recent struggles still has a very talented team

We'll get em tomorrow

Add up the number of times someone has said that after a game we should have won and we would have enough wins to be tied with Angels. It's not okay and never will be. It will keep us fighting for a final spot and crying at the end only if. Lloyd screwed that one up big time and you just can't excuse it. Yes we move on to tomorrow, but that doesn't make today acceptable.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly walks are becoming a big issue with this pitching staff. Obviously they lost today because of walks. Kuma gave three runs with 2 outs the other night because a walk kept the inning alive. Medina lost the game night before because a walk in the 9th kept the inning going. Paxton also issued a few walks last night

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but Rodney should have been nowhere near the mound in the 9th. The crazy rollercoaster pitcher is the guy you bring in for the biggest inning of the biggest game?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is time for Lloyd's famous Sucre/Hart/Romero lineup tomorrow.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add up the number of times someone has said that after a game we should have won and we would have enough wins to be tied with Angels. It's not okay and never will be. It will keep us fighting for a final spot and crying at the end only if. Lloyd screwed that one up big time and you just can't excuse it. Yes we move on to tomorrow, but that doesn't make today acceptable.

Pardon me for saying this, but are you trying to say that one game makes the season?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, they probably should have gotten more then 5 hits if a win was to be expected. Still doesnt excuse the way the 10th inning was managed. The things that I mentioned above cant happen in a game of this magnitude. Hart hasnt seen an AB since Sunday, not to mention he is horrible. He should never be pinch hitting unless its for a pitcher. Luckily Lester is pitching tommorrow so we probably get to see Hart and Romero in the lineup. YAY

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pardon me for saying this, but are you trying to say that one game makes the season?

One game always makes or breaks the season unless you either run away with it or are so far out of it it doesn't matter.

If we miss out of the playoffs by one game, doesn't that tell you one game does make the difference? I shouldn't have to explain that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One change that is need immediately:

Austin Jackson fanned three times on Saturday and is 0-for-12 with nine strikeouts in his last three games.

Jackson has been a brutal leadoff hitter for the Mariners to date, hitting .239 with just eight walks and 15 runs scored in 163 at-bats and 39 games. He had a respectable .332 on-base percentage for the Tigers, but since the trade, he's come in at .274. The Mariners will have to consider moving him down in the order.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game always makes or breaks the season unless you either run away with it or are so far out of it it doesn't matter.

If we miss out of the playoffs by one game, doesn't that tell you one game does make the difference? I shouldn't have to explain that.

That's not what I meant. Are you going to judge a manager based off of one game we lost out 162 and overlook how he made us into a winning team?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One change that is need immediately:

Austin Jackson fanned three times on Saturday and is 0-for-12 with nine strikeouts in his last three games.

Jackson has been a brutal leadoff hitter for the Mariners to date, hitting .239 with just eight walks and 15 runs scored in 163 at-bats and 39 games. He had a respectable .332 on-base percentage for the Tigers, but since the trade, he's come in at .274. The Mariners will have to consider moving him down in the order.

I have been thinking this for about a week and I agree but I doubt Lloyd does anything about it. Seems like you can add that to the list of things Lloyd is stubborn about. Things like Ajax hitting leadoff, Morales hitting cleanup, Lomo sitting against lefties.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking this for about a week and I agree but I doubt Lloyd does anything about it. Seems like you can add that to the list of things Lloyd is stubborn about. Things like Ajax hitting leadoff, Morales hitting cleanup, Lomo sitting against lefties.

I have to agree. My guess is that he keeps Ajax as leadoff tomorrow and goes with Denorfia and Romero in the outfield with Hart at DH. Can't wait to see the lineup card.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Ideal lineup with what they have is Saunders, Ackley, Cano, Seagar, Lomo, Morales, AJax, Miller and Zunino.
Saunders, Ackley, Cano, Seagar and Lomo all hit just fine off lefties so I dont mind grouping them all together. Saunders is good at working the count and can take walks which is what you need in a leadoff hitter.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what I meant. Are you going to judge a manager based off of one game we lost out 162 and overlook how he made us into a winning team?

Explain to me again how he has made us a winning team all by himself? So the Cano signing doesn't factor in? Seager having a career year is a non factor? Young and Elias no credit? He turned the bullpen around with motivational speaking?

Managers make lineups and a few in-game decisions, but outside of that I am not sure what a big difference one manager makes over the next if put in the same team scenario. I do believe matching a manager and his style to a team and their style (attitude wise) matters. A loud barking manager with low key players would be a bad match and vice versa.

Here is an article to better explain my point:

Congrats, you’re fired: Winning the Manager of the Year award isn’t always such a good thing

Aaron Gleeman
Nov 13, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

I was looking over the history of the Manager of the Year award in preparation for this year’s winners being announced tonight and it struck me just how many of them were fired within a couple years.
Jim Tracy won in 2009 and was canned by the Rockies last month.
Lou Piniella won in 2008 and stepped down from the Cubs in mid-2010.
Bob Melvin won in 2007 and was fired by the Diamondbacks in early 2009.
Eric Wedge won in 2007 and was fired by the Indians after 2009.
Joe Girardi won in 2006 and was let go by the Marlins that same year.
Buck Showalter won in 2004 and was canned by the Rangers after 2006.
Tony Pena won in 2003 and was fired by the Royals after 2005.
There are more examples, but you get the idea. Ron Gardenhire and Bud Black were the 2010 winners and both remain on the job, but they’ve combined to go 276-372 since then for a .426 winning percentage.
As for why so many Manager of the Year winners are goners within 2-3 years … I’m not sure. It might be due to the winners often coming from teams that surprised people and out-performed preseason expectations significantly, and in many cases those teams come back down to earth in the following seasons. Or maybe it’s just the nature of being a big-league manager and the lack of job security is just more noticeable when they have a recent award.

--------------------------

So either managers play a lesser role as I believe or managers tend to lose their abilities to lead within a real short period of time.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me again how he has made us a winning team all by himself? So the Cano signing doesn't factor in? Seager having a career year is a non factor? Young and Elias no credit? He turned the bullpen around with motivational speaking?

:L Would you rather have Eric Wedge right now, or Lloyd McClendon? You tell me. One or the other.