• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McCutchen wins MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we have him signed :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well deserved imho

I tried telling the Dback fans weeks ago A-Mc would win it......but they all swore I was wrong for not picking Goldy.

Miguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers, Andrew McCutchen of Pittsburgh Pirates win MLB MVPs - ESPN

I think a lot of the folks who picked Goldy buy into the OPS weighting of hits as opposed to the wOBA weighting. The type of hit matters a lot more in OPS, whereas wOBA is more driven by the statistically more important component of not making outs. Goldy had a huge edge in OPS, but only a very narrow one in wOBA. When you factor in baserunning (Cutch in a landslide) and defense (Cutch by a little, thanks to positional adjustment), McCutchen overall had the better season.

It's actually interesting to me. In the AL, the all-hitting guy won. In the NL, the all-around player won. In both cases, the player who made the playoffs won. I think it's kind of a comment on how the voters prioritize factors.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Park factors are also significant, as Goldschmidt played in a home run neutral (or thereabouts) park for half his games, whereas McCutchen played in a home-run suppressing park (only Marlins Park was worse) for half of his, which means we have to take the size of the home run gap with a grain of salt. Obviously, Goldy has more power than McCutchen, but their home run totals are deceiving in terms of how great that discrepancy is.

Interestingly, PNC park was also very hard on doubles, with only three fields suppressing doubles more, a little below average in triples and walks, and overall was just hard to score runs in.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Cutch.

Really surprised Goldschmidt and Molina didn't get more 1st place votes.