• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miscellaneous Stuff

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good. And, I know I am more exception than rule when it comes to fandom.

Let me see if you can give me this though. I lived in So Cal until I was 15 ( i'm old and crusty now ), but moved to the S.F bay area, and have lived there since. That said, I kept my fandom (as you can see by my avatar area ), as I don't believe in switching alleginces after one has already picked their teams.

And, it would have been very easy for me to quit and "go to the dark side", but I didn't, and take abuse pretty regular around here because of it.

If that is not weird and different enough, I am also a huge fantasy baseball guy, and I NEVER let my fandom get in the way of a winning fantasy team or season.

It is with that in mind that I would like you to thank Mr. Brandon Crawford for really learning how to hit this year, and would hope that you could help me understand that the deal is with Matt Cain? I need him to come around, and much sooner than later.

I was born in MN, but finished high school and college in the Bay Area. I'd always liked the Giants and the NL style of play, so that was a no brainer. And since the Twins lost to the Dodgers in 1965, I can carry a grudge for a long time.

I just moved back to NorCal after 28 years in SoCal (Pasadena area). My kids were born there, and my son is a Dodger fan, though does not bleed Dodger blue as the old man bleeds Giants orange. I surprisingly loved it in SoCal, and took in many games at Chavez Ravine. I, too, couldn't (or wouldn't) change loyalties. I did become more circumspect in wearing my Giants gear to Dodger Stadium over the years. Since I usually went with a group of guys who had mixed loyalties, we stood up for one another. The razzing was expected, but these guys didn't allow serious crap to happen.

You're always welcome here. Until the tzill Borg absorbs you and you become one of his alts.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can get more miscellaneous than this.

Astounding Fact of the Week

Always-entertaining Dodgers utility whiz Skip Schumaker took the mound last week for his second career pitching appearance -- and again hit 90 miles per hour on the local radar guns. Which inspired this fun tidbit, via Brooks Baseball's handy Pitch f/x tool:
• Skip Schumaker since 2007: 46 pitches, hit 90-plus 10 times.
Barry Zito since 2007: 17,469 pitches, hit 90-plus zero times.

And Greg Maddux threw how many 90+ pitches? :D

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope my comment did not come across as nasty as well.....I enjoy the good natured smack talk with my team's rivals.....

Did I mention that I am a no fun Dodger fan? What I mean is, I don't talk smack. I would much rather talk facts, or deal in trivia.

It's just my style, one that took me years on CBS to get the MLB fan masses to understand.

At least it looks like there is a good bunch of folks that frequent this area and thread, and I will come back to add any Giants related stuff I find as I come across it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I mention that I am a no fun Dodger fan? What I mean is, I don't talk smack. I would much rather talk facts, or deal in trivia.

It's just my style, one that took me years on CBS to get the MLB fan masses to understand.

At least it looks like there is a good bunch of folks that frequent this area and thread, and I will come back to add any Giants related stuff I find as I come across it.

Welcome to the board, and don't forget to send in your dues. Double for doyerfans, donchaknow...

:heh::heh:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cool. Much respect for that. I am a CBS nomad. My style over there was to not talk smack until smack is talked in your direction. (Now that we have cleared it up that you weren't talking smack, it's all good.)

Totally respect your take....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as you remember that you root for a second class team, you are always welcome here. Be careful in our GDTs, though, especially when we are losing. We become a bit rabid when the other team gloats in our threads :)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. Much respect for that. I am a CBS nomad. My style over there was to not talk smack until smack is talked in your direction. (Now that we have cleared it up that you weren't talking smack, it's all good.)

Totally respect your take....

I think this was a big disconnect with Hammer; we are basically a smack free board. We give each other crap from time to time, but there isn't any of that Disneyesque "MY TEAM RULZ and YOUR TEAM SUX" stuff here.

Unfortunately, Hammer didn't get that at first and we lost a poster or two b/c of his in-your-face style which is the dominant one on sports boards (as the bolded illustrates).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you remember that you root for a second class team, you are always welcome here. Be careful in our GDTs, though, especially when we are losing. We become a bit rabid when the other team gloats in our threads :)

True, b/c that is essentially trolling.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good. And, I know I am more exception than rule when it comes to fandom.

Let me see if you can give me this though. I lived in So Cal until I was 15 ( i'm old and crusty now ), but moved to the S.F bay area, and have lived there since. That said, I kept my fandom (as you can see by my avatar area ), as I don't believe in switching alleginces after one has already picked their teams.

And, it would have been very easy for me to quit and "go to the dark side", but I didn't, and take abuse pretty regular around here because of it

You're a true fan, I could respect that (I will still make fun of your team though)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there are mostly Warriors fans here, but I need to give a huge S/O to the SACRAMENTO Kings. Us fans went through some kind of hell, on the level of the McCourts/Dodgers situation (except their team was never going to leave LA and I never sympathize for Dodger fans). Mr. Mayor Kevin Johnson deserves to have a statue built for him at the new arena.

Looking forward to some good Warrior/Kings games in the coming decades.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there are mostly Warriors fans here, but I need to give a huge S/O to the SACRAMENTO Kings. Us fans went through some kind of hell, on the level of the McCourts/Dodgers situation (except their team was never going to leave LA and I never sympathize for Dodger fans). Mr. Mayor Kevin Johnson deserves to have a statue built for him at the new arena.

Looking forward to some good Warrior/Kings games in the coming decades.

As long as they don't draft a ball-dominant, shoot-first point guard or a guy that is certain he is a power forward, with range, they should be fine. ;)

Sorry. Warrior fans so rarely get to make fun of other NBA fans... and the season just ended... and the off-season will be relatively uneventful. Still, good fans deserve to have a team, and there are some good sports fans up there.

Seattle will show that they are deserving, too. Someone just needs to tell them, they aren't at Key Arena, they're playing NBA Jam. Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp didn't suddenly grow larger heads, you're stoned in your mom's basement.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they don't draft a ball-dominant, shoot-first point guard or a guy that is certain he is a power forward, with range, they should be fine. ;)

Sorry. Warrior fans so rarely get to make fun of other NBA fans... and the season just ended... and the off-season will be relatively uneventful. Still, good fans deserve to have a team, and there are some good sports fans up there.

Seattle will show that they are deserving, too. Someone just needs to tell them, they aren't at Key Arena, they're playing NBA Jam. Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp didn't suddenly grow larger heads, you're stoned in your mom's basement.

The team is still a mess, no doubt about that. But at least there is hope now. There is a few guys in the draft that would be good fits, there are also teams out there willing to give up some good talent to have a chance at them too. But you'll be able to poke fun for at least 1 more year probably. As long as they trade Jimmer, I'll be happy.

Sounds like we are looking into the Warriors organization to fill some of our executive jobs; Chris Mullen and Travis Schlenk (your assistant GM) as GM candidates, Michael Malone (your assistant coach) as a potential head coach. Not surprising given Ranadive's now former share with the Dubs.

Seattle deserves an expansion team, they clearly showed they were still a great NBA city, and frankly I hope they get a team because it would automatically create a natural rival between Sac and Seattle. The reason they didn't get the team was because Sac showed exactly why they shouldn't lose a team, met every demand the NBA had.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a bball fan, so please excuse the ignorance I am about to display...

Didn't the Kings sale just get officially announced today? The new owners are already leaking names that they are looking at for FO jobs?

That is fast moving...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a bball fan, so please excuse the ignorance I am about to display...

Didn't the Kings sale just get officially announced today? The new owners are already leaking names that they are looking at for FO jobs?

That is fast moving...

Well frankly, Sacramento had this won back in early April, pretty much the moment David Stern said the Sacramento group needed to raise their offer in order to compete with the Seattle offer. They knew it. Sounds strange, and I could explain it if you guys like but I doubt you guys care that much about it.

Basically, they knew they've had this in the bag and that the Maloofs would eventually sell to the Sac group, so their coaching search has been on for awhile now. They already have some ticket plans ready and will open season ticket sales next Tuesday. They were expected to be MONTHS behind in that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is still a mess, no doubt about that. But at least there is hope now. There is a few guys in the draft that would be good fits, there are also teams out there willing to give up some good talent to have a chance at them too. But you'll be able to poke fun for at least 1 more year probably. As long as they trade Jimmer, I'll be happy.

Sounds like we are looking into the Warriors organization to fill some of our executive jobs; Chris Mullen and Travis Schlenk (your assistant GM) as GM candidates, Michael Malone (your assistant coach) as a potential head coach. Not surprising given Ranadive's now former share with the Dubs.

Seattle deserves an expansion team, they clearly showed they were still a great NBA city, and frankly I hope they get a team because it would automatically create a natural rival between Sac and Seattle. The reason they didn't get the team was because Sac showed exactly why they shouldn't lose a team, met every demand the NBA had.

Huh? The natural rivalry is with the San Franci..., no, Oakla...no, Golden State Warriors. The Seattle rivalry is Portland. However, if you are thinking it is a natural rivalry because of the ownership group, I guess. But the ownership group only fills so many luxury suites. :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? The natural rivalry is with the San Franci..., no, Oakla...no, Golden State Warriors. The Seattle rivalry is Portland. However, if you are thinking it is a natural rivalry because of the ownership group, I guess. But the ownership group only fills so many luxury suites. :D

Dude, look at history.

That Giants/Rays rivalry is one of the most brutal in all of sports.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, both teams would be a little more hyped up when they played each other, fans want to prove that they got the better end of the deal, want to be able to boast about having the better team, better arena, better deal.