• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Forte no shows receiving Brian Piccolo Award

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
embarrassing move on his part. we get you want a new contract but this isn't how you go about it

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy probably doesn't even deserve his current contract. He ran like he had bricks tied to the bottom of his cleets the second half of last season. He's 30, with a lot of mileage, and RB is becoming more and more of a dime-a-dozen position in the NFL. He knows all of this, so he's looking for one last pay day.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c-c-c-chump

make a statement another way

Purple Pimple

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Forte may want to remember Brian Piccolo passed away while trying to play in a sport where he is now seeking an extension worth millions. Class act, that Forte is.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Forte may want to remember Brian Piccolo passed away while trying to play in a sport where he is now seeking an extension worth millions. Class act, that Forte is.

He might get Sayers, but he probably doesn't even know who Piccolo was or what the award means.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might get Sayers, but he probably doesn't even know who Piccolo was or what the award means.

he has been around the team long enough to know who he is. this is a jackass move and deserves a heavy dose of negative publicity

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has been around the team long enough to know who he is. this is a jackass move and deserves a heavy dose of negative publicity

Agree 100%...my point was...some of these younger guys rarely know much about the history of the teams they play on...it's about the dollar, and only about the dollar for some of them....I could be wrong, but I think this is the 2nd contract squawking we've heard from Forte...I know the 1st one was legit, but 30 y/o RB trying to cash out?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%...my point was...some of these younger guys rarely know much about the history of the teams they play on...it's about the dollar, and only about the dollar for some of them....I could be wrong, but I think this is the 2nd contract squawking we've heard from Forte...I know the 1st one was legit, but 30 y/o RB trying to cash out?

oh he isn't getting what he wants that's for sure

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy probably doesn't even deserve his current contract. He ran like he had bricks tied to the bottom of his cleets the second half of last season. He's 30, with a lot of mileage, and RB is becoming more and more of a dime-a-dozen position in the NFL. He knows all of this, so he's looking for one last pay day.
RB is coming back into vogue and will never be dime a dozen for quality. Still the most important position outside of QB.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Forte had a reasonable reason for not showing. I for one won't hang him until all the facts are in. I don't believe his contract had any bearing on not being there. How would that help him get a better contract? Alienate the fans and bosses is not a contract strategy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Forte is saying now on instagram....

So with all these media reports saying I'm skipping "voluntary" W/O to leverage a contract it's time to set the record straight. If the Bears want to give me a contract ext. they will; if they don't they won't. I'm not mad or holding a grudge. I don't operate like that. I'm not there because I'm finishing my third week of rigorous speed training in which we do not do at Halas hall. This was already my plan as of seasons end last year because after evaluating myself (which all players should do) I felt I was missing something. As for missing voluntary minicamp. There is OTA's (phase 2) and mandatory minicamp in which I will be present for. This is not an explanation of guilt. This is an explanation because I value you all as fans. But what I do not value is your opinion on what I should do to best prepare for the season. As for the piccolo award this training trip was planned long before our offseason schedule was released to us. I value this award greatly as it is my second time winning this prestigious award. Unfortunately my decision to work on my body and craft in preparation for the season did not coincide. I've come to realize that this year along with each reception or carry might be my last in a Bears uniform. So with that being said its all LOVE Chicago.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB is coming back into vogue and will never be dime a dozen for quality. Still the most important position outside of QB.

Couldn't be farther on the other side of the spectrum. I do not even feel it has top 15 value amongst the 22 positions on each side. The draft in recent years supports this. To suggest that it is more important than offensive and defensive line to me is asinine.

I believe if you have a top QB and a solid O-line, you could pull guys off of the street and compete to win a SB. Then dump them the next year if need be, and continue making deep playoff runs.

I've been watching New England, New Orleans and Peyton Manning's offenses do this for years. I also watched GB do this in 2010 and win a SB.

It's the Marshawn Lynch's, Adrian Peterson's, etc… that are the dying breed. Not the other way around. You no longer run the ball the majority of the time to set up the pass in this league. If you have a QB who can throw the ball, and a line that can block. It truly just does not matter who you plug in at RB. You need a competent runner, and a competent pass blocker. In the right system, a back who can do both well will be a star. In the wrong one, he will become a cast-off.

Belichick knows the score… "Oh you have a fumbling problem?"… "Oh, you want a raise?"… "Another body please! All I need… another body! I don't care who it is!". Why do you think Blount looks like a pro bowler every time he goes there?

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything Bears right now is depressing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't be farther on the other side of the spectrum. I do not even feel it has top 15 value amongst the 22 positions on each side. The draft in recent years supports this. To suggest that it is more important than offensive and defensive line to me is asinine.

I believe if you have a top QB and a solid O-line, you could pull guys off of the street and compete to win a SB. Then dump them the next year if need be, and continue making deep playoff runs.

I've been watching New England, New Orleans and Peyton Manning's offenses do this for years. I also watched GB do this in 2010 and win a SB.

It's the Marshawn Lynch's, Adrian Peterson's, etc… that are the dying breed. Not the other way around. You no longer run the ball the majority of the time to set up the pass in this league. If you have a QB who can throw the ball, and a line that can block. It truly just does not matter who you plug in at RB. You need a competent runner, and a competent pass blocker. In the right system, a back who can do both well will be a star. In the wrong one, he will become a cast-off.

Belichick knows the score… "Oh you have a fumbling problem?"… "Oh, you want a raise?"… "Another body please! All I need… another body! I don't care who it is!". Why do you think Blount looks like a pro bowler every time he goes there?

Actually you're both kind of right in a way...the year NO won the SB...they had a very good running game...PM won with Edge carrying the rock no wins since for Manninng....

Point...you're right in that teams don't really need a bell cow back, and maybe that's your basic point...but you do need a legit running game to keep the chains moving and to give playaction some credence. Even in this modern pass happy era of the NFL...still gotta have some balance to win it all.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually he is only 29 and won't be 30 until Dec 10. Take an interest man.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You named a lucky few teams with elite QBs. They can get by with less at RB. But every team needs a solid run game to control the ball and rest the D. Like you said rich were on different sides of the spectrum. I believe these last few years proved how important the run game still is and I believe the RB is regaining it's importance around the league. Without a elite QB it still holds major value.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a solid run game is important. IMO, whats equally important is that it takes more than the featured back to establish that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you're both kind of right in a way...the year NO won the SB...they had a very good running game...PM won with Edge carrying the rock no wins since for Manninng....

Point...you're right in that teams don't really need a bell cow back, and maybe that's your basic point...but you do need a legit running game to keep the chains moving and to give playaction some credence. Even in this modern pass happy era of the NFL...still gotta have some balance to win it all.

Manniern pass happy era of the NFL...still gotta have some balance to win it all.[/QUOTE]

Peyton did not win with Edge. He won with Addai and Rhodes. Who also busted after leaving Manning. Edgerin James was clearly a product of playing with Peyton. He was utterly useless in Arizona, I believe he averaged 3.3 YPC without Manning or something. Rhodes busted in Oakland, Addai dropped off the face of the earth without Peyton.

This all goes to my point, which is that YES… you do need a running game. However, I think it's been proven that in a properly functioning offense, the RB you plug in is the least important factor in determining it's efficiency. RB's are interchangeable pieces. They were with the NO team you're speaking of as well.

Is a HOF back like AP or Lynch nice to have? Sure. But they're very rare, and even when they exist. It's simply not worth ponying up the cash to land/keep them. As you can get the production you need to compete for a SB by going out and finding two or three cheap RB's to platoon your backfield.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he is only 29 and won't be 30 until Dec 10. Take an interest man.

Lol… what does "take an interest" mean?

He'll be 30 this season, and his best days are behind him. If he's holding out for more cash, bye Matt. "Find me another body!"