• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic Number for Presidents

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is it? 1 win? if canucks and flyers tie canucks should win on wins and/or the only game they played the canucks won.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.5 I think. Flyers can get to 114 so we need 3 points and I believe we have the tiebreaker so we just need 3pts to wrap up the Presidents Trophy

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.5 I think. Flyers can get to 114 so we need 3 points and I believe we have the tiebreaker so we just need 3pts to wrap up the Presidents Trophy

thanks mathman

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Actually, if I read tiebreaker #3 right, the single game win would not come into the equation. If uneven # of home games, the odd one gets tossed from the mix.... If I read it right... Anyway... TB#1 would not be used after season is complete. If wins are equal (TB#2 which PHI could reach if they win out) then I think it would go to TB #4 which is goal differential (Canucks have this one built).

So bottom line seems to me 2 wins from the last 5 games puts Canucks @ 115 pts. which PHI can't reach. And any 3 pts. which includes at least one win by Canucks gives them the President's Trophy by goal differential. It seems entirely doable considering the opposition in the final 5 games (Kings, Oilers x2, Wild and Flames)

TIEBREAKER
In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential.

NHL tiebreaking procedures - NHL - ESPN

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
BOOM!!

trophy_presidentslg.jpg