• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin to retire at the end of the season?

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When there is nothing left of a season lost, you always have wild speculation.

I see better than I hear...

After the Bengals’ first losing season since 2010, Lewis is coming under fire and many fans want him out of Cincinnati. On Sunday morning’s Cooley & Kevin show on ESPN 980, host and former Redskins player Chris Cooley suggested this will be Lewis’ last year in Cincinnati.

“From somebody I know in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis will retire at the end of this year, slash, be asked to retire. Which is the only information I know,” Cooley said during hour two of the show (beginning at the 22 minute mark).

Cooley is also theorizing that should Lewis step down in Cincinnati, Paul Guenther could also leave to become the defensive coordinator of the Redskins, unless the Bengals want to hire him as head coach.

Report: Marvin Lewis will retire at end of 2016 season

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there is nothing left of a season lost, you always have wild speculation.

I see better than I hear...

After the Bengals’ first losing season since 2010, Lewis is coming under fire and many fans want him out of Cincinnati. On Sunday morning’s Cooley & Kevin show on ESPN 980, host and former Redskins player Chris Cooley suggested this will be Lewis’ last year in Cincinnati.

“From somebody I know in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis will retire at the end of this year, slash, be asked to retire. Which is the only information I know,” Cooley said during hour two of the show (beginning at the 22 minute mark).

Cooley is also theorizing that should Lewis step down in Cincinnati, Paul Guenther could also leave to become the defensive coordinator of the Redskins, unless the Bengals want to hire him as head coach.

Report: Marvin Lewis will retire at end of 2016 season

I could see this happening. From what I heard, it sounded like he threw ownership under the bus with the AJ Green debacle over the weekend.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for taking our derelict perennial regular season losers and turning them into perennial playoff losers.

and the charity work that you did.

You couldn't get it done here, but that's OK, you still got your ring in Baltimore. now go, before I get emotional.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex and Rob Ryan are available.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two cents on the Marvin situation:

1) Chris Cooley doesn't have any sources in the Cincinnati organization. Nobody does..... Rumors about this franchise are never anything more than ideas planted by motivated parties. Maybe Marvin's agent is planting this story to try to negotiate a buy-out. Maybe he wants his name out there early as an available coach (I could see Marvin trying to coach elsewhere). Maybe Gunther's people are putting it out there to get his name in the mix for DC positions. But I can guarantee that the rumor isn't coming from Katie, Mikey or anyone else in the Brown family.... And they're the ones that make the decision.

2) As much as I am ready for a change, I can't see how this is going to help us. I'm guessing that most of our assistants are still under contract, and I really don't see Mikey wanting to pay the whole crew after firing them. While I'd be okay with retaining the services of Darren Simmons (I think our ST is generally a pretty good unit), I'm ready to move on from Zampese and Pauly G. I think they are both overmatched and don't do much with the talent they have.

3) Even if we can get rid of a few of our assistants, who will be the next head coach? Tom Coughlin would have been a logical choice given that Mikey wanted him the first time. But it's looking like he might return to Jax. Vance Joseph has a Bengals connection and is an emerging name in the coaching ranks, but he doesn't have a ton of experience. Other big names on the coaching market will be Patriots assistants (and they will fail per usual), a guy named Jim Bob Cooter, and dudes that failed previously like Todd Haley and Jim Schwartz.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hilarious to have Pacman, Burfict, Rex and Rob on the same squad.

Might as well go full retard. Well, we're probably already there. Lets call it retard squared.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My joke candidate is Jeff Fisher. How bengals would it be to go from Marvin to Fisher.
My ideal candidate would be Coughlin for 2 years. He would straighten this team right out.
My semi-serious candidate. As much as I hate this guy, I think it could work here, and that's Josh McDaniels. Assuming he likes one of our QB's, he has a good offensive mind, this team does have some good offensive players, and most importantly there's no way he would ever get any control over personnel here, so there would be little chance of him screwing up the the roster like he did in Denver.

The most realistic candidates Guenther, Jim Haslett, Leslie Frazier

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My joke candidate is Jeff Fisher. How bengals would it be to go from Marvin to Fisher.
My ideal candidate would be Coughlin for 2 years. He would straighten this team right out.
My semi-serious candidate. As much as I hate this guy, I think it could work here, and that's Josh McDaniels. Assuming he likes one of our QB's, he has a good offensive mind, this team does have some good offensive players, and most importantly there's no way he would ever get any control over personnel here, so there would be little chance of him screwing up the the roster like he did in Denver.

It's Guenther. It HAS to be. We all know it. Nothing to see here,

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis isn't leaving. Even if he does, the Brown family won't hire a legitimate replacement.

We are stuck until Mikey finally croaks and hopefully Katie sells the team. By then we have wasted the primes of Dalton, Green and others.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Norv Turner would be a Bengals type pick as well.

Don't sleep on Ray Horton - He's a former Bengal and he'd come cheap.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder what the perception of the Bengals job is around the league. There's obviously the Mike Brown stigma for being cheap, but you get a roster with some blue chip talent at key spots, a QB you can win with on a cost effective contact, and unprecedented job security.
If they go the coordinator route Jim Bob Cooter has an amazing name and has done an impressive job turning Stafford around in Detroit.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two cents on the Marvin situation:

1) Chris Cooley doesn't have any sources in the Cincinnati organization.

Most folks I know in the D.C. area think he subscribes to the "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" School of reporting. Dude has nothing.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well so much for that...here's the audio. Just says he'll be back...doesn't say specifically with the Bengals though.

Audio:

Last edited:

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most folks I know in the D.C. area think he subscribes to the "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" School of reporting. Dude has nothing.

I heard Cooley on the radio last week say the Redskins weren't going to try and sign Cousins, let him leave, and *somehow* find an average quarterback to run the read option, and spend money on the defense.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well so much for that...here's the audio. Just says he'll be back...doesn't say specifically with the Bengals though.

Audio:

To be fair, I can't imagine any coach, going on his weekly radio interview and admitting that he is leaving.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Cooley on the radio last week say the Redskins weren't going to try and sign Cousins, let him leave, and *somehow* find an average quarterback to run the read option, and spend money on the defense.

Doesn't come across as very smart with that does he...