• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL, what the hell's been up with the past week

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did they get word from top brass all the sudden to just tank it and into the bottom 10 w-l records?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bpnaz, I am not trying to instigate an argument, but how do you claim to be both a D-Backs and Phis fan. I can't wrap my head around it.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did they get word from top brass all the sudden to just tank it and into the bottom 10 w-l records?
no, maybe sandberg got his $$ contract and now he is just cruising, like the rest of the team. as usual amaro jumped the gun and signed him too soon. why couldn't sandberg get signed after the season?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fucking second-guessing is driving me crazy. If Sandberg wasn't signed, the Phillies would be struggling because he is nervous about his uncertain future. I agree that you should play every game (except regular season after you've clinched a playoff spot and spring training-but even these games should be played at a very high intensity) like it's Game 7 of the World Series, but the fact is most teams do not play nearly as hard as they should when they aren't fighting for a playoff spot. Plus the Phillies are looking at things. If we were struggling for a spot, I doubt Cloyd would be pitching. Down 5-0 after the first, the air is taken out of the balloon for a team like this, even if it shouldn't be.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bpnaz, I am not trying to instigate an argument, but how do you claim to be both a D-Backs and Phis fan. I can't wrap my head around it.

Well, someone like me, who grew up in Florida when there was no team, followed the Phillies. Once Miami got the Marlins I followed them, as well. Then, when I moved to AZ, I followed the DBacks as it is always fun to follow the home town team. Now I live in PA and I follow the Phillies.

I also host a Red Sox forum.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no, maybe sandberg got his $$ contract and now he is just cruising, like the rest of the team. as usual amaro jumped the gun and signed him too soon. why couldn't sandberg get signed after the season?

Or the team just blows and they have been throwing a ton of minor league pitching on the mound. Blaming Sandberg is kind of an odd reaction to have.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, someone like me, who grew up in Florida when there was no team, followed the Phillies. Once Miami got the Marlins I followed them, as well. Then, when I moved to AZ, I followed the DBacks as it is always fun to follow the home town team. Now I live in PA and I follow the Phillies.

I also host a Red Sox forum.

I think someone else would have done things differently given your situation but to each their own.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what you mean.

I don't which part of Florida you lived in, but most people would have rooted to the closest team to you, which I believe is the Braves (shudder). And when people move, they typically are still fans of their hometown team, not switching teams, like Westcoast Phan.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't which part of Florida you lived in, but most people would have rooted to the closest team to you, which I believe is the Braves (shudder). And when people move, they typically are still fans of their hometown team, not switching teams, like Westcoast Phan.

you're right 1philliesfan, for me it is not something you can switch on and off. the phillies were in my blood from whenever I started to remember things. i wish i could just turn the switch off and root for the giants or A's out here...it would be so much easier.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never even slightly root for another team. I'm a Phillies fan until I die, for better or for worse.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would never even slightly root for another team. I'm a Phillies fan until I die, for better or for worse.

Good for you. But, when growing up in a state without a team, before there was MLB packages, the MLB channel, or the internet, and having no association with Philly, other than picking them as a kid because my father had a fading interest in them, it is a little different. I like to travel and move. When I do, I always root for the home team of the location I am in.

So, when you say "someone else would have done things differently" it makes little sense.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said "I think someone else would have done things differently given your situation but to each their own" which basically means "I would not have done what you did, but you did what you did and that's good for you and I don't care"

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Fort Lauderdale. Throughout most of the 80s the Braves sucked. They sucked hard. The early 80s the Phillies were great and had players everyone knew and that was what 6 year old me grabbed onto. Then, as the 80s went on, Philly sucked and the Marlins became a team.

Then the Marlins jerked around the fanbase after they won a world series the first time and I moved to Arizona in '99. Got to watch them win a world series. Then I moved to PA in 2004 and I got to watch the Phillies win a world series.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you're right 1philliesfan, for me it is not something you can switch on and off. the phillies were in my blood from whenever I started to remember things. i wish i could just turn the switch off and root for the giants or A's out here...it would be so much easier.

You have probably always lived in the area.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fort Lauderdale. Throughout most of the 80s the Braves sucked. They sucked hard. The early 80s the Phillies were great and had players everyone knew and that was what 6 year old me grabbed onto. Then, as the 80s went on, Philly sucked and the Marlins became a team.

Then the Marlins jerked around the fanbase after they won a world series the first time and I moved to Arizona in '99. Got to watch them win a world series. Then I moved to PA in 2004 and I got to watch the Phillies win a world series.

Good for you.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how growing up in South Florida it could be tougher to form a strong bond with a team, than living closer to the metropolitan area of a team. If you grew up in Newark, DE as a kid you could come home from school on a Tuesday afternoon, do your homework and sit down to dinner and your dad could say "it's a nice night tonight, let's go see the Phillies", and you could get to the stadium, watch the game and be home by 10 or 11 at the latest. The Phillies games are always on TV and the radio wherever you go in the area. The Phillies are clearly your team and always will be. On the other hand, if you grew up in South Florida, the Braves are like 600 miles away, so you may not ever see a game in person. Plus that area is confusing to begin with because of all the transplants from other cities that continue to follow their "hometown" team, not to mention spring training. I am sure that there are people in those towns that have the Grapefruit league games like Plant City or whatever that follow the major league team that comes and stays in their city for a month every year. Even when Florida got a major league team the ownership did nothing to keep any continuity and try to build a fan base. They got hot a couple times and won the Wild Card and "went all in " those years by adding some players and ended up winning the series a couple times but then immediately got rid of all the good players the next year.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why it would be tough to pick a hometown team growing up in Florida in the early '80s, but I respectfully disagree. He may not get to see any Braves games in person, but he sure as hell isn't seeing any Phillies games either. Choosing to like the Phillies because they were good in the early '80s is no different to me than growing up in Utah in the late '90s and liking the Yankees because they were good. And even if you settled on the Phils, I don't like how you became a Marlins fan, and then became a D-Backs fan, and conveniently got to see both teams win a World Series (joking). Then you moved to PA and looped back to the Phillies. And I'm confused on how the Red Sox got thrown into the mix.

I will conclude this post by saying that you are a grown man, Caligula, and you can follow/root for whatever team(s) you want to. You obviously don't need my approval to like a team. I disagree with which teams you chose to like, but thankfully you are now a Phillies fan-and that's all that matters.