• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota #1? Why not?!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 Recruiting class rank, Iowa 41 MN 48
2020 Iowa 35 MN 38
2021 Iowa 24 MN 38
2022 Iowa 30 MN 49
2023 Iowa 28 MN 38

Claeys last class was ranked 46. Fleck has moved the needle about 4 spots in recruiting
Recruiting rankings are practically meaningless when you are only talking about 3 spots in 2020, 7 in 2019, even the 10 in 2023, and you'd understand this if you truly understood how they determine the recruiting rankings, and if a team/coaching staff is good at evaluating talent and also developing talent, it can easily overcome large recruiting ranking differences, also recruiting rankings don't take into account transfers.

And if all you look at is the recruiting rank of Claeys and Fleck and think that is all a person needs to know to determine whether or not a team has improved under Fleck or not, then you are not very smart, you must be an Iowa graduate/fan, lol.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Fred..., Here's part of an SI article...

Smell Something Burning? It’s Your Season Going Up in Flames​

The entire Big Ten West (9). Did you see the shambles Saturday? And not just Nebraska losing to Georgia Southern. There also was Wisconsin losing at home to Washington State, Northwestern losing at home to Duke, Iowa losing at home to Iowa State. In a mere two weeks, six of the seven teams already have lost (take a bow, 2-0 Minnesota—which has played two chumps).
Well, the SEC East didn't exactly tear up the cfb world, either.

I could see S Car, Vandy & Mizzou all missing out on bowl games this year, and no team other than Georgia getting to double digits in wins.

Not saying the B1G West is going to out perform the SEC East this year, they could also have 3 teams miss out on bowl games, and probably won't get a team into the cfp. Definitely going to be a down year for the Division. I hope I'm wrong as it won't help UMn if both Iowa and Wisconsin suck.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a batshit crazy emoji

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the SEC East didn't exactly tear up the cfb world, either.

I could see S Car, Vandy & Mizzou all missing out on bowl games this year, and no team other than Georgia getting to double digits in wins.

Not saying the B1G West is going to out perform the SEC East this year, they could also have 3 teams miss out on bowl games, and probably won't get a team into the cfp. Definitely going to be a down year for the Division. I hope I'm wrong as it won't help UMn if both Iowa and Wisconsin suck.
I'm a little baffled by that come-back concerning the SEC East.

B1G West so far has played 16 games and are 9-7 overall.
They have played 8 P5 opponents but only 1 is currently ranked (B1G #22 PSU). Against these 8 P5 teams the B1G West teams are 2-6
They have played 3 G5 (all unranked) and are 2-1
.The B1G West plays 7 FCS teams total
They have played 5 FCS teams and are 5-0

B1G West still 9 OOC games to play
Minnestota vs P5 Colorado
Purdue vs P5 Syracuse
Nebraska vs P5 Oklahoma

Iowa vs G5 Nevada
Northwestern vs G5 Miami OH
Purdue vs G5 FL Atlantic
Wisconsin vs G5 New Mexico St

Illinois vs FCS Chattanooga
Northwestern vs FCS S Illinois

For comparison the SEC East so far has played 15 games and are 11-4 overall.
8 P5 (out of 15 total) and 7 are currently ranked (3 SEC teams, 2 ACC (1-1) and 2 PAC (2-0)). Against these 8 teams the SEC is 4-4.
They have played 5 G5 (all unranked) and are 5-0
The SEC East teams play 7 FCS teams total
They have played 2 FCS teams and are 2-0

The SEC East still has 16 OOC games to play
Georgia vs P5 Georgia Tech
Kentucky vs P5 Louisville
South Carolina vs P5 #5 Clemson
Florida vs P5 Florida St

Georgia vs G5 Kent
Kentucky vs G5 N Illinois
Tennessee vs G5 Akron
Florida vs G5 South Florida
South Carolina vs G5 Charlotte
Missouri vs G5 New Mexico St
Vanderbilt vs G5 N Illinois

South Carolina vs FCS South Carolina St
Florida vs FCS E Washington
Kentucky vs FCS Youngstown St
Missouri vs FCS Abilene Chr
Tennessee vs FCS Tenn Martin

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't bring up NDSU. An NDSU fan brought them up and tried claiming they are equal to Minnesota right now.

I've done two things, proved that the Minnesota teams NDSU played were nothing close to the UMn teams under Kill or Fleck other than maybe each of their first seasons.

And also showing how NDSU is practically an fbs team who simply plays in an inferior division.

NDSU produces several nfl players. More than a ton of fbs teams.
NDSU isn't equal to Minnesota. They are better than Minnesota.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they are not. They struggled to beat the Gophers the year UMn went 1-11.

Good thing covid saved your dumbass ducks from getting beat by them.

Would have been a good game. Unlike Minnesota, NDSU knows how to win.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting rankings are practically meaningless when you are only talking about 3 spots in 2020, 7 in 2019, even the 10 in 2023, and you'd understand this if you truly understood how they determine the recruiting rankings, and if a team/coaching staff is good at evaluating talent and also developing talent, it can easily overcome large recruiting ranking differences, also recruiting rankings don't take into account transfers.

And if all you look at is the recruiting rank of Claeys and Fleck and think that is all a person needs to know to determine whether or not a team has improved under Fleck or not, then you are not very smart, you must be an Iowa graduate/fan, lol.
.024 improvement. Huge difference.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 5 non covid affected seasons and 2 games this year, Oregon hasn't won any more games than Minnesota, but they have lost more.

Minnesota plays in the weakest P5 division and still hasn't won their division.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota plays in the weakest P5 division and still hasn't won their division.
It's not the weakest division, it's produced more AP Top 25 teams than both the Pac North and South, lol. Dumbsh1t

Also produced more than at least one of the ACC Divisions, if not both, and is basically tied with the lesser of the SEC Divisions.

Boglodyte

2 things that make life worth living, guns/cigars
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fred’s theme song

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should maybe take my posts and Minnesota more seriously seeing as all the evidence points to UMn being the team OSU will have to play and beat in the Conf Title game and to get into the cfp.

Who the hell has Minnesota played so far? Again nobody.

Seems that you're guaranteeing the Gophers will make it to the conference title game. Alrighty then.

And you deserve any shit thrown your way because you're the single worst homer on this site.

You're a one man clown show.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell has Minnesota played so far? Again nobody.

Seems that you're guaranteeing the Gophers will make it to the conference title game. Alrighty then.

And you deserve any shit thrown your way because you're the single worst homer on this site.

You're a one man clown show.
Since when did teams need to play someone to get ranked???

Ever heard of the Pre-season polls?

Who the hell has USC played? Beating Rice and Stanford earned them Top Ten? STFU

Who has Texas A&M played? Beating Sam Houston and LOSING to App St earned them Top 25? STFU

Who has Ohio St played, for that matter? Arkansas St and a winless Notre Dame that lost to Marshall? That earned OSU Top 3 status? Hell, you were even bitching about not being rated higher, lol.

Who has Bama played? Utah St and an unranked, at the time, Texas, who they barely beat. That earned them Top 2 status?

Who has Michigan played? Hawaii and Col St? That earned them Top 4 status?

Dude, I could do this for at least half of the Top 25. No one has ever "needed" to play anyone, or even win games, apparently, to get ranked. So stfu

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when did teams need to play someone to get ranked???

Ever heard of the Pre-season polls?

Who the hell has USC played? Beating Rice and Stanford earned them Top Ten? STFU

Who has Texas A&M played? Beating Sam Houston and LOSING to App St earned them Top 25? STFU

Who has Ohio St played, for that matter? Arkansas St and a winless Notre Dame that lost to Marshall? That earned OSU Top 3 status? Hell, you were even bitching about not being rated higher, lol.

Here's what you choose to ignore. No other CFB fans overly pimp up their team in the nonstop absurd manner that you do. And one of the teams your Gophers beat was a FCS team (W.Illinois).

I tried to be rational with you yesterday. I knew that was a mistake but I thought I'd give it one more try.

"ever heard of pre-season polls?"

You think they mean anything? The top 25 means nothing until after the CCG's. It's just something for people to talk about during the season.

Your nonstop irrationality is one of kind.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what you choose to ignore. No other CFB fans overly pimp up their team in the nonstop absurd manner that you do. And one of the teams your Gophers beat was a FCS team (W.Illinois).

I tried to be rational with you yesterday. I knew that was a mistake but I thought I'd give it one more try.

"ever heard of pre-season polls?"

You think they mean anything? The top 25 means nothing until after the CCG's. It's just something for people to talk about during the season.

Your nonstop irrationality is one of kind.
Polls matter, how do you not know this? Including the pre-season polls, as beating teams ranked in the preseason polls are how teams move up into the polls or how teams in the polls stay in the polls.

Nothing irrational about me.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota sucks ASS

and not just the Gophers

the entire state