• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic Number for the West

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It seems to me the Canucks need 2 regulation or OT wins of the remaining 7 games to lock up the Western Conference. If Detroit wins out (none in a SO) that would give both teams 51 wins and 4 SO wins. They split the season series. So assuming the above and with both teams having played 82 games, all tie breaks are a wash up to #4, goal differential, which gives the Canucks the West by a wide margin.

2 wins from 7 games.... seems quite doable. Mind you, Detroit has to win all 8.

SEEDING TIEBREAKERS
The top eight teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs. The division winners in each conference are seeded Nos. 1 - 3, and the remaining five teams are seeded Nos. 4 - 8, according to point total.

TIEBREAKER
In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential.

NHL tiebreaking procedures - NHL - ESPN

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks earned more points in teh 4 games they played.

2 OT/SO losses for 2 points
2 Wins in Regulation for 4 points

6 out of 8 points.

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok, so that mean tie breaker #3 not #4 is the answer (I never really understood #3 anyway).... I think the 2 wins still takes the West then, and Wings still need to win out with no SOs ....

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 win or Det loss and we are 1st in West.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would it be 4 points or 3 points for canucks and losses for flyers for presidents trophy?

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it is more Matt... 5 points likely does it, but 6 would insure it. Canucks @ 109 with 6 games left... Phi with 100 and 7 games.... 5 pts gives Canucks 114 (the max Phi could reach) I just am not sure where that would put them in the tie breaker. In any case, 3 wins would do it out of the remaining 6 games. Nash .. LA ... 2 vs Edm ... Wild .. and Flames to finish. There is no doubt in my mind that they can get 3 wins out of that....