• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MLB's Contingency Plan To Keep Attendance Down Has Astros Hosting Rangers In St. Pete. August 29-31

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win tonight at st. Pete

Glad Gallo is back and I hope Elvis is ok.

nice to see the team win so they could wash that Oakland stench off. Man that was a horrible series.

Speaking of things that stink.... what the hell is wrong with odor? When the rosters expand, I want profar up here breathing down his neck. Pronto!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was posted on a Reddit thread about the spat or fight about where the games would be played:

part of their ( Astros brain trust) reasoning was that just handing the Rangers 3 extra home games (because revenue and who bats last aside, those would have functionally been Rangers home games) wasn't fair to all the other teams in the Wild Card race, especially given how much better the Rangers have been at home than on the road.

In other words, Reid Ryan is a fucking twit. Pretty much any knowledgeable Rangers fan would realize that the Rangers fans who bought tickets for the late September series in Arlington would be screwed with a straight up swap.

Not only does Reid ryan not want to play the series in Arlington this week and net the higher revenue, he specifically wanted the Rangers to lose home field advantage for the series in late September where the seats would be full of houston fans cheering on their team for likely several goals or quite possibly all of them : Wrapping up home field in the playoffs, winning the silver boot, and / or knocking us out of the wild card. These guys don't want to face us in the playoffs. It's clear.

Fuck that shit. Fuck you Reid ryan and fuck you astros. I see through your shit.

To give you another way to think of it : Reid Ryan pretty much said " that's sweet you offered us a place to stay and you will even pay all the rent and buy groceries, but we want the master bedroom and premium cable"

JD said hell no and we're off to Tampa. I don't blame the Astros for not wanting to play here, but they shouldn't have thrown a hissy fit about the Rangers not wanting to swap. I'm perfectly fine playing in Tampa because these are supposed to be road games anyway. We also get the benefit of a less hostile crowd then the one we would've seen down in Houston. Let's get at least one more and get ready for those angels.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rangers offered to give all the money from this series to the recovery but no. So they went to Tampa and instead of 25000 to 30000 people donating to the effort they had 3400. The worst possible scenerio

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rangers offered to give all the money from this series to the recovery but no. So they went to Tampa and instead of 25000 to 30000 people donating to the effort they had 3400. The worst possible scenerio

It's clear that the Astros have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to the Rangers, and they act out of spite rather than sense.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear that the Astros have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to the Rangers, and they act out of spite rather than sense.

The entire city of Houston has a chip on it's shoulder.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dropped off two packs of bottled water and three boxes of diapers for hurricane relief. Every little bit helps.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seriously don't get why people are upset about having to play in Tampa. These were going to be road games anyway. Our chances of winning a neutral site game at the trop are higher then at hostile Minute Maid. Texans are already doing a marvelous job of supporting Corpus Christi / rockport / Houston refugees. We don't need a baseball game in Arlington to prove that.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously don't get why people are upset about having to play in Tampa. These were going to be road games anyway. Our chances of winning a neutral site game at the trop are higher then at hostile Minute Maid. Texans are already doing a marvelous job of supporting Corpus Christi / rockport / Houston refugees. We don't need a baseball game in Arlington to prove that.

I don't think anyone is upset that the games are being played in Tampa. They're upset because the Astros organization acted like huge dickholes. The "chance of winning" element shouldn't be in anyone's mind right now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think it is about proving anything?

One of the biggest reasons why it made a whole lot more sense to play here is because the Astros would have been closer to home. The Texas knew that was important and now they are on their way home and it won't take very long because they stayed close. Between that and the attendance factor it was a no-brainer and that is just what Reid Ryan and MLB proved. They proved they have no brains.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think it is about proving anything?

One of the biggest reasons why it made a whole lot more sense to play here is because the Astros would have been closer to home. The Texas knew that was important and now they are on their way home and it won't take very long because they stayed close. Between that and the attendance factor it was a no-brainer and that is just what Reid Ryan and MLB proved. They proved they have no brains.

The article posted earlier talked about it being a chance to galvanize Texans and bring them together.

I don't think baseball is on the forefront of anyone's mind right now in the entire state. Attendance would've been low in Arlington too, just not as low as the trop.

I just don't like how Rangers fans are trying to make it seem like the Astros organization is terrible for playing at the trop, these are still their home games and it was their decision. The only thing Rangers fans should be upset about is Reid Ryan attacking us in the media for not swapping.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't like how Rangers fans are trying to make it seem like the Astros organization is terrible for playing at the trop, these are still their home games and it was their decision. The only thing Rangers fans should be upset about is Reid Ryan attacking us in the media for not swapping.

It was a stupid decision (that was also subject to approval by MLB).

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dropped off two packs of bottled water and three boxes of diapers for hurricane relief. Every little bit helps.
Says a lot about you my friend. We did something similar yesterday. People are helping every where. If health would allow I would be on site helping too.Think you know what I mean.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says a lot about you my friend. We did something similar yesterday. People are helping every where. If health would allow I would be on site helping too.Think you know what I mean.

Heard many a story about caravans of fellow Texans descending on the area for search and rescue. Proud to be a Texan every day, but especially these days.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article posted earlier talked about it being a chance to galvanize Texans and bring them together.

I don't think baseball is on the forefront of anyone's mind right now in the entire state. Attendance would've been low in Arlington too, just not as low as the trop.

Well pin a rose on your nose. They are stupid that's why . Saddles made it pretty clear. Frankly I don't care what you think concerning Ranger fans and they don't care either.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chew on this trade idea by Jamey Newberg for awhile. I like it. I like it a lot.

This is not going to happen, but this is baseball, which is a talking sport and a spitballin’ sport, and it both provides and encourages distraction on a regular basis.

November Something, 2017: Texas trades Shin-Soo Choo, Rougned Odor, and Yanio Perez to the Jeters for Giancarlo Stanton

Now, on paper, it’s a woefully inadequate package of talent for the game’s most prodigious power hitter.

And on the other, it’s a horribly encumbering payroll hit, particularly when no cash changes hands.

A huge gut check on both sides.

For the Marlins – who, according to Bob Nightengale (USA Today), have been contacted recently by several teams, including the Rangers, expressing interest in the 27-year-old, and who might be open this winter to trading him – it would remove a 10-year, $295 million contract from the club’s books, which in another section reportedly indicates a $90 million debt in 2017 alone.

Nightengale suggests Miami might have to subsidize at least $75 million of Stanton’s contract in order to move him.

Another way to accomplish that: Take on the $63 million owed to Choo the next three years, and Odor’s accelerating salaries.

For the Rangers, you add the game’s most dangerous right-handed power bat to a lineup that tilts heavily to the left – with Willie Calhoun and perhaps Ronald Guzman on the way to pile on even further – and in the process remove two players who hit from the left side.

Switch-hitting Jurickson Profar (.292/.385/.443 at Round Rock, with more walks [39] than strikeouts [28]) becomes the favorite to assume second base.

Freeing up DH makes other things easier going forward.

By removing what’s owed to Choo in 2018-2020 and to Odor in 2018-2023, this is what Stanton would effectively cost Texas:

2018 age 28 $2,000,000

2019 29 <$2,500,000>

2020 30 <$4,000,000>

2021 31 $17,000,000

2022 32 $17,000,000

2023 33 $18,500,000 (or $29M, if Odor were still here and bought out)

2024 34 $32,000,000

2025 35 $32,000,000

2026 36 $29,000,000

2027 37 $25,000,000

2028 38 $25,000,000 (or $10M, if Stanton were bought out)

All told, 11 years at, effectively, $191 million (or 10 at $176 million) under this trade scenario. That’s $17.3 million a year, or $17.6 million a year if bought out of that age 38 season.

Yes, Stanton may opt out after 2020. He’d be giving up seven years and a guaranteed $218 million ($31.1 million AAV) for what’s behind Door Number 2.

And if that happens, you bid heavily to keep the guy, or spend the money somewhere else.

And yes, that’s a big payroll jump for the Rangers in 2021. They’ll be in a new ballpark by then and presumably more comfortable absorbing it.

We’re talking about Giancarlo Stanton.

In a lineup next to Joey Gallo.

I love Odor. I love him in spite of the fact that, according to High Heat Stats, he’s recorded the most outs at the plate in baseball this year despite having only the 35th-most plate appearances. He’s had a really tough year with his plate approach and his reliability in the field, but he’s 23 and I have confidence in the idea that there’s a better player in there. A much better player.

I am also not giving up on the idea that Jurickson Profar can be a winning piece on a contending team. (I don’t think we see Calhoun back in the infield.)

But even if second base becomes a question mark going forward, it would be foolish to think you could add Stanton without taking a Major League hit somewhere else.

As for Choo, the contract is bad but the player isn’t. He’s a DH now, but he’s a base-reacher on a team short on those. The club would miss his production. But it would survive his loss.

The Marlins, rather than chipping in $75 million, would get that level of salary relief in the form of taking Choo and Odor on, and that’s two players who can help. I realize Dee Gordon is now a second baseman and that it might mean Odor becomes a third baseman, and that Choo in right field wouldn’t be ideal, but in an outfield that boasts two center field-level defenders in Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna, Miami could theoretically narrow Choo’s territory with alignment options the Rangers just don’t have.

Perez is a Cuban who just turned 22. He’s a corner outfielder/corner infielder and he hits. In this, his first season since signing stateside, he’s hit .322/.392/.533 in Low A and .256/.312/.374 in High A. Someone Miami can dream on a bit.

Really, this whole scenario is something to dream on, at best. Even though Derek Jeter’s organization probably knows it has to trade Stanton, anything short of a blow-‘em-away proposal probably won’t get far. Someone will eventually blow them away, but until then these types of crystal ball drills, especially upstairs in Miami, are just exercises in kicking the can.

My distraction time is up. Back to work.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chew on this trade idea by Jamey Newberg for awhile. I like it. I like it a lot.

This is not going to happen, but this is baseball, which is a talking sport and a spitballin’ sport, and it both provides and encourages distraction on a regular basis.

November Something, 2017: Texas trades Shin-Soo Choo, Rougned Odor, and Yanio Perez to the Jeters for Giancarlo Stanton

Now, on paper, it’s a woefully inadequate package of talent for the game’s most prodigious power hitter.

And on the other, it’s a horribly encumbering payroll hit, particularly when no cash changes hands.

A huge gut check on both sides.

For the Marlins – who, according to Bob Nightengale (USA Today), have been contacted recently by several teams, including the Rangers, expressing interest in the 27-year-old, and who might be open this winter to trading him – it would remove a 10-year, $295 million contract from the club’s books, which in another section reportedly indicates a $90 million debt in 2017 alone.

Nightengale suggests Miami might have to subsidize at least $75 million of Stanton’s contract in order to move him.

Another way to accomplish that: Take on the $63 million owed to Choo the next three years, and Odor’s accelerating salaries.

For the Rangers, you add the game’s most dangerous right-handed power bat to a lineup that tilts heavily to the left – with Willie Calhoun and perhaps Ronald Guzman on the way to pile on even further – and in the process remove two players who hit from the left side.

Switch-hitting Jurickson Profar (.292/.385/.443 at Round Rock, with more walks [39] than strikeouts [28]) becomes the favorite to assume second base.

Freeing up DH makes other things easier going forward.

By removing what’s owed to Choo in 2018-2020 and to Odor in 2018-2023, this is what Stanton would effectively cost Texas:

2018 age 28 $2,000,000

2019 29 <$2,500,000>

2020 30 <$4,000,000>

2021 31 $17,000,000

2022 32 $17,000,000

2023 33 $18,500,000 (or $29M, if Odor were still here and bought out)

2024 34 $32,000,000

2025 35 $32,000,000

2026 36 $29,000,000

2027 37 $25,000,000

2028 38 $25,000,000 (or $10M, if Stanton were bought out)

All told, 11 years at, effectively, $191 million (or 10 at $176 million) under this trade scenario. That’s $17.3 million a year, or $17.6 million a year if bought out of that age 38 season.

Yes, Stanton may opt out after 2020. He’d be giving up seven years and a guaranteed $218 million ($31.1 million AAV) for what’s behind Door Number 2.

And if that happens, you bid heavily to keep the guy, or spend the money somewhere else.

And yes, that’s a big payroll jump for the Rangers in 2021. They’ll be in a new ballpark by then and presumably more comfortable absorbing it.

We’re talking about Giancarlo Stanton.

In a lineup next to Joey Gallo.

I love Odor. I love him in spite of the fact that, according to High Heat Stats, he’s recorded the most outs at the plate in baseball this year despite having only the 35th-most plate appearances. He’s had a really tough year with his plate approach and his reliability in the field, but he’s 23 and I have confidence in the idea that there’s a better player in there. A much better player.

I am also not giving up on the idea that Jurickson Profar can be a winning piece on a contending team. (I don’t think we see Calhoun back in the infield.)

But even if second base becomes a question mark going forward, it would be foolish to think you could add Stanton without taking a Major League hit somewhere else.

As for Choo, the contract is bad but the player isn’t. He’s a DH now, but he’s a base-reacher on a team short on those. The club would miss his production. But it would survive his loss.

The Marlins, rather than chipping in $75 million, would get that level of salary relief in the form of taking Choo and Odor on, and that’s two players who can help. I realize Dee Gordon is now a second baseman and that it might mean Odor becomes a third baseman, and that Choo in right field wouldn’t be ideal, but in an outfield that boasts two center field-level defenders in Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna, Miami could theoretically narrow Choo’s territory with alignment options the Rangers just don’t have.

Perez is a Cuban who just turned 22. He’s a corner outfielder/corner infielder and he hits. In this, his first season since signing stateside, he’s hit .322/.392/.533 in Low A and .256/.312/.374 in High A. Someone Miami can dream on a bit.

Really, this whole scenario is something to dream on, at best. Even though Derek Jeter’s organization probably knows it has to trade Stanton, anything short of a blow-‘em-away proposal probably won’t get far. Someone will eventually blow them away, but until then these types of crystal ball drills, especially upstairs in Miami, are just exercises in kicking the can.

My distraction time is up. Back to work.

Sounds awesome to me. We get rid of odor and choo's contract. Choo is good, but his contract sucks and we aren't getting on the field what we're paying for.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo, Gomez, Napoli, and Odor.

All hitting back to back. Yikes.

We might see Keuchel strike out the side 2 or 3 times tonight.