• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan State @ Iowa

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

I'll give you the point that every game on Iowa's schedule is winnable. But you'll have to acknowledge that Iowa could lose all of those games as well. I don't think Iowa wins them all but I also don't think Iowa loses them all either. The Purdue game jumps out at me as a game that Iowa can win. The rest, I'm not so certain.

I've got many concerns - now - with Iowa's offense. For having a strong O-Line, they sure couldn't open any holes for the running game against MSU. The passing game, far too many short completions under 5-yards that continue to be ineffective. I heard Chuck Long talk about how Iowa's WRs weren't fast enough to get open against MSU's secondary. Let's apply that to the rest of Iowa's schedule......

And we still are waiting to see how Iowa's defense shuts down better offenses than MSU's in the B1G! One thing is for certain, Iowa's defense made a mediocre QB look real good last Saturday. What will Northwestern's QBs do against Iowa's defense.

Iowa's special teams...a complete mystery.

All that is left to consider is the coaching staff and their abilities leading up to, and on, game days.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz has never went undefeated, so let's call the homecoming game an anomaly, like 2002 ISU, or 2009 NW. Maybe at the end of the year we'll look back and say MSU was a hiccup to greatness?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops, you and Chuck Long do realize that Powell runs a 4.38 40.... right? I think that the play calling in the second half was horrible. How can the offensive line open holes when you abandon the run in the first half?? Last season MSU held Iowa's running game in check until the 4th quarter, when Iowa wore them down. This season we didn't run the ball period. Iowa is fine offensively, I'm more worried about our secondary...

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried about our secondary when I constantly watch Lowery get burned. He is feast or famine out there. Next year he could be the lockdown corner Hyde was, but right now, he looks like Castillo more than Hyde.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowery is a senior, right? I think Draper and King will be our starters next year. I think Lowery has a ton of talent, just doesn't seem to have football smarts and gets burned on standard hitch routes.

WTF happened to Nico Law? I remember thinking he was holding his own out there not too long ago, haven't seen much of him lately. We also have a ton of young DBs on the roster, 14 Fr or Sophs.

Since we are solid at O-line, QB, WR (assuming Kevonte is back), RB, D-Line and LB, we really need our weaknesses - TE, secondary, special teams and coaching to step up every Saturday. If any one or two of those is off we seem to play poorly.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Yes, I do know that Powell runs real fast (surely Long does too). Powell is listed where exactly on the depth chart 3rd, 4th, 5th? Based off of the depth chart for the MSU game, Powell isn't listed. At the SE position it goes Tevaun Smith then Don Shumpert. At the WR position, it goes KMM, Jacob Hillyer, or Jordan Cotton. So, Powell isn't being utilized as much during games. But YES, does have BLAZING SPEED which the offense needs! And your point about all of the dump downs under 5 yards is what exactly? And you listed one WR that runs fast. The others seem to be your classic possession WRs that can create space to get open, secure the catch, and as a bonus - gain additional yards/keep the chains moving.

Aaron, what holes did the O-Line open up in the 1st half of that game? They had opportunities. Saturday's game was a game that needed Iowa to pass the ball down field - first - in order to get the running game going. But, as we all saw, MSU stacked the box to stop the run because they were going to let Rudock beat their secondary - which he didn't do. Now, the rest of Iowa's opponents saw the formula that MSU used very effectively.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I would agree with your post here. Especially about the weaknesses that you identified. I've been wondering where Law is at as well. Any one know of an injury? Transfer?? Left the program???

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Law plays special teams and sees the field on dime sets. I don't kmow why he doesn't play, he's a freak athlete.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same old KF crap, loyalty over talent...Law should be playing, just my opinion, he didn't kiss enough butt maybe

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same old KF crap, loyalty over talent...Law should be playing, just my opinion, he didn't kiss enough butt maybe

This would be my guess too. Maybe doesn't hustle enough in practice or was caught with a cellphone in the locker room....who knows. Or maybe the coaches got a hard-on after that Lowery one-handed interception a few games ago.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowery one handed interception, but Lowery burnt twice in same game. Next game, Lowery 2 pick 6's in a game we didn't need them, Next Game, Lowery burnt twice in a game we couldn't afford that.

Feast or Famine.

I also go with the loyalty and practice hustle. If it showed up in practice he'd be in during the game. Ferentz plays players(talent or not) based on practice, hell Weisman only got to be tailback due to injuries, even though he's the best we got..and after several games of seeing what he's capable of doing(last year), did they decide to keep him there. Guaranteed if after 2 games any of the starters came back, we'd have watched Weisman slide back down the depth chart....meaning Loyalty over talent here.