• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mack Brown: A True Class Act.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many examples, but I'll focus on 2:

1) Tony Hills - In 2002 he gave a verbal commit to the Horns. In 2003 he had a knee injury so significant, he was told by almost everyone he would never play football again. Mack assured him that he offered the scholarship to the young man - not the football player. Here is an excerpt from an article:

"The next week, though, Hills lost sensation in his foot; it seemed as if it wasn't his own size 16 that he saw dangling below his jeans. When a third diagnosis was offered, it was much more dire: nerve damage. Doctors told Hills he had only a 2% chance of playing again. "I never understood what was going on," Hills says. Brown got a message to Mary the day after he heard about Hills' knee: UT would honor its offer. But Hills had been skeptical even before the latest diagnosis. He'd heard enough broken-down-athlete horror tales that ended with "Hey, it's a business."
To reassure both of them, Hills' mother scheduled his official visit to Austin later that December. She insisted on having a wheelchair waiting for him when they arrived. Hills was distraught; that would make him look all the more hopeless. He couldn't fathom how fast he'd gone from Parade All-America to … what, a stock boy at the local grocery?
Pushed by his mom, Hills rolled into the UT football complex and down to Brown's office. In his soft drawl, the coach insisted he still wanted Hills to be part of the Longhorns family. Again, he said Hills could keep his scholarship and work as a student assistant. Maybe he'd help out in the weight room or at practice. But playing football was one subject Brown didn't broach. There was no reason to make the kid talk about how bad he was hurting. Let him focus on his grades, and if he got healthy, great. If not … "You'll help us coach," Brown said. "You're going to get to Texas either way."

2) Kevin Shorter - Nation's #14 Athlete and a Texas verbal commit. Recently he has been backtracking though, saying he is keeping his options open. Then recently he suffered a traumatic spinal compression injury. He was in ICU for days and football suddenly became the last thing on his mind. Mack reached out to him and family and assured them his scholarship would remain good.

In the era of oversigning; Gray shirting; and coaches pulling schollies right and left - We at least have a coach or two out there who treat these kids with some dignity.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone deny's that Macks a nice guy.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Nader had a heart attack while playing HS football in 2006. He could never play football again. Mack honored his scholarship offer and Matt spent the time as a student football assistant.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Brown resigned as coach of UT, he would be a true class act.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Nader had a heart attack while playing HS football in 2006. He could never play football again. Mack honored his scholarship offer and Matt spent the time as a student football assistant.

You'll be hard pressed to find much publicity about these moments though.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gene Chizik signed a kid named Shon Coleman that was diagnosed with cancer and has spent the last two years fighting it. He finally took the field in a limited role this past year in some of the not so interesting games.

Regardless its a success story and I am proud Auburn stood behind the scholarship offer.

To be honest I would imagine you find several of these type situations on most squads and I am sure on most squads there are examples where kids were run off or offers pulled which make the headlines more often.

Its sad that the feel good stories of college football rarely get the attention they deserve.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a list of the coaches that have actually turned a kid down because he got cancer.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the criticisms leveled Mack Brown's way, nobody has ever called him anything but classy.

Even the Sooners and Aggies think he is a class act.

His "aw shucks" folksy oldtime country way is actually probably what has got him into recent troubles.

Sometime we wish he was a little more driven and psychotic....the team gets too mellow at times.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many examples, but I'll focus on 2:

1) Tony Hills - In 2002 he gave a verbal commit to the Horns. In 2003 he had a knee injury so significant, he was told by almost everyone he would never play football again. Mack assured him that he offered the scholarship to the young man - not the football player. Here is an excerpt from an article:

"The next week, though, Hills lost sensation in his foot; it seemed as if it wasn't his own size 16 that he saw dangling below his jeans. When a third diagnosis was offered, it was much more dire: nerve damage. Doctors told Hills he had only a 2% chance of playing again. "I never understood what was going on," Hills says. Brown got a message to Mary the day after he heard about Hills' knee: UT would honor its offer. But Hills had been skeptical even before the latest diagnosis. He'd heard enough broken-down-athlete horror tales that ended with "Hey, it's a business."
To reassure both of them, Hills' mother scheduled his official visit to Austin later that December. She insisted on having a wheelchair waiting for him when they arrived. Hills was distraught; that would make him look all the more hopeless. He couldn't fathom how fast he'd gone from Parade All-America to … what, a stock boy at the local grocery?
Pushed by his mom, Hills rolled into the UT football complex and down to Brown's office. In his soft drawl, the coach insisted he still wanted Hills to be part of the Longhorns family. Again, he said Hills could keep his scholarship and work as a student assistant. Maybe he'd help out in the weight room or at practice. But playing football was one subject Brown didn't broach. There was no reason to make the kid talk about how bad he was hurting. Let him focus on his grades, and if he got healthy, great. If not … "You'll help us coach," Brown said. "You're going to get to Texas either way."

2) Kevin Shorter - Nation's #14 Athlete and a Texas verbal commit. Recently he has been backtracking though, saying he is keeping his options open. Then recently he suffered a traumatic spinal compression injury. He was in ICU for days and football suddenly became the last thing on his mind. Mack reached out to him and family and assured them his scholarship would remain good.

In the era of oversigning; Gray shirting; and coaches pulling schollies right and left - We at least have a coach or two out there who treat these kids with some dignity.

Hey, that’s a nice storyline. I don’t know much about him, but he always seems like a standup guy when I see him in interviews. I have a newly gained respect for the man. That’s the way they ALL should be. Thanks for the post.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old coaches never die, they just set the stage for something better to come along.

Terrific coach from a PAC guy that has watch THIS guy bust balls and show kids the "way-n-the-light".
:suds: