• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota #1? Why not?!

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either do away with divisions or have USC/UCLA in the West and bump a couple of the other teams over to the East.... Purdue and Illinois or Northwestern would make the most sense of they want to do it geographically

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to eliminate divisions when they add the PAC teams
After this season, I pretty much agree.

But if for some insane reason they only add those 2, moving NW or Purdue to the East and adding USC/UCLA to the West would even things out some. Iowa and Wisconsin are not going to stay down for long, and now it seems the Illini have found a capable coach and Nebraska could as well? If UCLA's season continues as well as it started, that could change their trajectory going forward and USC's great start won't stop the trajectory they are on.

Despite UMn losing their last two games, I still think Fleck has them on an upward trajectory, but even if I am wrong, nothing wrong with having one or two easy wins in a Division and sending NW or Purdue to the East would give them at least 2 easy wins most years. Minnesota would have to suck in order for the West to have 2 easy wins if Nebraska rises back up and USC/UCLA are added.

But since I am 99.99% sure that there is no way in hell the B1G stops adding more Pac teams, all this talk of what to do after adding just these 2 is a waste of time. Three more from the Pac and a 4th from who knows where, I'm sure Notre Dame is their hope to fill that spot, are sure to follow and then there won't be anymore divisions but instead 4 scheduling pods and seeing as every other conference either already has or soon will give up on Divisions, the B1G will as well, if not as soon as USC/UCLA join up, then either sooner, like next year or after they figure out who else is joining up, which should be before USC/UCLA make the jump officially and physically start playing a B1G schedule.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think when you have like 20 damn teams you can't balance a schedule enough to have divisions. Take the two best teams and let's go to the CCG.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either do away with divisions or have USC/UCLA in the West and bump a couple of the other teams over to the East.... Purdue and Illinois or Northwestern would make the most sense of they want to do it geographically
If the B-10 decides to stick with divisions - which I doubt they will do - then it makes the most sense to move Purdue to the East to join their sibling, Indiana. The East would still be the heavy division, with the likes of Ohio St., Michigan & Penn St. (most years, anyway). The West would likely continue to be Flavor-of-the-Month, with various teams taking turns semi-dominating the division.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this season, I pretty much agree.

But if for some insane reason they only add those 2, moving NW or Purdue to the East and adding USC/UCLA to the West would even things out some. Iowa and Wisconsin are not going to stay down for long, and now it seems the Illini have found a capable coach and Nebraska could as well? If UCLA's season continues as well as it started, that could change their trajectory going forward and USC's great start won't stop the trajectory they are on.

Despite UMn losing their last two games, I still think Fleck has them on an upward trajectory, but even if I am wrong, nothing wrong with having one or two easy wins in a Division and sending NW or Purdue to the East would give them at least 2 easy wins most years. Minnesota would have to suck in order for the West to have 2 easy wins if Nebraska rises back up and USC/UCLA are added.

But since I am 99.99% sure that there is no way in hell the B1G stops adding more Pac teams, all this talk of what to do after adding just these 2 is a waste of time. Three more from the Pac and a 4th from who knows where, I'm sure Notre Dame is their hope to fill that spot, are sure to follow and then there won't be anymore divisions but instead 4 scheduling pods and seeing as every other conference either already has or soon will give up on Divisions, the B1G will as well, if not as soon as USC/UCLA join up, then either sooner, like next year or after they figure out who else is joining up, which should be before USC/UCLA make the jump officially and physically start playing a B1G schedule.
Actually, there is a good chance the B10 doesn't add more teams any time soon because the various tv networks that ponied up all that cash for the new contracts are not currently willing to pump out more money. The Big 10's two main reasons for adding teams is to try to keep up with the SEC on a competitive level & to make giant gobs of money. Adding more teams at this point would mean each school would get a smaller split of the pie.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, there is a good chance the B10 doesn't add more teams any time soon because the various tv networks that ponied up all that cash for the new contracts are not currently willing to pump out more money. The Big 10's two main reasons for adding teams is to try to keep up with the SEC on a competitive level & to make giant gobs of money. Adding more teams at this point would mean each school would get a smaller split of the pie.
Well the B1G isn’t going to add because the only Pac 12 team they would want is Stanford and that is to force Notre Dame to join. Oregon is begging to get in and the B1G seems smart enough to realize Portland isn’t a market and if Washington goes they don’t capture the Seattle market.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the B1G isn’t going to add because the only Pac 12 team they would want is Stanford and that is to force Notre Dame to join. Oregon is begging to get in and the B1G seems smart enough to realize Portland isn’t a market and if Washington goes they don’t capture the Seattle market.
Add in that with Oregon you get one of the worst Research Universities in the P5 and as soon as Uncle Phil kicks the bucket then Oregon could slide back into being a trash program like they were before Phil's blood money bought them some moderate success.

I disagree about Washington, I think the B1G would love to add Washington, but they'd need to pair them with someone and that would mean most likely taking in Oregon, so that makes the idea far less attractive of an idea.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add in that with Oregon you get one of the worst Research Universities in the P5 and as soon as Uncle Phil kicks the bucket then Oregon could slide back into being a trash program like they were before Phil's blood money bought them some moderate success.

I disagree about Washington, I think the B1G would love to add Washington, but they'd need to pair them with someone and that would mean most likely taking in Oregon, so that makes the idea far less attractive of an idea.
What is your problem with the Nike contract? Who gives a fuck if a bunch of third world children makes shoes?

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota's now ranked...

#1 in Total Offense
#1 in Total Defense
#1 in Time of Possession
#1 in 1st Down Offense, they are listed #6, but all 5 teams ahead of them are only ahead of them because of playing 5 games.
#1 in 1st Down Defense
#1 in 4th Down Conversion %, that's how they list them but I'd rank them 11th
#1 in 4th Down Conversion % Defense, that's how they list them but I'd rank them 5th
#1 in Red Zone Offense, they're listed as tied with 33 other tms, but all but Vandy have fewer than UMn's & Vandy's 13 of 13 attempts.
#1 in Red Zone Defense if you consider they are the only team to only allow an opponent into the Red Zone only once. And they only got into the red zone because of a bs ticky tack roughing the passer call when the Gopher was trying to sack the q/b on 3rd down which would have put them out of fg range.

#2 in 3rd Down Conversion %
#2 in 3rd Down Conversion % Defense
#2 in Rushing Offense
#2 in Scoring Defense
#2 in Fewest Penalties
#3 in Rushing Defense
#5 in Passing Yards Allowed
#5 in Passing Yards Per Completion
#7 in Scoring Offense
#8 in Team Passing Efficiency Defense

#16 in Team Passing Efficiency
#20 in Completion %

#38 in Passing Offense

And our kicker is ranked #1 in fg percentage, tied with 41 others, he's gone 3 for 3, only 10 players have not missed while kicking more fgs. He's also ranked #1 in extra point attempts, going 13 for 13 in extra point attempts, and he might have the most extra points in the country right now as well.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of connections to both the state and University of Minnesota and am a big Gophers fan, but the stat that matters is won-loss and they're currently 5-3. I expect a 7-5 finish and a decent bowl game, but they'll be doing well if they end the season ranked.

That's my 2 cents, now back to your interesting alternate reality.