• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Streit Out Six Weeks

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not going to bother looking up what this injury is

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's go time

SandraM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyer season is already a trainwreck.

And with its current roster, that's not going to get any better.
May as well get some young blood up from the AHL and see what they can do.

Lots more losses in the forecast for the Orange n Black, but at least, if they have their young talent in there, they can be evaluated at the NHL level.

So much dead weight on this team right now....its not even funny anymore.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that sounds painful. ouch. let's go though. the youth infusion begins. let's hope he's here to stay.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be upset but Ghost makes everything alright

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um....ouchie.

Sorry Mark is injured he is a class act, so is RJ for that matter but RJ is not the player he was.
Now, let's hope that the kids actually get to play meaningful minutes and show what they can do.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I was about to say that this team (the way that we're currently in such disarray) was one big injury away from a lost season and this just may be that injury.

SandraM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I was about to say that this team (the way that we're currently in such disarray) was one big injury away from a lost season and this just may be that injury.

Thing is, healthy Mark Streit or no, Philadelphia was just in for a world of hurt competing for a playoff spot.
Seems over the off season the Metro as a whole drastically improved, meanwhile, the Flyers returned with virtually the same lineup (minus a couple pieces that were long overdue to be moved....kudos to Hextall on that).

Mark Streit and Nick Schultz were consistently Philly's top defensive pair.
Let that sink in for just a bit.

Uh huh....those two, while serviceable NHL d-men certainly, have NO business being anyone's top pair.

High time for Philly to dig into their cupboards and see what they have in the AHL.

I keep hearing lots of good things about the young d-men down there....what better way to see what they can do (if only in rotating turns), than with an injury to a vet?
This way, the vet player is legitimately removed from the lineup (no hurt feelings) and the young guys get to play.

Season is lost...has been since probably it began.
Streit's injury never really changed that, IMO, but it COULD have opened the door for a nice surprise or two on defense.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, healthy Mark Streit or no, Philadelphia was just in for a world of hurt competing for a playoff spot.
Seems over the off season the Metro as a whole drastically improved, meanwhile, the Flyers returned with virtually the same lineup (minus a couple pieces that were long overdue to be moved....kudos to Hextall on that).

Mark Streit and Nick Schultz were consistently Philly's top defensive pair.
Let that sink in for just a bit.

Uh huh....those two, while serviceable NHL d-men certainly, have NO business being anyone's top pair.

High time for Philly to dig into their cupboards and see what they have in the AHL.

I keep hearing lots of good things about the young d-men down there....what better way to see what they can do (if only in rotating turns), than with an injury to a vet?
This way, the vet player is legitimately removed from the lineup (no hurt feelings) and the young guys get to play.

Season is lost...has been since probably it began.
Streit's injury never really changed that, IMO, but it COULD have opened the door for a nice surprise or two on defense.

I was never quite willing to be that harsh. Our power play last season was 3rd best in the entire Nhl and we haven't done anything to hurt it. In fact, it could've improved slightly on paper. Quite simply, just about the entire team has/had lost their confidence and is/was slumping offensively. That will change.

As everyone has been saying, I don't think we've had the cap space to bring up our Ahler's with a healthy roster. Definitely let them play if we have the room to bring them up, but I'm not ready to mail in the season because of it. Not with two of the league's most dynamic superstars on our team, a fairly deep crop of forwards that are young (with experience) and arguably one of the best goalie tandems once they both get their heads on straight. I'm also absolutely willing to give a guy who coached his first game above the NCAA level just five weeks ago a little leeway here to get fully integrated with his new team and surroundings.

The compete level simply hasn't been there with this team in the last couple weeks, but it was last night, so let's see what we have moving forward.

If the floodgates suddenly open for a guy like Voracek, we're a much better team and that only helps breed offensive success on the other lines moving forward.

Last edited:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never quite willing to be that harsh. Our power play last season was 3rd best in the entire Nhl and we haven't done anything to hurt it. In fact, it could've improved slightly on paper. Quite simply, just about the entire team has/had lost their confidence and is/was slumping offensively. That will change.

As everyone has been saying, I don't think we've had the cap space to bring up our Ahler's with a healthy roster. Definitely let them play if we have the room to bring them up, but I'm not ready to mail in the season because of it. Not with two of the league's most dynamic superstars on our team, a fairly deep crop of forwards that are young (with experience) and arguably one of the best goalie tandems once they both get their heads on straight. I'm also absolutely willing to give a guy who just coached his first game above the NCAA level just five weeks ago a little leeway here to get fully integrated with his new team and surroundings.

The compete level simply hasn't been there with this team in the last couple weeks, but it was last night, so let's see what we have moving forward.

If the floodgates suddenly open for a guy like Voracek, we're a much better team and that only helps breed offensive success on the other lines moving forward.

I don't disagree with this, mailing in the season early wouldn't be good, but I think this injury is a good thing for the Flyers in that Ghost gets to come up and it forces Hexy's hand because now Ghost gets to learn in the NHL and his skill set fits the team well because they need a player like him and they can only be better because of him - and when Mark Streit comes back, I think it also forces their hand to keep Ghost up and eventually ship out Mark Streit for what should be a first round pick - he has the most value of any of the Flyers d-men and with Ghost coming up sooner than they wanted, it can actually help them get a trade done near the deadline if Ghost can keep this play up

SandraM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As everyone has been saying, I don't think we've had the cap space to bring up our Ahler's with a healthy roster. Definitely let them play if we have the room to bring them up, but I'm not ready to mail in the season because of it. Not with two of the league's most dynamic superstars on our team, a fairly deep crop of forwards that are young (with experience) and arguably one of the best goalie tandems once they both get their heads on straight. I'm also absolutely willing to give a guy who coached his first game above the NCAA level just five weeks ago a little leeway here to get fully integrated with his new team and surroundings.

Well, I certainly hope the Flyers can turn it around a bit here.

I have a few posting buddies who are Flyer fans (reasonable ones too), and I'd like nothing better than for them to have some semblence of a season to watch this season.

But the sleddin's gonna be tough.
Whether a guy like Mark Streit was healthy or not.

Not disputing your points on how well the team played at times last season, but the team needed to improve heading into this one to realistically have a shot at making the post season, and that simply didn't happen.

Whether it was because Hextall's hands are still tied with fallout from bad contracts handed out by his predecessor or other reason, bottom line is, the Flyers just have too many players who either really don't 'fit in', are well past their primes of usefulness, or guys you simply can't build around.

And I think that all starts at the defense and works its way towards the front lines.

For sure guys like Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek and Sean Couterier (who I believe is massively underrated BTW), are excellent players.
And others like Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn are good secondary players, but it just isn't enough this season, especially given what Philly's Metro rivals have done to improve themselves.

I don't condone "mailing in a season" at all.
Never.
But there just comes a team during a team's competitive life cycle where an owner and GM just have to look at the product, recognize that it won't get better as currently constructed, then start the process of finding out who and what they have to rise to the top once again.

Just sayin.... this injury to Streit can open some of those doors...albeit it in a forced manner....but open them nonetheless.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially, I think it is just far too early on in the season for the Owner and GM to all but scrap the team and start rebuilding. There are some decent to good/great teams that are still struggling to get it going this season. Anaheim, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit and San Jose are among them. Only two of these teams are currently slotted in the playoffs and they would both be the second wildcard. Really, really hard to believe.

I'm just willing to give Hakstol some time here to show us what he can do with this current group. Yes, the defense is weak at the top end, but I love the top end players and depth at both forward and in net. If some of the younger guys can step in and provide a spark while our forwards play a stronger two-way game and our goalies play to an elite level that we believe they can, this team could sneak into the playoffs. I feel the extra playoff experience would help many of these guys in the future.

Besides, I don't think it is in the competitive spirit/nature of Snider or Hextall for this team to not seriously attempt to make the playoffs year in and year out. That's part of the reason why we love this team. Now, if we get to the trade deadline and we're about as many points out as we have games remaining, then Hextall will certainly do the smart thing and sell to the highest bidders.

Last edited: