• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's vs A's

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One change that is need immediately:

Austin Jackson fanned three times on Saturday and is 0-for-12 with nine strikeouts in his last three games.

Jackson has been a brutal leadoff hitter for the Mariners to date, hitting .239 with just eight walks and 15 runs scored in 163 at-bats and 39 games. He had a respectable .332 on-base percentage for the Tigers, but since the trade, he's come in at .274. The Mariners will have to consider moving him down in the order.

Austin Jackson again sucked tonight, it's time for him to sit ... He us killing this team right now

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Ideal lineup with what they have is Saunders, Ackley, Cano, Seagar, Lomo, Morales, AJax, Miller and Zunino.
Saunders, Ackley, Cano, Seagar and Lomo all hit just fine off lefties so I dont mind grouping them all together. Saunders is good at working the count and can take walks which is what you need in a leadoff hitter.

I believe their is a big difference with LH batters facing LH pitchers, but two things would cause me to keep the same handed matchup in:

1- A wicked throwing LH who throws from an angle and sweeps his pitcher
2- You have a much better RH option even with the lefty lefty matchup.

With Lester, I don't see him as that big a difference vs LH if LH is a legit hitter and I don't see us having the RH options that is good enough to remove the lefties you mentioned. I would go with your lineup and add Denorfia tomorrow in place of either Ackley (if still hurting) or Saunders. I would also go with Smoak, yes I said that, over Morales for a game and see if we can strike lightning in a bottle.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care how many good decisions Lloyd has made this year. Yes overall he's been great but it doesnt excuse the decisions he made today. The 10th inning was his worst managed inning of the year and it came in the most important inning of the year. Maybe I'm overreacting but you cant be doing that in game of this magnitude. You just cant

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care how many good decisions Lloyd has made this year. Yes overall he's been great but it doesnt excuse the decisions he made today. The 10th inning was his worst managed inning of the year and it came in the most important inning of the year. Maybe I'm overreacting but you cant be doing that in game of this magnitude. You just cant

Absolutely terrible decision with Rodney, just terrible

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Would you rather have Eric Wedge right now, or Lloyd McClendon? You tell me. One or the other.

So you are comparing Edge with his team to Lloyd and his? So how do you evaluate Bob Melvin? Do you look at him and evaluate him based on when he managed the Mariners? The DBacks? The A's? You would get a different evaluation based on the performances of all 3 teams.

I like Lloyd for his straight forward comments, but game in skills are no better than others that have come before him. He rarely hits and runs, he rarely sacrifices, and he rarely squeezes so outside of lineups and pitches changes he doesn't play much of an in-game role and his lineups at times are head scratchers and his pitches changes like tonight are just dumbfounding.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in-game skills are no better than others that have come before him. He rarely hits and runs, he rarely sacrifices, and he rarely squeezes so outside of lineups and pitches changes he doesn't play much of an in-game role and his lineups at times are head scratchers and his pitches changes like tonight are just dumbfounding.

Thing is, no matter who the manager would be, right now, you would be saying the same thing about him. Every manager has his preferences that causes fans headaches. No manager in history of baseball has been perfect, where every fan loved him. He'll have tendencies that annoy him.

They're 80-67 for the first time since 2007. A season like this hasn't happened since 2001 or 1995. No matter what happens this year I still think we can be one of the best teams in the league next year. Every team is going to lose games, and at some point they will not look like a team. Just wait for the end of the season for judgement is all I ask.

Oh, and if we lose a lot of games the last two weeks I will eat my words.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, no matter who the manager would be, right now, you would be saying the same thing about him. Every manager has his preferences that causes fans headaches. No manager in history of baseball has been perfect, where every fan loved him. He'll have tendencies that annoy him.

They're 80-67 for the first time since 2007. A season like this hasn't happened since 2001 or 1995. No matter what happens this year I still think we can be one of the best teams in the league next year. Every team is going to lose games, and at some point they will not look like a team. Just wait for the end of the season for judgement is all I ask.

Oh, and if we lose a lot of games the last two weeks I will eat my words.

1- I would be critical of any manager if they made the same dumb decisions Lloyd did last night. That I agree on. I also agree no manager is perfect, but managers have a limited role in a a game and when they do make a move, or not make a move in some cases, that is what they are judged at. That is what defines each one. That is what makes one good and one bad. Lloyd is a good manager, but makes some head scratching decisions. The use of the bullpen and PH'ing Hart were two glaring ones.

2- Judgement is never limited to the final result in anything in life nor should it be in baseball. Games are played day to day and that is how judgement goes. That is why they have these sites. Otherwise there would only be one thread and it would be started after the last game.

3- Not wanting you to eat your words. I hope in the end your view of the team comes true, but I am just expressing my views as I see them at the time I see them. I personally won't get excited over a 80+ win season simply because it isn't something we should see as an achievement but something we should expect. We as fans just need to set the bar higher IMO.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lloyd, and I still believe he is the best manager for the job. but that being said he did play things dumb last night.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so shocked that Lloyds left handed pitching lineup has zero runs

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart in LF. Such a brilliant decision

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are comparing Edge with his team to Lloyd and his? So how do you evaluate Bob Melvin? Do you look at him and evaluate him based on when he managed the Mariners? The DBacks? The A's? You would get a different evaluation based on the performances of all 3 teams.

I like Lloyd for his straight forward comments, but game in skills are no better than others that have come before him. He rarely hits and runs, he rarely sacrifices, and he rarely squeezes so outside of lineups and pitches changes he doesn't play much of an in-game role and his lineups at times are head scratchers and his pitches changes like tonight are just dumbfounding.

It's really hard to criticize Lloyd for his job simply because it seems he has the midas touch this season. Nearly every move he has made that goes completely against logic somehow works out. I think it is fair to criticize him, I just think it is natural that a lot of people will comes to his defense because of how well his moves have worked out. But honestly I don't seem much difference between him and Wedge outside of their personalities. I truly think until Wedge got to the F you to Jack phase he and Lloyd were about the same.

It is hard comparing the two because truthfully I'd prefer Wedge because he is a more in house coach and oppose to Lloyd and it seems Lloyd has been given more control over a little more talented team as it seemed Wedge had less talent and less say in how things went......most specifically the Smoak/Carp ordeal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.