• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Los Angeles Dodgers @ St. Louis Red Birds

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 1/2 a game up heading into the scene of the crime. The Dodgers are notorious for completely shitting the bed in St. Louis. I suspect nothing new this time around with the back end of the rotation.

Dodgers need to keep within 5 games or so of the Giants when the deadline arrives, trade for a starting arm and go for it. Right now, Giants are doing what they do.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep within 5 games? lol
We could very likely be 1.5 out by Monday with no third starter in sight. Anderson, Bolsinger and Frias ain't gonna hold this down forever.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In good news, Seager went 6-6 in Triple A yesterday....

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes.... this could be ugly:

Friday, 5:15 p.m. PT (SportsNet LA, MLB Network)
Mike Bolsinger takes his streak of 23 consecutive batters retired into Friday's series opener. He also carries an active streak of 18⅔ consecutive scoreless innings, and has allowed two runs in his four starts as a Dodger. a John Lackey has allowed only five runs in 27⅔ innings in four home starts this year, with 23 strikeouts and six walks.

Saturday, 4:15 p.m. (Fox)
Left-handed batters are hitting .386/.438/.545 (17-for-44) against Carlos Frias this season. Michael Wacha is 7-0 with a 1.87 ERA this season and has allowed 14 total runs in nine starts, all Cardinal wins. Wacha has allowed more than two earned runs only once this season, but with 35 strikeouts in 57⅔ innings has a strikeout rate (14.8%) much lower than his previous two years (22.5%).

The game will be broadcast exclusively by Fox, with Joe Buck, Tom Verducci, Harold Reynolds and Ken Rosenthal on the call.

Sunday, 11:15 a.m. (SportsNet LA, MLB Network)
With a start on the final day of the month, Brett Anderson will make six starts in a single month for the first time since May 2011. Anderson brings a 2.12 ERA and a 77.3% ground ball rate in May into his Sunday start. Carlos Martinez began his month with two starts allowing seven runs in each one, but in his last two starts has allowed no runs in 13⅓ innings.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers v. St. Louis since 2005:
@ St. Louis 12-24
V. St. Louis 18-18

RS: 659
RA: 733

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35 consecutive scoreless road innings.

Well, this organization is still gutless, we got that going for us still.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.... Looking like a half game back after this loss.

As promised, I said I would reserve judgement on this team until late May/early June. Without further ado... this team will not make the playoffs. It's a good team, say 81-83 wins, but not built for the long haul from a pitching/bullpen stand point. Bullpen can't take on a heavy load and the starters will struggle to go deep. And against teams that grind, work counts- well even if this team did make the playoffs, they'd lose to the likes of the Cards or Giants.

John Jay returned from the DL to grind out a thirteen pitch at bat and had a base hit to show for it. Orel brought up a great point- that at bat may have made Paco a non option for tomorrow. The season is a grind, and this Dodger team is not built for it.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As promised, I said I would reserve judgement on this team until late May/early June. Without further ado... this team will not make the playoffs. It's a good team, say 81-83 wins, but not built for the long haul from a pitching/bullpen stand point. Bullpen can't take on a heavy load and the starters will struggle to go deep. And against teams that grind, work counts- well even if this team did make the playoffs, they'd lose to the likes of the Cards or Giants.

John Jay returned from the DL to grind out a thirteen pitch at bat and had a base hit to show for it. Orel brought up a great point- that at bat may have made Paco a non option for tomorrow. The season is a grind, and this Dodger team is not built for it.

You said that last year too, so it's not anything new.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Dodgers didn't make the playoffs last year? That's new lol.
Oh, did I pick them to come up short? Meh. The were shit in the playoffs.

Ucsb just lost due to a guy stealing home. I fucking hate baseball. Stealing home.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis said the ump questioned his technique implying it was a strike had Ellis framed it properly. I don't blame Ellis for losing it, but not much composure on the Dodgers behalf.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Save us, Jose Lima!
He wasn't a good pitcher (rest his soul), but he was a fun team maskot... Are you saying we need a new team maskot since Uribe is gone?

I think Kiké Hernandez can be the new cheerleader now.

brandon-mcdonald-mlb-atlanta-braves-los-angeles-dodgers-850x560.jpg

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree that we are not playing all that well right now and I'm not all Giddy about the Dodgers like some on here but I do think they are still one of the better teams in the league and that they will make
the playoffs.
While Anderson may not be a #3 guy, I think he is a very capable 4-5 guy.
It is a long year and we may totally fall apart, I don't think so, but being 2-8 against teams with a winning record is a little concerning at this point considering we are playing well overall, we are at least beating the teams you should beat!

Last edited:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that we are not playing all that well right now and I'm not all Giddy about the Dodgers like some on here but I do think they are still one of the better teams in the league and that they will make
the playoffs.
While Anderson may not be a #3 guy, I think he is a very capable 4-5 guy.
It is a long year and we may totally fall apart, I don't think so, but being 2-8 against teams with a winning record is a little concerning at this point considering we are playing well overall, we are at least beating the teams you should beat!

I'm a one man band on this, and even the oddsmakers believe the Dodgers have an 85% chance of making the playoffs. I believe the Giants have a better team. It's a long season so I'm merely predicting from what I see to date.

Kershaw is not going to be last years Kershaw. He had to be nearly superhuman to carry this team to the division. Without his historical performance I don't think we make the playoffs. There was a reason he was the MVP and Cy Young. This year he's still Kershaw but not the 2014 Kershaw (unlucky? Teams getting more aggressive? Statistically impossible to maintain last years dominance? All I the above?). Like I said, our pitching situation does not suggest to me that we are going to win the WS.

Just an opinion. Then again, I wanted to dump Kemp before his red hot second half last year! I have no crystal ball, but this team is not built to beat marquee teams in 5-7 game series. Just don't see it. Same ole, same ole in LA imo

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a one man band on this, and even the oddsmakers believe the Dodgers have an 85% chance of making the playoffs. I believe the Giants have a better team. It's a long season so I'm merely predicting from what I see to date.

Kershaw is not going to be last years Kershaw. He had to be nearly superhuman to carry this team to the division. Without his historical performance I don't think we make the playoffs. There was a reason he was the MVP and Cy Young. This year he's still

Kershaw but not the 2014 Kershaw (unlucky? Teams getting more aggressive? Statistically impossible to maintain last years dominance? All I the above?). Like I said, our pitching situation does not suggest to me that we are going to win the WS.

Just an opinion. Then again, I wanted to dump Kemp before his red hot second half last year! I have no crystal ball, but this team is not built to beat marquee teams in 5-7 game series. Just don't see it. Same ole, same ole in LA imo

Ya I get some of that, but I still think we are good enough to get there, then all bets are off, it comes down to breaks and who's playing well in the playoffs, hopefully that team will be us this year. I still think Kershaw pitched well in the playoffs last year, what are the odds that Lefthanded hitters were going to be the difference against Kershaw. Carpenter, Wong, and Adams had big games against him, that fell under the shit happens category, the odds were against it, but it happened.

But that also goes back to my point that you play your best players against great pitchers regardless of the righty lefty matchup!