• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most important transfers in 2016 season

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was benched at Houston. Not sure what evidence there is that he can succeed at Michigan

Having seen him play a good bit, in my opinion O'Korn is a talented pocket passer. A big kid with a big arm. He's not a particularly mobile QB, though he can move around fairly well for a guy his size. His strengths didn't match very well with the UH offense and I also suspect that he'll get better coaching than he got at UH.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having seen him play a good bit, in my opinion O'Korn is a talented pocket passer. A big kid with a big arm. He's not a particularly mobile QB, though he can move around fairly well for a guy his size. His strengths didn't match very well with the UH offense and I also suspect that he'll get better coaching than he got at UH.

It all very possible, but this is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Fan bases get excited about kids that could not start at their old schools. Most will contribute about the same as at their prior stops.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to see Kenny Hill bounce back with TCU

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry J Sanders and Derrick Moncrief look at the list and shrug.

On a sidenote Priest Willis was ours before A$M got involved. Amazing how well a lame duck coaching staff can recruit.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all very possible, but this is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Fan bases get excited about kids that could not start at their old schools. Most will contribute about the same as at their prior stops.

O'Korn did start quite a few games for UH, though. He also had a number of good games, particularly as a freshman.

You can generalize and say that "most transfers won't get any better at their new school than they were at their old school". Maybe that's true. Maybe it's not. To me it's more meaningful, however, to think of transfers as individual players than as a the group "all transfers".

In O'Korn's case, I happen to think there are reasons to believe that he can be a good player. That is, I actually watched him play and try to account for factors like how well he fits UH's v. UM's offense and the quality of coaching at the two schools.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this piece, in which the writer lists the "10 most important transfers" for the upcoming season kind of interesting: Adelson: Top 10 impact players from the 2015-16 transfer mayhem

First guy on the list is MI QB John O'Korn. He was very impressive as a pocket passer his freshman season at Houston, particularly early in the year, before UH faced some tougher defenses. He struggled as a sophomore, before losing his starting job. Not sure that he was a good fit for the Houston offense and I know that he did not get particularly good coaching, so ever since MI hired Harbaugh, I've wondered how he would do there. Finally, worth noting that the piece was written before MI signed the McCaffery kid the other day, so I don't know whether O'Korn will even play.

Also found interesting Houston RB Duke Catalon, a highly rated recruit for UT, is fourth on the list. Since UH just dismissed from the program the guy I thought who was most likely to get the bulk of the work in a UH backfield that lost to graduation its two best RBs, Catalon now has a big chance to be the back he never was at UT.

Here is the full list:

1. QB John O'Korn, Houston to Michigan
2. QB Trevor Knight, Oklahoma to Texas A&M
3. QB Dakota Prukop, Montana State to Oregon
4. RB Duke Catalon,Texas to Houston
5. DL Gerald Willis, Florida to Miami
6. WR Geno Lewis, Penn State to Oklahoma
7. QB Luke Del Rio, Oregon State to Florida
8. QB Kenny Hill, Texas A&M to TCU
9. QB Riley Ferguson, Tennessee/junior college/Memphis
10. DB Priest Willis, UCLA to Texas A&M

I don't think Prukop will be like Vernon Adams was, but he could be decent

Catalon should make an impact.

I see Kenny Hill doing well

Maybe Knight just needed a change of atmosphere but I doubt he'll do any good, Luke Del Rio hasn't been close to winning a starting job, I don't see him doing much.

O'Korn could be solid.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was benched at Houston. Not sure what evidence there is that he can succeed at Michigan
Rudock was benched too at Iowa and finished with the 2nd most passing yards by any Michigan QB ever in a single season. He also finished the season statistically as the 2nd best QB in the B10 (above the guy he was bunched for) -- according to passer rating.

O'Korn had fantastic stats at Houston as a freshman and showed the capability of being a pretty darn good QB. His physical abilities seem to be above what Rudock was capable of -- so I have no doubt that Harbaugh can mold him into something useful. Harbaugh wouldn't have targeted him for no reason.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Korn passed 3100 yarD's and 28 tds as a true freshman. I will gladly take that.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it funny that every qb on ATM's roster is on some level an OU or OKST castoff?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it funny that every qb on ATM's roster is on some level an OU or OKST castoff?

Might have something to do with Sumlin having coached at OU for several years.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clicking on his name in the article linked in the OP shows that he caught 55 balls for about 750 yards last year. I would be encouraged by those numbers.

I know that Chance Allen, a transfer WR from Oregon, who never did much there, had a very nice season for UH last year.
he didnt do much at Oregon because he was young and he was burried by the depth chart.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry J Sanders and Derrick Moncrief look at the list and shrug.

On a sidenote Priest Willis was ours before A$M got involved. Amazing how well a lame duck coaching staff can recruit.
You don't get a mention because your dad was a legend. The younger Sanders hasn't done anything at the collegiate level to be mentioned. And who is Derrick Moncrief?

Not everyone is here to make sure to boost up Oklahoma State. I know they're your favorite, but they're pretty irrelevant on the national scene.