• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minkah Fitzpatrick Now A Steeler

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THREE things that are very important to note here...
  • Week 1 the Dolphins were installing an entirely new defense. SO his 2018 stats weigh much more heavily on the sort of player he is than just week 1 of 2019.
  • Not only was this an entirely new defense week 1 for the Fins, but they have been turning over the roster for the past few months. A lot of the starters on that defense week 1 were last minute check-ins. 3/4 of the D-lineman were brand new starters lol. Looked like a JV squad rushing the passer. The secondary was hung out to dry before the game even started.
  • Minkah was playing slot CB week 1 when he got roasted by Marquise Brown. Fin Fans had been clamoring for him to transition back to safety, his most natural position.
Loads of red flags there so I don't know how anyone could conclude that Minkah wasn't worth the trade based off 1 week of play. That's just absurd that whoever wrote that review didn't account for any of this. Let me guess, WF?
i disagree with the take on that part. it was WF. But I fully agree with his take on the top 10 pick. i dunno man, mason better be the real deal, i think he can be, so im optimistic. if he is, then this is great, if he isnt, this is horrid, huge gamble

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree with the take on that part. it was WF. But I fully agree with his take on the top 10 pick. i dunno man, mason better be the real deal, i think he can be, so im optimistic. if he is, then this is great, if he isnt, this is horrid, huge gamble
Well yea I think we all have made that abundantly clear time & time again... If they don't finish well this season then it makes this trade look worse.

As far as Minkah not "being worth a 1st Rd draft choice at this point"... Based off 1 game.... That's utter bullshit.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yea I think we all have made that abundantly clear time & time again... If they don't finish well this season then it makes this trade look worse.

As far as Minkah not "being worth a 1st Rd draft choice at this point"... Based off 1 game.... That's utter bullshit.
Absolutely is. I fully think he’s worth it I’m debating that. I’m happy to have him. Like I said this an class is propped to be the best since bens class. Although soMe stars are falling and some are rising. It just a would suck to miss out. But if they think Rudolph can ball. Let’s go.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely is. I fully think he’s worth it I’m debating that. I’m happy to have him. Like I said this an class is propped to be the best since bens class. Although soMe stars are falling and some are rising. It just a would suck to miss out. But if they think Rudolph can ball. Let’s go.
Next year's draft capital looks like crap right now...

1- 2nd Rd Pick (wherever PIT ends up)
2- 4th Rd Pick (wherever MIA ends up)
3- 4th Rd pick (wherever PIT ends up)
4- 4th Rd Pick (wherever TEN ends up)
5- 6th Rd Pick (wherever PIT ends up)
6- 7th Rd Pick (wherever PIT ends up)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major point on this trade that many of the naysayers are not taking into account.

On the surface...this trade does lose a lot of it's sex appeal when Ben went down, no question there. There is also the potential for this to be a top 5 or top 10 pick.

• The Steelers FO and staff think and have thought for some time that Rudolph is starting caliber talent. That remains to be seen of course, but given the patience this organization has shown, and coupled with the fact that they also think Ben is returning next year, it's highly unlikely they would've used ANY top 5 or top 10 pick on a QB in the 2020 draft.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ha exactly thats what i was getting at.....were sunk if mason isnt it.......

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major point on this trade that many of the naysayers are not taking into account.

On the surface...this trade does lose a lot of it's sex appeal when Ben went down, no question there. There is also the potential for this to be a top 5 or top 10 pick.

• The Steelers FO and staff think and have thought for some time that Rudolph is starting caliber talent. That remains to be seen of course, but given the patience this organization has shown, and coupled with the fact that they also think Ben is returning next year, it's highly unlikely they would've used ANY top 5 or top 10 pick on a QB in the 2020 draft.
personally, i know they are "saying" ben is coming back.........but im not so sure. I think there have been talks behind closed doors already. Again, what is told to the public and reality are two different things. A 37 year old, injury prone qb....injured throwing arm, tough to come back from......

lets face it.....if mason sucks, then maybe he tries.......but if mason does very well, they are not gonna bench him for ben........at this stage in their careers. It would be time for rudolph to take over.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we can find "some" solace in the fact that Ben could return and try to be our huckleberry once more if they do plummet this year.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1a. Minkah Fitzpatrick, already with 1 year of experience in the system.
2a. Possible 3rd round Comp pick for Bell

And Minkah comes cheap, without the signing bonus, so the Steelers have more money to spend to retain talent, or sign FA.

Wildcard: Whatever picks the Raiders give to Pitt for Moncrief or Switzer this offseason.

Reactions: GNG

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, i know they are "saying" ben is coming back.........but im not so sure. I think there have been talks behind closed doors already. Again, what is told to the public and reality are two different things. A 37 year old, injury prone qb....injured throwing arm, tough to come back from......

lets face it.....if mason sucks, then maybe he tries.......but if mason does very well, they are not gonna bench him for ben........at this stage in their careers. It would be time for rudolph to take over.

All true, but the point is...the Steelers made this decision based on several things...1, they feel pretty good about the back up QB, they don't think they are a 4-12 kind of team with Rudolph running the show.

Even if he struggles and say they are 4-12 or 6-10, I don't think they would go and draft Tua or one of the other QBs at the top of this draft...should they? That's another debate, but they're probably going to give Rudolph more than 14 games to determine if he can be the long term starter...imo that pick would've gone to edge rusher, S, or maybe a WR.

On Ben...I tend to agree that most of what's being said right now means nothing, surgeries don't always go as planned, but I'm sure the Steelers have talked to medical people and they think there's a good chance for him to return. If they knew this was career ending, they are looking higher for a QB in this upcoming draft, but I still don't think they would be looking to go QB in the 1st round.

As @FaCe-LeE-uS said, the status of this trade hinges on the production of Rudolph, but he would have to be really really bad for them to turn to a draft pick in the 2020 draft.

I like the trade regardless, they're getting a kid with 3 yrs remaining on his rookie deal that's ready to play now at arguably the weakest position on the team (keep in mind, an UDFA made this team at that position). At the same time, I recognize that not everyone agrees with that line of thinking.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Minkah comes cheap, without the signing bonus, so the Steelers have more money to spend to retain talent, or sign FA.

Wildcard: Whatever picks the Raiders give to Pitt for Moncrief or Switzer this offseason.
Good points on 1a & 2a. Completely forgot about the comp pick.

Side question... Because I always forget... What are the rules for comp picks again? Concerned about the Steve Nelson acquisition. I know the acquisition of FAs can make comp picks obsolete.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Steelers trade for Eli?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mason leads to the team to a 9-7 or say 7-9 record and Ben is still iffy next year...Mason will be the starter in 2020. They're going to give him at least 2 seasons imo. I don't see them pulling the plug on him after this one year unless Ben is ready to come back.

2021 I could see them aiming high for a QB if Rudolph can't show them enough over 14 games this year and 16 in 2020.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason leads to the team to a 9-7 or say 7-9 record and Ben is still iffy next year...Mason will be the starter in 2020. They're going to give him at least 2 seasons imo. I don't see them pulling the plug on him after this one year unless Ben is ready to come back.

2021 I could see them aiming high for a QB if Rudolph can't show them enough over 14 games this year and 16 in 2020.
Yeah I suppose ur right. It’s just the right year to draft one. See what happens

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I suppose ur right. It’s just the right year to draft one. See what happens

Yep...I think the WAS qb Eason, that transferred from UGA will be 2021, and likely Lawrence from Clem.

I’m not that high on Tua as a pro to be honest...he’s good, don’t get me wrong, but a bit wreckless with the ball sometimes and he won’t get away with that at the next level.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...I think the WAS qb Eason, that transferred from UGA will be 2021, and likely Lawrence from Clem.

I’m not that high on Tua as a pro to be honest...he’s good, don’t get me wrong, but a bit wreckless with the ball sometimes and he won’t get away with that at the next level.
agree, and his arm is strong, but not beastly. Herbert was the better prospect, but hes not lighting it up either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, and his arm is strong, but not beastly. Herbert was the better prospect, but hes not lighting it up either.

This is crystalballish for sure but right now today I think I would take Rudolph with 14 games under his belt into 2020 if Ben can’t go over Tua or Hebert.

He seemed to have taken a big step in decision making...he just needs to get the support around him...especially the running game and the DEF.