• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Montero is making a case for himself down in AAA

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat boy Montero's AAA stats are looking a bit too juicy to ignore, he's hitting .309/.376/.528 with 13 HRs and 63 RBIs. Since being sent back down to AAA, Montero is making AAA pitching look like the Saints defense trying to tackle Marshawn Lynch.

In 15 games since being sent back to Tacoma, Montero is hitting .450/.492/.800 (Yes, that is BA/OBP/SLG) with 5 HRs and 23 RBIs.

Meanwhile, Corey Hart has continued to struggle. Hart has not gone deep since May 7th, and is hitting .233/.250/.267 0 HRs 1 RBI since returning from the DL.

Corey Hart is sort of like the girlfriend you have been dating for a year. When you started dating her, she was a 9/10 and looked like a really good match. But over the course of the relationship, she has gained 100lbs and become bitchy, fat and annoying. It's difficult to let her go, because part of you believes that she will become that smoking hot 9/10 again. But in reality, she sucks now. That is basically Corey Hart. He was the 9/10 girlfriend from 2007 to 2012, but now he's the annoying fat girl who used to be smoking hot.

Time to give Montero another shot. Judging by his performance in AAA, he must've found a new supplier.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes sense to me

i remember reading this piece from back in april when montero was mashing in tacoma:

Jesus Montero, doing things in Tacoma - Lookout Landing

it's an overall positive article about montero, but it talks about the rather amazing difference in his stats when facing older and younger pitchers.

His splits against younger vs. older pitchers raises an eyebrow as well, as he's carrying a 1.875 OPS against the kids and just a .749 OPS against veterans, tracked by Baseball-Reference. This is a split I'll be keeping an eye on, as even older pitchers with lesser stuff seem to know how to exploit aggressive hitters like Montero as long as they can locate.

I wonder if there's still that much discrepancy now with a larger sample size, but i'm too lazy to research it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's worth it to see whether he can come close to those numbers up here or whether he's just one of those guys who torches minor league pitching, but isn't the same hitter when he reaches the majors. People tend to forget, thanks to his awful defense behind the plate, his injuries, his PED use and his apparent dedication to the "see food" diet over the winter, that Montero actually tore the cover off of the ball with the Mariners when he first got here. If he can figure out how to get back to that at the major league level and stay out of trouble in the process, that's one less bat that the M's would have to try to get via trade. It'd be nice if at least one significant trade went our way for once.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still dont understand why Hart is on this roster, and I would love for Montero, or maybe even a pitching machine to replace him.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say bring him up, but if the issues that Lloyd/Jack have with him are too much to reward with a call up then his trade value needs to be considered. The dude is mashing down in AAA, and with the inept offense that the M's have it surprises me that he hasn't been truly considered. Is it Harts contract? Is it all of the buffets in the offseason? What is it? He needs to be moved one way or another because in my opinion he has earned it at this point. Staying in Tacoma won't do anyone any good, his trade value probably has a cap anyways so let's make a move on him already.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say bring him up, but if the issues that Lloyd/Jack have with him are too much to reward with a call up then his trade value needs to be considered.

I honestly feel it's Lloyd that doesn't want him up, and I don't blame him, they should have released him last winter...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly feel it's Lloyd that doesn't want him up, and I don't blame him, they should have released him last winter...

Why? No reason to do that.

Plenty of mlb/aaa guys get busted for peds....quite a few with our org.
Cause he is out of shape? Thats a dumb reason to dump a talent.

Does he have a future with this org? Who knows, id like to see him instead of hart. But if not he is a tradeable assett.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? No reason to do that.

Plenty of mlb/aaa guys get busted for peds....quite a few with our org.
Cause he is out of shape? Thats a dumb reason to dump a talent.

Does he have a future with this org? Who knows, id like to see him instead of hart. But if not he is a tradeable assett.

you have to be lazy or an idiot to get caught with MLB"s ped "testing".

because congress got its filthy nose in there for awhile, PED usage obviously went down, but only the most naive of baseball fan would try arguing it's not still pretty rampant.

there's a reason the biggest PED bust in MLB history involved 0 positive drug tests in the evidence. Who knows how many tests those dozen players passed while juicing enough to kill an elephant. (yes, I know about Braun, the one guy that popped positive on a test before the biogen full scandal).

zero reason to release a team controlled guy with monster unharnessed and untapped power like montero. at the very least, keep him in the minors and let him rack up numbers so you can trade him for something of value. and if he can contribute, bring him on up.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Montero's not a fitness model or anything, but it looks like he's been putting in some good work at the gym. Doesn't look a whole lot fatter than your average DH or 1st Baseman. He's a big guy, so I don't think he's going to get a lot skinnier than this. I'll take that over the skinny little boy next to him...oh wait, that's Franklin:

BlFEC.AuSt.38.jpeg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lloyd has some serious beef with him, it seems like the right decision to call him up and DFA Hart but what is the point if they call him up and Lloyd refuses to play him? Worse comes to worse, let him rot while tearing it up in AAA and get his value up in a potential deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be taking his most recent cycle pretty seriously. He doesn't look any bigger than Kendrys Morales anymore.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a little back and forth with M's beat writer, this is what he finally said about Montero.

2m @95MiracleMs -- just issues with effort, condition, approach during BP, attitude, work ethic. Only marginal improvement there.

Ughhh history is littered with aholes that put up numbers....l hart may be a great guy but he aint cutting the bacon

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a little back and forth with M's beat writer, this is what he finally said about Montero.

2m @95MiracleMs -- just issues with effort, condition, approach during BP, attitude, work ethic. Only marginal improvement there.

Shocking..... I understand some wanting to have him come up and releasing Hart, but if a skipper doesn't believe in him or trust him then it would be a serious crash and burn...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be taking his most recent cycle pretty seriously. He doesn't look any bigger than Kendrys Morales anymore.

lol

i'm actually fascinated by this stuff about lmc not "liking" montero.

maybe they're letting him simmer down there to entice GM's with another trading piece. maybe they notice trends in his hitting against young, inexperienced pitchers vs. more experience ones. lmc is a professional, so i doubt he would object to bringing something up that could help the team because he doesn't "like" him.

or maybe the FO is just completely dysfunctional.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it is Lloyd or someone in the organization but they definitely play favorites. It seems like it is Lloyd because he has no problem only ripping certain guys for horrible performances and having a short leash but allowing others to just suck for periods of time.

He instigates ripping on Montero, Walker and Ramirez while getting offended and using profanity when a media member asked him about why he was playing Almonte.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His splits are too extreme for me to ignore. Seems like he is feasting on band box and warm weather parks of the PCL

BtCijBBCAAAi2Fz.png:large

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw those splits earlier and my question was how are the rest of the players on the team doing with their splits? If they aren't putting up great road numbers like Montero, then I think you have to give him credit. If his teammates are also having crazy splits with big road numbers, then you should devalue him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do give him credit because it appears he has taken his recent demotion seriously. The attitude and work ethic seems to be his biggest issues so hopefully hes turned a corner. The splits I guess are just keeping me from going all in. However if given the choice between him and Hart its no contest I'd much rather see Jesus. Hart looks like he's 55 years old out there.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it is Lloyd or someone in the organization but they definitely play favorites. It seems like it is Lloyd because he has no problem only ripping certain guys for horrible performances and having a short leash but allowing others to just suck for periods of time.

He instigates ripping on Montero, Walker and Ramirez while getting offended and using profanity when a media member asked him about why he was playing Almonte.

Each player is different. Some players thrive off the ra ra in your face type of coaching. Others wilt away with it. It's the managers job to figure out what best way to motivate. So that doesn't really bother me.