• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions trade for NT Haloti Ngata

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably do that contract for Revis. The ability to take half the field away is something we never had.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis is where I would be looking to spend instead of Hardy. I like what we have at DE

A dominant pass rush upgrades the secondary too. Get him at a cap number under $10MM, bring back Mathis, and draft BDTA in the first and we're set to have a better 2015 than we did 2014.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely not at $16m/yr. But I would be willing to make him the highest paid CB in the league, which means the deal needs to top $14,010,000 avg.
So I would offer 3yr/$42.1m with $30m guaranteed. That is completely in line with the Peterson and Sherman contracts.

I would throw a voidable 4th yr on the deal structured where its a given he would void it but I could still defer some dead $ into that year.

Signing bonus of $16m spread over 4 yrs. Salary $6, $9, $11.1. Cap hits $10, $13, 15.1, 4 dead.

I don't love that contract but I'm trying to win a championship.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should bring back Mathis regardless, IMO. at minimum , he seriously upgrades nickel back

and the money in cap space isn't 17M any longer. That # doesn't include 2015 cap hits for recently signed Prater and K. Moore, plus you have to deduct that 8.5M cap hit from Ngata (unless he extends but I still think the number on an extension would equal that or exceed it). Now that we don't have a 4th and 5th round draft pick this year, we still need approx. 3.9 for the draft pool. The cap space is pretty much gone right now. Ngata and draft pool is 12.4M and assuming Prater and Moore is around 3M for the both, that's 15.4M off that 17M = 1.6M left

DR. evil...... some help here, Please ?

Tully gets cut, soon ????? 3.2M in savings there

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bullshit: Do you not like the post because he's right?? A 4th and a 5th is too much. It's a desperation trade where he got schooled by the Ravens because they knew we were in a horrible position.

Like I am I will bet he is very happy to have Ngata but that doesn't change the fact that the Ravens clearly got the better end of this trade.

Show me a reasonable contract extension and I'll reevaluate my position. Until then its a one year rental on a guy who the Ravens were otherwise going to part with for no compensation.

That was my thinking at first. But if Ngata hits the open market he gets 10-13 million a season in the current market. Maybe a team like Oakland overpays him for a longer period of time. So yea the Ravens would have cut him but the Lions had to pay to keep him off the market. If the Lions can't resign him then they get a decent comp pick in return so the long term hit evens out.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a good deal based on the fact that Ngata only has 1 year left on the contract. Front office put themselves in a bad spot. If Ngata had 2 years at 8-10 million per year. I would of been fine.

There's a good chance that 4th and 5th rounder turn into nothing for the Raven's but draft picks are gold, regardless. Because if you hit on a 4th or 5th rounder. You get a young, hungry starter for pennies on the dollar. Instead Mini-Millen is trying to save face by over paying for older veterans.

Ngata should have a solid year however. But only a 1 year deal. Not excited because I know we will have to pay big time on an extension.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest.... I'm a little pissed that Knighton is getting an ice cold market. Now it seems he could come at a reasonable price and NO draft picks surrendered. Probably considerably cheaper than Ngata

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ex-Miami DT/DE Jared Odrick can receive/sign a 7M per yr. contract, then Knighton for damn sure should get 9-11M per in this kind of market, imo, even though it may very well be a short-term 3-4 years. Knighton is way better than Odrick by a longshot. Odrick suffers as a run-stuffer, Knighton excels as a run stopper and creates a lot of pressure too.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest.... I'm a little pissed that Knighton is getting an ice cold market. Now it seems he could come at a reasonable price and NO draft picks surrendered. Probably considerably cheaper than Ngata
Why not get both? We still need another starting DT if we lose out on Hardy and then if we bring back Mathis we're in a position to draft BPA..

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers have had "discussions" with free agent NT Terrance Knighton.

Savvy GM Ted Thompson appears to be touching base with Knighton in case his price tag plummets and he wants to sign with a Super Bowl contender. The two clubs favored to land Knighton -- Oakland and Denver -- have reportedly both been eliminated from the running. The Packers need nose tackle help. Knighton would be an upgrade on Letroy Guion and B.J. Raji.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got to agree with you Swarm, Ted Thompson is one of the better GM's in the league. His predecessor, Ron Wolf, was as good too.

They make mistakes from time to time but they sure seem to be spot on knowing when to let players of their own hit FA and leave.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a good chance of extending him. Austin and Caldwell were in Baltimore and it's got to help Ngata feel that he is wanted in Detroit being that we gave up a couple of mid rounds to acquire him. The perceived price of this trade will hinge upon a successful extension.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not get both? We still need another starting DT if we lose out on Hardy and then if we bring back Mathis we're in a position to draft BPA..

Cause we don't have cap room now? 8.5 to Ngata and 10 million in dead cap to Suh

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis off the market.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as I am concerned with where we're at in cap space, I'd love to see Knighton in Detroit. even over the projected higher-upside of Fairley.

for me, at this point, I'd be more than happy to have signed the following and feel good

DT Ngata (speaking in terms of extension)
DT Knighton ("The Very Best "run-stopping DT outside of Suh over the last 2 yrs., per media) cut tully 3.2M save
DT CJ Mosley (he's a quality reserve DT who can slide into 3-tech DT or 5-tech DE roles, in a 3-4 base
CB Mathis (he'd come on the cheap and last seen/known, he's still good. could move to nickel role too)
DE George Johnson (another multi-faceted player, DE/OLB stand-up rusher

getting Knighton solves the last DT issue and is worth the signing more so than Revis.Revis is better player, no doubt but we can get by with Mathis.

1st rd should possibly get us Collins or Erving.. either one could slot into LG and Erving can battle Swanson 4 C
that would solve C/LG starter position

2nd rd if a bell-cow RB is there, draft him or should a quality CB drop (Kevin Johnson) solves one other need

3rd rd. opposite of above if they grade out on the Big Board (should have said same above)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we still have another $9MM after taking on Ngata and can clear another $3.5 by releasing Tulloch.

not right now Max.... We had 17M before signing Prater and K.Moore, neither was included as part of that 17M. So, you can drop 3M combined off that 17M for those two, I'm guessing. That leaves 14M... Minus Ngata 8.5M
that leaves 5.5M.. Plus Bynes was signed today, probably 700k.. Mayhew had stated he wanted to bring back Mathis and George Johnson previously and Johnson was tendered roughly 1.5M...Rookie Draft Pool will cost roughly 3.9M, was 4.7M before losing this years 4th and 5th round draft picks...from 5.5M less that 3.9M draft pool $$$ leaves 1.6M

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not right now Max.... We had 17M before signing Prater and K.Moore, neither was included as part of that 17M. So, you can drop 3M combined off that 17M for those two, I'm guessing. That leaves 14M... Minus Ngata 8.5M
that leaves 5.5M.. Plus Bynes was signed today, probably 700k.. Mayhew had stated he wanted to bring back Mathis and George Johnson previously and Johnson was tendered roughly 1.5M...Rookie Draft Pool will cost roughly 3.9M, was 4.7M before losing this years 4th and 5th round draft picks...from 5.5M less that 3.9M draft pool $$$ leaves 1.6M

Check the websites showing cap space. The rookie pool is usually already accounted for and my recollection is of multiple positings showing $17MM AFTER the Prater signing. We should be in decent shape.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check the websites showing cap space. The rookie pool is usually already accounted for and my recollection is of multiple positings showing $17MM AFTER the Prater signing. We should be in decent shape.

I did and have. here's OTC Detroit Lions Salary Cap - Over the Cap
Ngata is in there...8.5M but the top 51, which stands at 134.8M right now, Does Not include Prater, K. Moore, Josh Bynes... and it most certainly isn't inclusive of the rookie pool right now..

I am wrong in that George Johnson's 1.5M tendered offer is inclusive as is Jeremy Ross' for the above 134.8M cap right now

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to cut Tulloch. That dude is way under rated