• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MLB's Contingency Plan To Keep Attendance Down Has Astros Hosting Rangers In St. Pete. August 29-31

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recognize that emotions are high, but to me, the Rangers didn’t do anything wrong here. There was a hurricane in Houston in August that rendered the city unable to host baseball games. That the solution to that should have fallen on Rangers fans holding tickets to September games strikes me as random. The Rangers offered their stadium and the money they’d make opening it for three days; what they weren’t willing to do was stiff their own fans by changing the schedule on short notice. The Astros, or at least Reid Ryan, seem to think Rangers fans should have carried that weight. I can’t say I see the argument.

This isn’t about the thousands of Houstonians suffering tonight, fearful, lost, shocked. This is about two businesses having a fight, each protecting their self-interest. The city of Houston isn’t being ravaged by Jon Daniels. Adrian Beltre isn’t traipsing through H-Town gleefully tearing open sandbags. This is a dispute between spectacularly rich business entities. Let’s not create gods and monsters of them.

There is no right and wrong here, and looking for it -- stirring up animus to win a public-relations war -- is the only immorality I see.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've officially been called a turd and told to fuck off by Houston Astros fans. For saying the Rangers really didn't do anything wrong here, and that Houston has bigger concerns than baseball.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've officially been called a turd and told to fuck off by Houston Astros fans. For saying the Rangers really didn't do anything wrong here, and that Houston has bigger concerns than baseball.
They do have bigger concerns, but the ones who are upset about this are showing that they don't realize it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a month off and then some. Hope all you guys are well. Tough times for Houston, son is down there ok though. Making a big deal out of this seems a bit out of perspective. Any hate re this is in my opinion out of line
I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are back.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from the article I posted a link to yesterday about Ronald Guzman.

"Guzman has had a solid if not spectacular season at Triple-A Round Rock, but the Rangers are reluctant to hand any unproven rookie a position without having veteran options."

That is a good reason for going into a rebuilding/retooling phase. That way you can hand him a position and see what he does with it. That is the way we have done it in the past with several young players.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles...........thanks for doing all the research on the upcoming series.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are these people you work with or what? Hopefully you don't have to be around them much.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these people you work with or what? Hopefully you don't have to be around them much.

friend of a friend, on Facebook. My friend was attempting to bring some level-headed discussion into a swarm of angry Astros supporters, and I jumped in to back him up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
friend of a friend, on Facebook. My friend was attempting to bring some level-headed discussion into a swarm of angry Astros supporters, and I jumped in to back him up.

Good for you.....But those eggheads down in Mosquitoville won't let facts get in their way.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you.....But those eggheads down in Mosquitoville won't let facts get in their way.

Seems pretty cut and dry... Astros wanted every baseball advantage while making sure the Rangers didn't have additional baseball advantage, then ran to social media like whiny bitches when the Rangers didn't acquiesce.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to read this, but when I try and open it I get, "no relationship with merchant," which is a new one on me.

The gist of it is: A fucking hurricane hit a major city. Stop complaining about baseball games.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also... I'm already envisioning a scenario where the Rangers and the Astros face each other in the ALDS.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are still being raked over the coals on some shows re: the fucking Astros! I'm so pissed about this.

After reading what the Rangers offered to do, and reading what saddles posted (again, thanks goes to him), this is really unfair to us, and I'm not saying this just b/c it's us. It's categorically unfair.

To me the keys are, (1) The Astros are going to play these games somewhere other than where they were originally scheduled. The Rangers shouldn't have to do anything really. (2) The Rangers offered to give them the gate, make them the home team and encouraged the fans to donate to the cause (3) There is ample precedent information on how this situation has played out in previous years. There is no new ground to be explored here, but that pussy Reid Ryan chose to throw the Rangers under his own personal bus, and Lance McCullers can take a running leap up my ass.

But let me ask this, seriously, why hasn't MLB stepped up and "defined the situation" the way it really is?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are still being raked over the coals on some shows re: the fucking Astros! I'm so pissed about this.

After reading what the Rangers offered to do, and reading what saddles posted (again, thanks goes to him), this is really unfair to us, and I'm not saying this just b/c it's us. It's categorically unfair.

To me the keys are, (1) The Astros are going to play these games somewhere other than where they were originally scheduled. The Rangers shouldn't have to do anything really. (2) The Rangers offered to give them the gate, make them the home team and encouraged the fans to donate to the cause (3) There is ample precedent information on how this situation has played out in previous years. There is no new ground to be explored here, but that pussy Reid Ryan chose to throw the Rangers under his own personal bus, and Lance McCullers can take a running leap up my ass.

But let me ask this, seriously, why hasn't MLB stepped up and "defined the situation" the way it really is?
I think MLB should have realized the best answer was to let the Astros be the home team here in Arlington and told everyone that that was how it was going to be. It is like a teacher or parent that is too lazy to determine who is right and who is wrong so they punish both. In this case they said "since you can't decide we will punish you both with a east coast trip to that forsaken outpost in St. Petersburg."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna move on from all the above conversation, b/c frankly, I'm wearing some emotions on my sleeve right now, and this normally leads to me making irrational statements. So...........

Good to see Joey back with us, regardless of what state we're playing in.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were Banister, wouldn't it be prudent to give Odor a night or two off?