• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McClendon Out...

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest factor in a winning formula for Dipoto will be finding the right manager that he feels fit and stick with the guy. By that I mean find a manager that's going to be stick around 4-5-6 years down the road and allow the team to build some consistencies. One of the main reasons why the M's struggled over the last decade is not only because they failed to put the talents out there but it's also the inconsistencies at the managerial position. This was the biggest failure in the Bavasi and Zduriencik tenures.

I agree that this team is very close to winning and it's why you have guys like Felix and Cano who isn't exactly thrilled by McClendon's departure. Maybe he does deserve at least one year under Dipoto.
yeah I agree with that. If the manager and Dipoto are on the same page and the manager is implementing what Dipoto is trying to do then it should lead to success. However we don't yet know that Dipoto will actually be able to pull off what he says he will.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns ‏@GregJohnsMLB 6h6 hours ago

Dipoto on McClendon: "After extensive conversations it became clear to me that our baseball philosophies were not closely aligned."

That kind of goes for every GM. Lloyd doesn't have a philosophy as a manager. Granted Jack didn't fill the cupboard for him but what would you classify his managerial style? It's not old school, not new school, not a players manager...so what is it?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Bowden ESPN Insider

Mariners managerial considerations for candidates include: Tim Bogar, Charlie Montoya, Bud Black, Alex Cora, Joey Cora and Dave Roberts amongst a strong and wide pool of qualified options according to a source. Mariners intention to have a thorough and complete process to hire best person for team with baseball compatibility with front office giving Mariners best opportunity to bringing a championship to Seattle.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Joey been interviewed for the job ever since Bob Melvin's tenure ended? I truly don't care who they hire, I just want to see an actual philosophy and direction for the organization. Don't draft and develop for pitching and defense then flip it and start putting good defensive players in positions that make them bad defensive players.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kind of goes for every GM. Lloyd doesn't have a philosophy as a manager. Granted Jack didn't fill the cupboard for him but what would you classify his managerial style? It's not old school, not new school, not a players manager...so what is it?

Whatever the style was it formed the identity of an extremely poor prepared team that lacked basic fundamentals and awareness in most situations.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news.

As I was saying to my dad, McClendon made some of the worst managerial decisions of any Mariners manager I've ever seen. You could tell he was passionate about trying to build a winning organization, but he was just stupid.

Wish him the best of luck going forward, but I cannot see any circumstances in which this guy leads a team to the playoffs unless he has too much talent around him to fuck it up.

I honestly feel the impact of the manager is not as big as a lot of people think, but it does matter at the margin. Good and bad managerial decisions tend to accumulate over the season and when you look back at it, McClendon has cost us a good handful of wins both years he was here.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As expected. Best of luck to McClendon.

I just saw this chart on ESPN and in the history of the M's.. only Lou Piniella and Lloyd McClendon have a winning record for the Mariners.

smfh.

Oh dont think for one moment that had Lloyd stayed another year, he would've still had a winning record.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could see it coming, Lloyd just doesn't fit this new system at all.

The only system he fits in with is krispy kreme and to be more specific, the one at the tacoma mall. he would fit in there.