• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Managerial Decisions

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the game last night, and overall it was a good game with Zunino getting a second game winning RBI since being called up. I honestly felt that Wedge's managerial decisions may have costed the team the game.

In the 8th inning, Dustin Ackley was coming up with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out and facing a LHP. Ackley had looked terrible at the plate, with two sky high pop ups to the infield and a strikeout looking. Saunders had pinch run for Morales before Ibanez hit his triple, so there was the real possibility that Ackley wouldn't be in CF when the team took the field in the 9th.

Now, at the time I was calling for the M's to pinch hit Smoak for Ackley. A SF was all that was needed, and Ackley just looked bad at the plate (not that that is anything new from him this season). Sure enough, Ackley grounded to first and was lucky it wasn't a DP, after that Zunino struck out looking, ending the threat.

The thing that really irritated me after this though is that Smoak did replace Ackley in the field, playing first while Saunders played center. I have just felt that Smoak would have been the better choice in that situation than Ackley. This isn't the first time that I have felt that Wedge has made "interesting" strategic decisions.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game as well, the fireworks show was really awesome. I did not expect it to be as great as it was. I just expected some quick 5 minute thing.

To be honest with you most of my time at the game was spent talking with my friends so I was not really focusing that much on substitutions but I do agree that this is not the first time that Wedge has made some "interesting" moves.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that that move didn't make much sense. It's not like he'd be sending Ryan up there to pinch hit.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game as well, the fireworks show was really awesome. I did not expect it to be as great as it was. I just expected some quick 5 minute thing.

Yeah, I liked the fireworks, though being in the right field stands the roof blocked the view of the ones outside the stadiums. So I missed a lot of the big ones, especially the massive display during the 1812 finale. So, if I go to another one of these fireworks nights (Aug. 9th), I will definitely be getting seats on the third base line.

I was also impressed with how full the stadium was. I love going to M's games, but with my agoraphobia I avoid crowds. Most of the time its no problem at M's games as it usually only about 1/3 full, but last night must have had 80% capacity.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I liked the fireworks, though being in the right field stands the roof blocked the view of the ones outside the stadiums. So I missed a lot of the big ones, especially the massive display during the 1812 finale. So, if I go to another one of these fireworks nights (Aug. 9th), I will definitely be getting seats on the third base line.

I was also impressed with how full the stadium was. I love going to M's games, but with my agoraphobia I avoid crowds. Most of the time its no problem at M's games as it usually only about 1/3 full, but last night must have had 80% capacity.

We actually got our tickets around an hour before the game started. At one point I was worried it would be sold out. We sat in the upper neck behind home plate almost near the top (But that was mostly to our choosing because we would move up a row when someone would sit infront of us, so we could put our feet up on the seats infront of us). The view was good from where we sat, I don't think we missed anything.

They were actually handing out half off vouchers for the next time they do the fireworks. I have to wonder if they were doing that because it took so long to start.

I was happy to see it crowded. I personally don't think the games are as fun when the stadium is around 20,000 people. A lot more energy when it's a full crowd.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul has a 3-1 count with 1 out and Jason Bay on 1st. Down 2-3.
They send Jason Bay trying to steal 2nd, he gets thrown out.
Raul hits a double to left field.
Smoak singles to left
They send Raul home
He gets thrown out at the plate.

Another interesting managerial decision by Eric Wedge. If not for trying to steal with Jason Bay the Mariners would have tied the game up and could have possibly taken the lead.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually got our tickets around an hour before the game started. At one point I was worried it would be sold out. We sat in the upper neck behind home plate almost near the top (But that was mostly to our choosing because we would move up a row when someone would sit infront of us, so we could put our feet up on the seats infront of us). The view was good from where we sat, I don't think we missed anything.

They were actually handing out half off vouchers for the next time they do the fireworks. I have to wonder if they were doing that because it took so long to start.

I was happy to see it crowded. I personally don't think the games are as fun when the stadium is around 20,000 people. A lot more energy when it's a full crowd.

Yeah, we got our tickets an hour before the game too, but didn't have to move back as the people in front of us moved before the game started, so I had the seats to put my feet up on. I would say that I used to think that there were bad seats at Safeco, but the upper deck in RF are some bad seats. I had the sun in my face most of the game and couldn't see anything that happened in RF, so I just had to wait to hear which fans cheered to figure out what happened whenever it came there.

The vouchers we got were for the Red Sox series next month, but hey, if I use them I'll appreciate the discount!

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at today's game and Wedge made a curious move, or not-move (if that's a word). In the 8th inning, I think, Raul got to 2nd with 2 outs. They didn't pinch run for him and Chavez got a single and Rual was thrown out at the plate. My son and I were were shocked they didn't pinch run Saunders for Raul. We probably would've won the game.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest pet peeve, in terms of in-game decisions, has been sending our slowest players (or oldest) home, usually from first base, on anything resembling a gapper. They've done it with Smoak a few times and the one time I remember them doing it with Morse, Morse got hurt rounding third and was out anyway. I understand sending guys like Ackley, Ryan, Franklin, Saunders and Chavez on plays like that. At least with those guys you have a decent shot of actually scoring the run without someone on defense having to fall down or air-mail the throw to make it happen.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's giving up the DH to put Jason Bay into the OF when Michael Saunders was sitting on the bench. Granted his pinch running helped later on, but....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's giving up the DH to put Jason Bay into the OF when Michael Saunders was sitting on the bench. Granted his pinch running helped later on, but....

I think the reasoning behind that one was Saunders was hurt Friday night when the Cubs 1st baseman stepped on his hand. He was available only to pinch run as he couldnt swing a bat or field. Wedge has made some awful decisions no doubt especially in the bullpen. However injuries and disappointing seasons have made it tough for him ever to get his best lineup out there. It seems like the bench is never all healthy at the same time as someone is always unavailable because of injury. I do not think Wedge is the best manager in the world but at the same time I dont even think a guy like Tony LaRussa could make a difference in the situation we are in.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reasoning behind that one was Saunders was hurt Friday night when the Cubs 1st baseman stepped on his hand. He was available only to pinch run as he couldnt swing a bat or field. Wedge has made some awful decisions no doubt especially in the bullpen. However injuries and disappointing seasons have made it tough for him ever to get his best lineup out there. It seems like the bench is never all healthy at the same time as someone is always unavailable because of injury. I do not think Wedge is the best manager in the world but at the same time I dont even think a guy like Tony LaRussa could make a difference in the situation we are in.

That's no excuse to just mail it in. He's being paid to make the best of what he's got, not to have a "to heck with it, we don't have much of a chance anyway" attitude.